Chads Kernel 2.6.32.26-HAVS-BFQ-GPU+-smartass

Goofypook

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to be a dumbass noob, but what are the steps for adding this kernal? Is it the same as flashing/adding a new Rom? Ive done Roms before, but have only read about kernals. any help is appreciated. thanks

luketrocity

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
I found this yesterday as well, same results. Amazing battery life, charges quickly, and great speed. I'll never need another kernal again!

Anyone know what specifically "smartass mode" does?

anicholas7

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Can anyone give me a guide how to flash this kernel. I have flashed roms using rom manager but never a kernel. Also what does ASOP mean and which one should I flash.
Thanks.

rugbyua9

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Here is a little explanation. I guess, to say it simply, it saves your battery life when your phone is sleeping.

smartass governor - is based on the concept of the interactive governor.
I have always agreed that in theory the way interactive works - by taking over the idle loop - is very attractive. I have never managed to tweak it so it would behave decently in real life. Smartass is a complete rewrite of the code plus more. I think its a success. Performance is on par with the "old" minmax and I think smartass is a bit more responsive. Battery life is hard to quantify precisely but it does spend much more time at the lower frequencies.
Smartass will also cap the max frequency when sleeping to 352Mhz (or if your min frequency is higher than 352 - why?! - it will cap it to your min frequency). Lets take for example the 528/176 kernel, it will sleep at 352/176. No need for sleep profiles any more!

rugbyua9

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Can anyone give me a guide how to flash this kernel. I have flashed roms using rom manager but never a kernel. Also what does ASOP mean and which one should I flash.
Thanks.

All you have to do is

1.) Make sure your the kernel is on the root of your sd card.
2.) Reboot into recovery
3.) Install zip from SDCard
4.) Choose ZIP from SD card
5.) Find Chad Kernel
6.) Select yes
7.) Let it run its course
8.) Hit power button to go back to main recovery menu
9.) Advanced
10.) Wipe Davilk Cache
11.) Select Yes to wipe
12) When done, hit power button to go back to main Recovery menu.
13.) Reboot system

It will take a loooong time to boot, longer than normal... dont worry. It will.

Also AOSP = Andriod Open Source Project which would be a CyanogenMOD type ROM. The one you are using, if correct in your signature (Virtuous), is not an AOSP. You can use the normal kernel.

anicholas7

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Flashed Chads kernel. Very easy and painless thanks to Rugbyua9.
Just one question. Is the smartass governor built into the kernel or do I have to install it seperately.

rugbyua9

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Nope, smartass is built in to the profiles.

In setCPU, you will see an added profile called smartass. Should be defaulted on it to begin with.

rugbyua9

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Where do I find setCPU.

Its a program in the market. It allows your to overclock and set profiles.

If you use smartass profile... you basically are on the "wanting better battery life" end of the spectrum I would assume. You also have GPU+ so your 2D and 3D graphics flow smoother which also might eliminate the need to overclock.

If you are on the battery saving end of the spectrum, I would just leave the kernel as is. Just my 2 cents.

anicholas7

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I downloaded this because it was stated that the battery life was increased. This is my main concern with the DINC. Everything else is running great. I just wasn't sure if I needed to do something with this smartass governor. But if its already built in and I don't have to do anything else with this Kernel to increase my battery life then I would prefer to leave it alone and see if I get better battery life.

rugbyua9

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
I downloaded this because it was stated that the battery life was increased. This is my main concern with the DINC. Everything else is running great. I just wasn't sure if I needed to do something with this smartass governor. But if its already built in and I don't have to do anything else with this Kernel to increase my battery life then I would prefer to leave it alone and see if I get better battery life.

Sounds good... looks like you are good to go then! Let me know if you have any more questions!