Facebook for HTC Sense apk file -- Can someone help me out?

dreedy01

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
First off, I don't know if I'm posting this thread in the right forum so if I'm wrong, please forgive me :eek:

So, I rooted my DInc yesterday using Unrevoked 3, soooo easy!! After I rooted, one of the first thing I did was download Root Explorer from the Market so I could delete the majority of the bloatware, however I made a small mistake by deleting the htcfacebook.apk and htcfacebook.odex, the Facebook for HTC Sense contacts syncing app to intergrate your FB contacts with the contacts in your phone book. I have surfed the web, googled till my eyes bled and searched AC's forums for a ripped apk but to no avail. If there someone out there that could hook me up with the apk and odex files I need to get Facebook syncing back on my phone or at least point me in the right direction to get it back on?

Thanks in advance for your help!! :)

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
You may have to restore your Nandroid Backup and re-root, or install the Original ROM and re-root.

I don't recall seeing the Facebook apk's on the forums.

For what it's worth, instead of deleting the bloatware try renaming it from bloatware.apk to bloatware.bkp or bloatware.apk.bkp then if you ever need to restore the original apps, they are right there to rename back.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: dreedy01

douger

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
First off, I don't know if I'm posting this thread in the right forum so if I'm wrong, please forgive me :eek:

So, I rooted my DInc yesterday using Unrevoked 3, soooo easy!! After I rooted, one of the first thing I did was download Root Explorer from the Market so I could delete the majority of the bloatware, however I made a small mistake by deleting the htcfacebook.apk and htcfacebook.odex, the Facebook for HTC Sense contacts syncing app to intergrate your FB contacts with the contacts in your phone book. I have surfed the web, googled till my eyes bled and searched AC's forums for a ripped apk but to no avail. If there someone out there that could hook me up with the apk and odex files I need to get Facebook syncing back on my phone or at least point me in the right direction to get it back on?

Thanks in advance for your help!! :)

Why not install a custom ROM such as Virtuous's? It's already got the bloatware removed, it'll have the .apk you're looking for, and you'll get a nice ROM to boot.

But if you must, download a reasonably stock ROM, unzip it, then search for the files you're looking for. Stick them on your SD card, then use Root Explorer to install it.

I don't think you need the .odex file. Most of the ROM chefs strip those out as one of the first things they do when they cook a new ROM.

This probably explains the process better than I can.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Another way would be to flash a Rom after making a new nandroid backup and then use titanium backup (download from market) and make a backup of the fb apk the restore your nandroid and restore Facebook using titanium backup.

dreedy01

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Another way would be to flash a Rom after making a new nandroid backup and then use titanium backup (download from market) and make a backup of the fb apk the restore your nandroid and restore Facebook using titanium backup.

Thanks for the help guys!

PvilleComp -- I did exactly what you mentioned late last night and downloaded Skyraiders Vanilla ROM and tried pulling the htcfacebook.akp from that ROM. Copied it from the DL to my SD card to the Root file then used Rom Manager to move it to the system/app folder, went to install it and it said Application not Install..am I doing something wrong?

mclarryjr -- Once I rooted and DL'd Rom Manager, I made a backup of the Stock Froyo 2.2 before I did anything, heeding the advice with fellow forum goers and I thought I would go back to the stock ROM and start from scratch but when I went to do that, a message popped up saying "MD5 file is missing". Did the backup fail? Should I not backup with Rom Manager? I am all relatively new to the rooted processes of Android so forgive me if I sound uneducated but any advice would be helpful!

dreedy01

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Try renaming the backup and restore again through recovery.

I'll give that a shot and see, thanks! It's not necessary to have the Sense sync for Facebook on my phone but it is really nice how it intergrates with all the contacts between your phone book and Facebook.

dreedy01

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
When doing a copy like that make sure you open the apk to install it with a file browser

I did and it didn't work unfortunately. I opened it in Root Explorer once I copied it from the Skyraider Vanilla ROM that I DL'd onto my laptop to the root file of the SD Card. I moved it from the Root File to system/app in Root Explorer then tapped on it and tapped install. It asked me to grant permissions and I accepted then it attempted to install and said "Application not Installed". Is this what you are referring to or did I do it wrong?

douger

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I did and it didn't work unfortunately. I opened it in Root Explorer once I copied it from the Skyraider Vanilla ROM that I DL'd onto my laptop to the root file of the SD Card. I moved it from the Root File to system/app in Root Explorer then tapped on it and tapped install. It asked me to grant permissions and I accepted then it attempted to install and said "Application not Installed". Is this what you are referring to or did I do it wrong?

Are you working with a stock Incredible ROM?

Pulling one out of a vanilla ROM won't help you, I don't think. No Sense...it's a different framework.

You can't use the Facebook app that's on the market?

dreedy01

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Are you working with a stock Incredible ROM?

Pulling one out of a vanilla ROM won't help you, I don't think. No Sense...it's a different framework.

You can't use the Facebook app that's on the market?

Actually I am wrong...I pulled the apk from Skyraiders Sense ROM. And yes, I am using the stock Incredible ROM however I do have ClockworkMod recovery installed if that makes any difference, came with the Unrevoked 3 root access. I am using the FB app from the market however that does not sync contacts like the HTC Sense app does.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
+1 for Virtuous as well. I loaded it when I got tired of fighting VZW for updates. Very stable, bloatware is gone and it also includes Hulu and Wi-Fi Teather pre loaded.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01