Tethering question depending on which method you use

jr369

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
what makes the "wireless tether" app for root, PDA net, and easy tether all work with no additional "mobile hotspot" fees???

and just want to know if i understand this correctly that im NOT using the "verizon mobile 3G hotspot" as long as i DONT click that icon in the app drawer or when i connect via usb cable (where is says to mount as a hard drive) and i say away from the "mobile braodband connection" option

just curious.....what makes it use our normal data plan and not the tether plan

sorry if this has been posted before but all i kept reading was: how to do it and that it doesnt cost extra. i want to know why

BSG75

Custom User Title
May 11, 2010
Visit site
As I understand it, Wireless tether/PDAnet use a different tethering method than the official Tether options. The former use "ad hoc" network creation. The latter uses a different, more formal methodology (don't remember the name). I don't know the specifics, but the formal method in the official Tether option allows them to monitor the connections. The ad hoc networks are invisible to the carrier and just look like regular data going to your phone.

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
That and both are legal as far I know, just one lets you pay and keep your warranty, the other voids your warranty. I would only use the tethering if I got a tablet. I really have no need otherwise, but it's always nice to have options, unlike the ifail.

jr369

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
That and both are legal as far I know, just one lets you pay and keep your warranty, the other voids your warranty. I would only use the tethering if I got a tablet. I really have no need otherwise, but it's always nice to have options, unlike the ifail.

the wireless tether is for rooted phone but you can always unroot or just claim your insurance that your phone is broke so much for the warranty then.

the PDA net and easy tether lite are for unrooted phones this much i know

jr369

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
As I understand it, Wireless tether/PDAnet use a different tethering method than the official Tether options. The former use "ad hoc" network creation. The latter uses a different, more formal methodology (don't remember the name). I don't know the specifics, but the formal method in the official Tether option allows them to monitor the connections. The ad hoc networks are invisible to the carrier and just look like regular data going to your phone.

as far as the ad hoc methods i did see that under some youtube videos on how to set it up but i think thats for the bluetooth method the "wireless tether" wifi method was super easy to setup just like you would connecting to any wifi hotspot

so im gathering that its the way the connection uses it and tells it to just use the 3G network but without the "tether"

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
The Official Hotspot uses the monitored data connection on the phone, the Tethering apps and WiFi Hotspot apps rout the data through the browser so that the traffic can not be distinguished from regular web surfing.

This is a layman’s explanation. I have not done enough code banging lately to get specific so I'm not sure of the underlying elements behind it. Essentially, these apps are spoofing as a browser to avoid specific traffic type monitoring.

Reactions: jr369

jr369

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
The Official Hotspot uses the monitored data connection on the phone, the Tethering apps and WiFi Hotspot apps rout the data through the browser so that the traffic can not be distinguished from regular web surfing.

This is a layman?s explanation. I have not done enough code banging lately to get specific so I'm not sure of the underlying elements behind it. Essentially, these apps are spoofing as a browser to avoid specific traffic type monitoring.

ok thats what i wanted to know. how its done i dont care as long as i dont get charged extra im happy as a clam.

how sure are you on this?

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
ok thats what i wanted to know. how its done i dont care as long as i dont get charged extra im happy as a clam.

how sure are you on this?

Everything I've read on them says they use browser data. I've used my Wireless Tether app a few times in the field when I was in a jam with no issues.

I'm sure if you start using it 24/7 to stream movies they will have an issue with it. As Kyle Gibb once said in another thread "The nail that's the highest gets hit the hardest!" So in short, don?t be silly and you should be fine.

jr369

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Everything I've read on them says they use browser data. I've used my Wireless Tether app a few times in the field when I was in a jam with no issues.

I'm sure if you start using it 24/7 to stream movies they will have an issue with it. As Kyle Gibb once said in another thread "The nail that's the highest gets hit the hardest!" So in short, don?t be silly and you should be fine.

i hear you on the not using it 24/7 which i dont intend to. But its nice to have if you need it

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
the wireless tether is for rooted phone but you can always unroot or just claim your insurance that your phone is broke so much for the warranty then.

the PDA net and easy tether lite are for unrooted phones this much i know

I stopped using the insurance. For 9 bucks a month, plus a $90 co pay it's not worth it. I always have two upgrades on my family share line. My inlaws never use their phones so they last forever. I just replace the batteries when they die. My father in law has had the same phone for 4 years. I can always use his upgrade if I need to. After a year of insurance and the co pay, it's the same price if I just use an upgrade. I know not everyone is in this boat, but if you get a good case, and take care of your phone, you won't get ripped off by the insurance. Sorry to rant, but insurance companies are crooks and thiefs....period.

jr369

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I stopped using the insurance. For 9 bucks a month, plus a $90 co pay it's not worth it. I always have two upgrades on my family share line. My inlaws never use their phones so they last forever. I just replace the batteries when they die. My father in law has had the same phone for 4 years. I can always use his upgrade if I need to. After a year of insurance and the co pay, it's the same price if I just use an upgrade. I know not everyone is in this boat, but if you get a good case, and take care of your phone, you won't get ripped off by the insurance. Sorry to rant, but insurance companies are crooks and thiefs....period.

i think you kinda lost the point of what i was saying. i was saying if you were to root your phone and screw it up just file an insurance claim and say you lost it and pay the deductible etc. but at least you dont have to pay full price for a new phone