1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Rooting Dinc?

hey guys i just got the Dinc coming from a palm pixi plus. i had that phone for 4 months and was tired of it. it was so boring. i was just wondering what does rooting do for your phone? will it affect my phone (like brick it or damage) and should i wait to have the phone longer? thanks guys and sorry if anyone has ask this question before me

Rooting won't damage the phone, and allows you to make changes to the phone that you can't make otherwise, like removing bloatware or installing custom ROMs.

Rooting is just breaking the protections or locks (however you want to view it) that the carrier puts on it. If you owned a bb previously, custom ROMS are like putting a leaked OS on it. Unlike a leaked OS, which was built by RIM, and leaked out for unofficial testing, Custom ROMS are built by users in the android community. It is cool to try out a few and see if you like them better than what the stock OS is. Also, when your phone becomes older and will no longer get official updates from the carrier, you can count on ROM builders to build you a rom with the lastest versions of Android.

The biggest reason for rooting, IMHO, is the ability to backup my data. Since Android doesn't have anything like Desktop Manager for BB, titanium backup is perfect for me to back up my data once a week in case something happens. You can only do this with Root access as far as I know.

You can also do "nandroid" backups that take a snapshot of your phone and let you restore it to the exact state it's in when you take the snapshot (emails, contacts, everything). That way you can play with custom ROMs and if you don't like them, you just restore the system and you're back where you started.

There's an app called ROM Manager that lets you download and install various ROMs and makes it pretty painless to swap between them whenever you want.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

im really sure how to root my phone and i dont want to mess it up
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

also is can u root froyo or would ihave to downgrade n is that possible

Global Posts
    2,192 Global Posts
    ROM
    JB

Quote Originally Posted by JayVil View Post
    also is can u root froyo or would ihave to downgrade n is that possible
    If you updated your phone to the newest update. Then you can't root if you didn't update then you can. You will have to wait untill unrevoke comes out with the solution.
    I'm the ROOT man
    G Talk: Upstreammiami3o5
    Let me help you ROOT your phone

Global Posts
    847 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Why has nobody mentioned Wi-Fi teathering yet? Is that fad over and I missed the memo? That's the whole reason I rooted in the first place, but now if I go a week with the same ROM I start to get the shakes...
    "In valor, there is hope."
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    6,356 Global Posts
    ROM
    NOS M7 Sense 5.0

That fad has been over for awhile now (joking), wifi tethering is a great option and I get the shakes too.

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

MEMO:
    To: bkorver

RE: Wi-Fi Tether

It's Over

Cc: File
    --------------------------------

Sorry - could not resist!
    Some say that his dormant chips were left that way for YOUR SAFETY... Others say that once "turned on," he can not be turned off... All we know is... He's called The Stig.
    Thanked by:
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

so there is no way to root froyo?

I just rooted with z4 and installed busybox, titanium and then removed all the crappy crappy. Oh yeah I also tested WiFi tether. Working perfectly.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Quote Originally Posted by jsuh View Post
    Yes, there is. As long as you have an AMOLED Incredible you can follow my guide at
    How can you tell if you have an amoled DInc. I dont think i have 1 because i just got mine last week.