Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910
Like Tree7Likes

Default Re: [GUIDE] How to root, un-root and rom your Droid Incredible.

What ROM did you decide on?
    I'm thinking about going this route to refresh my as-yet-unrooted DInc instead of upgrading to a 4G (still can't stomach the loss of unlimited data).

Quote Originally Posted by RoFu View Post
    I'm thinking about going this route to refresh my as-yet-unrooted DInc instead of upgrading to a 4G (still can't stomach the loss of unlimited data).
    If you already have an unlimited data plan, you shouldn't lose it when you upgrade to 4G. You'll be grandfathered in so that you can keep your unlimited data plan.

I settled on the Cyanogenmod ROM just before I bought the Rezound. Honestly, I haven't touched my DInc much since getting the Rezound, though. Too many nice improvements in the Rezound, and I LOVE the bigger, sharper screen.
    Palm Treo 650 > Treo 700p > BB Curve 8330 > DInc (r) > Rezound (r) > custom Moto X
    Transformer Pad Infinity (r CROMi-X)
    Thanked by:
    RoFu 

ROM
    CM7 Nightly20120226

CM7 currently...although I am shopping around. LOL I dont settle quickly
    Thanked by:
    RoFu 

Quote Originally Posted by TBolt View Post
    If you already have an unlimited data plan, you shouldn't lose it when you upgrade to 4G. You'll be grandfathered in so that you can keep your unlimited data plan.
    Seriously?! Who do you have to know to make that happen?

Everywhere I've asked (and everywhere online where you can try to upgrade), you're pushed to switch data plans.

Or is it just an issue of paying full price for the newer phone and not starting a "new" 2-year contract?

Seriously?! Who do you have to know to make that happen?

Everywhere I've asked (and everywhere online where you can try to upgrade), you're pushed to switch data plans.

Or is it just an issue of paying full price for the newer phone and not starting a "new" 2-year contract?
    You don't have to know anyone! I just upgraded to the Rezound, and I still have my unlimited data plan. I renewed my 2-yr commitment, too. I have a regular consumer account - nothing special.

I don't know if there is something oddball about your existing Verizon Wireless account. Discuss it with customer service (*611 on your phone) -- they ought to let you keep your unlimited plan, just as all of their other customers did.
    Palm Treo 650 > Treo 700p > BB Curve 8330 > DInc (r) > Rezound (r) > custom Moto X
    Transformer Pad Infinity (r CROMi-X)
    Thanked by:
    RoFu 

Quote Originally Posted by TBolt View Post
    You don't have to know anyone! I just upgraded to the Rezound, and I still have my unlimited data plan. I renewed my 2-yr commitment, too. I have a regular consumer account - nothing special.

I don't know if there is something oddball about your existing Verizon Wireless account. Discuss it with customer service (*611 on your phone) -- they ought to let you keep your unlimited plan, just as all of their other customers did.
    Wow! That's good to know... If I try to upgrade online, the ordering system barfs when I try to keep the existing data plan. My last "New Every Two" isn't up 'til May, but a local Verizon rep last night offered to go ahead and front me the bonus now... but they again, they price the Nexus at $299... and vzw.com prices it at $249.

CM7 on my DInc sounds pretty good for now...

Thanks for the info.

ROM
    CyanogenMod

Forgive me if this has been answered somewhere else, but I wasn't able to find it in a decent amount of time searching. Instructions or a link to some would be much appreciated.

I am trying to root my Droid Incredible (running 2.3.4) with Mac OSX.

I have tried unRevoked 3 and kept getting an error (firmware too new?).

I'm not a complete noob, but I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but do I have to downgrade to 2.2? If so, how do I do that on a Mac?

Thanks in advance.

ROM
    CyanogenMod

Quote Originally Posted by mcguirej View Post
    Forgive me if this has been answered somewhere else, but I wasn't able to find it in a decent amount of time searching. Instructions or a link to some would be much appreciated.

I'm not a complete noob, but I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but do I have to downgrade to 2.2? If so, how do I do that on a Mac?

Thanks in advance.
    Never mind, I figured it out.

im getting the error firmware too new? and cant figure it out, what did you do? I just have stock apps etc not sure whats holding it up

ROM
    CyanogenMod

Quote Originally Posted by NSCHMAUS View Post
    im getting the error firmware too new? and cant figure it out, what did you do? I just have stock apps etc not sure whats holding it up
    Sorry for the delayed reply, but its been a few months since I went through this I can't remember exactly what I did. From what I remember, there are two reasons you will get that error: 1) certain installed apps 2) trying to root from Gingerbread.

