Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Post Questions

Well i rooted my droid incredible and now I have no idea what to do.

Should I take the root off?
    Is there anyone that can maybe get on the phone and explain this to me?
    Does root void your warranty?

Global Posts
    2,192 Global Posts
    ROM
    JB

Quote Originally Posted by tallyboy29 View Post

So sad no one answers your question . Yes it takes your warranty off but you can always unroot . And head over to http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=635 for awesome roms and themes kernels ect
    Last edited by Upstreammiami; 10-13-2010 at 07:36 AM.
    I'm the ROOT man
    G Talk: Upstreammiami3o5
    Let me help you ROOT your phone

ROM
    HTC One (Verizon) Stock

Whoa whoa, you rooted and have no idea what to do or what you've even done? Don't want to sound like a jacka$$ here but why did you do it if you didn't even know what you were doing?

Granted I'm far from being any kind of fount of knowledge, hell i just rooted my phone a few days ago, but I read for weeks beforehand and knew why I did it.

Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock... For now

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda View Post
    Whoa whoa, you rooted and have no idea what to do or what you've even done? Don't want to sound like a jacka$$ here but why did you do it if you didn't even know what you were doing?

Granted I'm far from being any kind of fount of knowledge, hell i just rooted my phone a few days ago, but I read for weeks beforehand and knew why I did it.
    I hate to agree with anyone with an avatar like Wanda.....

but yeah if you dont know what to do then you had no reason to do it. At least say you want the wireless tether or the ability to use Titanium Backup or something. Get brave and try a Vanilla ROM... see what you like and explore the beauty of openess and personalization.

PS... Just teasin Wanda. Love it!
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Unlocked Rooted
    Love IT!!

ROM
    HTC One (Verizon) Stock

Quote Originally Posted by JTEastwood View Post
    I hate to agree with anyone with an avatar like Wanda.....

but yeah if you dont know what to do then you had no reason to do it. At least say you want the wireless tether or the ability to use Titanium Backup or something. Get brave and try a Vanilla ROM... see what you like and explore the beauty of openess and personalization.

PS... Just teasin Wanda. Love it!

Don't playa hate!!

Global Posts
    2,192 Global Posts
    ROM
    JB

Damn! The guy is asking for help thats why they made forums for. If you can't answer his question then don't even bother commenting
    I'm the ROOT man

ROM
    HTC One (Verizon) Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Upstreammiami View Post
    Damn! The guy is asking for help thats why they made forums for. If you can't answer his question then don't even bother commenting
    I see, and your post was helpful how?

To the OP, rooting is a pretty big decision. You probably should have known what you were doing and why you wanted to do it before you voided your warranty but like was posted above, it can be undone...so to satisfy Upstreammiami here are your answers as best as i can gather:

Should I take the root off? Possibly but why? Seems to me the best reason to root is to take advantage of the customization of your phone or as many of us wanted to root for, to take off the bloat ware Verizon put on after the 2.2 update

Is there anyone that can maybe get on the phone and explain this to me? Again, possibly but I don't know who that would be, better option would be to private message someone and go from there.

Does root void your warranty? Yes. As explained in several places altering your OS by rooting voids the warranty but you can un-root if it bothers you or you need to send it in for defective hardware or something like that. Be advised though, un-rooting is not just a one click process like the rooting was...it doesn't seem difficult but it is more involved than rooting with Unrevoked.

There, everyone happy now?

Global Posts
    2,192 Global Posts
    ROM
    JB

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda View Post
    I see, and your post was helpful how?

To the OP, rooting is a pretty big decision. You probably should have known what you were doing and why you wanted to do it before you voided your warranty but like was posted above, it can be undone...so to satisfy Upstreammiami here are your answers as best as i can gather:

Should I take the root off? Possibly but why? Seems to me the best reason to root is to take advantage of the customization of your phone or as many of us wanted to root for, to take off the bloat ware Verizon put on after the 2.2 update

Is there anyone that can maybe get on the phone and explain this to me? Again, possibly but I don't know who that would be, better option would be to private message someone and go from there.

Does root void your warranty? Yes. As explained in several places altering your OS by rooting voids the warranty but you can un-root if it bothers you or you need to send it in for defective hardware or something like that. Be advised though, un-rooting is not just a one click process like the rooting was...it doesn't seem difficult but it is more involved than rooting with Unrevoked.

There, everyone happy now?
    much better man, it didn't hurt to do that did it
    I'm the ROOT man

ROM
    HTC One (Verizon) Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Upstreammiami View Post
    much better man, it didn't hurt to do that did it
    Excruciating...

Um, back to the question: first, don't worry about unrooting - it isn't likely to make any difference at all.

Second, look around and see what you feel comfortable and/or interested in changing on your phone. Take baby steps and do what you feel comfortable working with. If you are anything like the rest of us, you'll be changing ROMS and themes every other week, if not sooner. this forum, as well as the Incredible forum over at xda developers have a lot of good information just waiting for you to dig it out.

Good luck and have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by tallyboy29 View Post

If you really need to, it is possible to unroot by downgrading to an earlier version on stock Android OS, turning S-ON (assuming that you are on S-OFF now) and then upgrading to the latest version Android OS again. Kind of a pain, but it works. I am running Virtuous ROM now, but I did root, unroot and then root again just to see if I could.