Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Is UnrEVOked all I need?

Hey guys. I have a DINC running 2.2 and I'm thinking about rooting it. Main reasons are to get rid of the bloatware running on the device that VZW added and to increase battery life.

I just wanted to know if UnrEVOked was all I needed to have a bloat free phone.

What launcher will the phone be using? I currently am running Launcher Pro instead of sense and would like to keep LP.

Also has anyone had success running UnrEVOked on a Mac without booting Windows?

Thanks

Unrevoked is all you need. Using a mac is actually EASIER with unrevoked. Just download the program from unrevoked onto your mac and follow the directions. Make sure you read everything BEFORE plugging in your phone to your computer.

Unrevoked will give you s-off as well.

All unrevoked will do is root the phone giving you superuser access. Nothing will change. Once your phone is rooted, you will have the ability to change many things about your phone (rom, kernel, etc) but just rooting will not change it at all. It will still be the same phone you had.

Just rooting alone will not give you better battery life. Kernels, roms, and apps like SetCPU will help with that, but just gaining SU access won't increase the battery life alone.
    Devices:

Rooted HTC Droid Incredible
    Rooted Nook Color
    Rooted HTC Rezound
    Soon to be rooted Galaxy S4

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

Unrevoked works fine on the mac. Just follow the directions on the Unrevoked website and you should be fine.

Rooting will not change any of the software on your phone; it will just allow you superuser privileges on the phone, so yes you can still use LP.

When removing the bloatware I would recommend something like Root Explorer from the market, and just rename the bloatware.apk to bloatware.apk.bak. This will functionally remove the bloatware but you can easily put it back if necessary.

Also, it's part of the Unrevoked process, but be sure you make a nandroid backup and then make a copy of that to you computer for safe keeping. This way you can go back to pre-rooted state if/when you need to.

Hope this helps.
    Some say that his dormant chips were left that way for YOUR SAFETY... Others say that once "turned on," he can not be turned off... All we know is... He's called The Stig.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

How do I then remove Sense? Is there a thread that goes over the different ways to increase battery life while rooted?

ROM
    HTC One (Verizon) Stock

Quote Originally Posted by drumzalicious View Post
    How do I then remove Sense? Is there a thread that goes over the different ways to increase battery life while rooted?
    To remove Sense you'll have to flash a "senseless rom" or a vanilla rom. theres a lot to choose from.

I'd do lots 'o reading before comitting even though its fairly easy to undo, provided you know what your doing and have made backups.

Priority 1 after you root is the nandroid backup BEFORE YOU CHANGE ANYTHING. That way you can always go back to the original 2.2 if you don't like the ROM you've chosen or it just isn't working. In fact i do a back up before flashing any ROM so i can go back to the previous ROM if dont like the new one. All these back ups take up quite a bit of room so copying them to a computer and getting them off the SD makes life easy.

As far as better battery life, now your talking undervolting cpu's, kernals and a lot of other technical stuff that requires more reading so you know what your doing, preferably before you do it. You'll find that certain kernals don't play well with certain ROMs and when that is the case your ability to do a nandroid restore will be your best friend.

there are threads that cover all this. do an advanced search and just put in droid incredible for the forum to search in.

Global Posts
    2,199 Global Posts
    ROM
    JB

I would love to help but negativo on Mac's lol I'm not the root man on that
    I'm the ROOT man
    G Talk: Upstreammiami3o5
    Let me help you ROOT your phone
    Thanked by:

ROM
    HTC One (Verizon) Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Upstreammiami View Post
    I would love to help but negativo on Mac's lol I'm not the root man on that
    It's piece of cake on a Mac.

Download the appropriate Unrevoked, plug in the phone, let it run. Your done. You are now rooted.

If a knuckle-head like me can figure it out anyone can.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Thanks guys I'm going to give it a shot just do at least get rid of this bloatware.

Global Posts
    400 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/CyanogenMod7

Unrevoked will work perfect, used it on my buddies Incredible last night.

To remove the Bloat just MAKE SURE you freeze it instead of deleting/uninstalling it. Use an app like Bloat Freezer, Titanium Backup PREMIUM, or do it manually through the command line.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Bah. Looks like no root for me. I have tried connecting a few different times to no avail.

ROM
    Stock (for now)

Uninstall HTC Sync (if indeed it works on a Mac...).
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

I got it to work. Had to get rid of the drivers that easy tether installed. Now only problem is Titanium Backup is telling me it can't access root. When I try and install busy box it just resets my phone.

Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7

I am an *****. I used unrevoked and somehow messed up the back up.anything I can do?

I had this same exact situation happen to me, only difference was for pc. Unrevoked 3 would tell me that the process was complete (Clockworkmod installed, Superuser.apk installed), but when I try to use one of my root apps it states that I am not rooted. I did try re-running unrevoked but it fails on the applying root portion of the operation stating "Do you have a newer version installed"? Any help here would be much appreciated.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Well in Titanium Backup there is a option that's under help I believe that will install busy box on your phone then everything works within the app

Global Posts
    159 Global Posts

I got it to work. Had to get rid of the drivers that easy tether installed. Now only problem is Titanium Backup is telling me it can't access root. When I try and install busy box it just resets my phone.
    I'm not sure but if you primarily want to remove bloatware, I'd just flash one on the vanilla ROMs. I use SkyRaider Sense so I'd think the Athena ROM would be right up your alley. It does look like he's taking a break from programming but I really like how my phone works now.

ROM
    Stock (for now)

Do you have the Superuser app installed? (it'll show up in your app drawer). If not, run unrEVOked again. Make sure that all HTC-related programs have been uninstalled.

Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    ROM
    2.2 Froyo Stock

If you need help with rooting Upstreammiami is your man..spent a good bit of time helping me sort out my usb problems via remote log in and took the trouble to set me all up thanks for everything Upstreammiami

ROM
    Unlocked Atrix bootloader

It can be frustrating, but don't give up. a rooted phone is infinitely better than a stock one, and has many more possibilities.
    (GSM) Galaxy Nexus on AT&T