If I remember right, I was trying to root from Gingerbread and got that error. So, you first have to downgrade to Froyo and then root. Once I did that, everything was fine. All of the information you need can be found in this thread/forum and other online forums. If you need anymore help, let me know.

Global Posts
    683 Global Posts

On the very first step of the rooting process, when trying to install the HBoot drivers, I am not given the option for HBoot USB as the instructions indicate. The fourth option down is Factory Reset. What should I do?

Edit: nevermind, it seems my phone was somehow one step ahead.
    Last edited by Vance; 07-26-2012 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mcguirej View Post

Thanks in advance.
    Hi all, I'm new here & have been searching the forums w/ no luck. I'm in this person's situation, however, unlike him/her I have yet to figure out a fix. Please help!

I followed till step 3 and was so far so good. On step 3, when I tried to run unrevoked 3, it said device vivo not supported. I am using HTC incredible S. Any help is appreciated.

hello guys i am in the process of rooting my incredible and i am following the guide step by step when i get to step 5 and i am using unrevoked 3 it always works for a bit then says error: failed to get root is your firmware to new ? ive tried twice any ideas thanks in advance.

got it i am currently running gingerbread so i need to fix that first thanks guys.

I think I did all the steps right and i ended up with "failed to get root is your firmware to new?" Please help!

BTW thanks for the work on this, good stuff!

I can't seem to figure out the directions to turn s-off any advise? maybe in terms a non computer dude could fallow. thanks

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

Richard - you need to downgrade to Froyo for Unrevoked to work. The files you need are here:

Ho to's are here:

Once downgraded then you can root with Unrevoked and get S-Off
    Some say that his dormant chips were left that way for YOUR SAFETY... Others say that once "turned on," he can not be turned off... All we know is... He's called The Stig.

ROM
    SkyRaider4.0KingxKernel#6

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    That's not true at all. There are multiple things that could go wrong but for the most part they don't. A dev could host a bad file for one.

I didn't criticize anyone...
    Please do not criticize others negatively because it is unneeded. If you don't have anything nice to say, dont say anything.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

I have a Droid Incredible, software 2.3.4. I got the HBoot drivers installed and am trying to root the phone with unrevoked3. It sees the phone fine, boots into the hboot screen correctly, and tries to get root. However it gives me an error in unrevoked saying : "Error: failed to get root. Is your firmware too new?" Is this version of Gingerbread too new? I don't have HTC sync installed on my computer either. Thanks,

Man noob sux...rooted w z4 temp root.
    .can I get any roms?

Having trouble

Is there a way to root my HTC Incredible 4G LTE without a computer. I tried your way. Didn't get past Step 0. It was one thing or another that kept me from doing that. I got so far in getting the drivers, then I was missing a file on my comp. that it needed in order to run. So, I got that. Then in order to use that file, I think with what my phone was saying and these sites, I need to unlock my bootloader to access something on there. Sorry, I know some of this is vague and sounds like I'm a complete *****. I've researched this stuff and have a slightly more than general understanding of it. It's just I've been trying to do this about 20 different ways. Ok, only a couple ways, but several web sites in the google search lead me to believe they can help and have the process, then don't. I'm starting to get aggravated at this. Anyway, I ended up at HTCdev to unlock my bootloader. Downloaded a few more files to get that to work, then the second to last step was to do the command prompt, and even though I saved the file, it said it didn't exist. It wasn't an internal or external location or file name. Plain and simple, I just want to root my phone so I can get a screen recorder app. Unless you know of a screen recorder app that doesn't require root permission. Thanks. This site here actually made sense, and simplified the rooting process. Made it easy to understand, even though I was not able to do it, I know how to if I can get those kinks worked out. So thanks again.

got an error message: [GUIDE] How to root, un-root and rom your Droid Incredible.-screen-shot-2013-12-22-7.22.32-pm.png
    currently running Android version: 2.3.4, Baseband version: 2.15.10.12.20, Kernel version: 2.6.35.13-g22d3486 htc-kernel@and18-2 #1 Tue May 22 20:56:42 CST 2012, Build number: 4.08.605.15 CL389630 release-keys, Software number: 4.08.605.15 710RD
    any help would be appreciated

i'm having same prob ejb1013 did on 2-27-11, any help since i'm running 2.3.4
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910