Like Tree7Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #51  
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,393 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 7 / Incredikernel .37

Quote Originally Posted by PvilleComp View Post
    NAND is the memory section of the phone that houses the OS and other System/radio info for the phone. It's called NAND because of the type of memory it is. It is able to maintain state without Power. (i.e. if you do a battery pull you do not lose your OS) The NAND is locked in un-rooted phones and can not be accessd by the user. The rooting process unlocks the NAND so you can flash ROMS/Radios/Splash screens and the like.

A NANDroid backup is a backup of the NAND memory section of the device, it's been "droided" because it's Android and geeks are funny that way!

Hope this helps!
    I always wondered this. Thanks for the info. You learn something new every day.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I always wondered this. Thanks for the info. You learn something new every day.

My Pleasure... Not as cool as the origin of the term "Bug" in computer lingo, but geek cool nonetheless!
    Some say that his dormant chips were left that way for YOUR SAFETY... Others say that once "turned on," he can not be turned off... All we know is... He's called The Stig.

Help Please!

Im a noob at this but i have succesfully rooted my phone. now i want to flash a new rom (prob CM7) but im having a few issues.

1st off im pretty sure that Nand is unlocked because unless im mistaken its is unlocked by UnrEVOked 3, correct me if im wrong.

2nd what is Koush's Clockwork Recovery and where can i get it or how do i work it? Im a little confused on that part.

3rd when i go to download a rom though rom manager it says i need to download CM Recovery so i try to do it and i select my phone then i get an erroe message that reads "an error occured while flashing your recovery"

What so i do guys?! i really want the CM7 Rom so i need some help.

Thanks in advance!!

ps- i have also downloaded titanium and completed a total backup of apps and system settings.

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

Quote Originally Posted by Don Veneziano View Post
    Help Please!

Im a noob at this but i have succesfully rooted my phone. now i want to flash a new rom (prob CM7) but im having a few issues.

1st off im pretty sure that Nand is unlocked because unless im mistaken its is unlocked by UnrEVOked 3, correct me if im wrong.

2nd what is Koush's Clockwork Recovery and where can i get it or how do i work it? Im a little confused on that part.

3rd when i go to download a rom though rom manager it says i need to download CM Recovery so i try to do it and i select my phone then i get an erroe message that reads "an error occured while flashing your recovery"

What so i do guys?! i really want the CM7 Rom so i need some help.

Thanks in advance!!

ps- i have also downloaded titanium and completed a total backup of apps and system settings.
    Hook your phone up to your computer in Disk mode and make sure your SD card is formatted FAT32. If it's not, copy everything off your SD Card to your computer, format the card so it's FAT32 and copy everything back. Recovery won't upgrade unless your card is FAT32 and ROM Manager needs to install Clockwork for it to work properly.

Or, you could go manual. Download the ROM you want to your SD Card and boot into recovery by holding down the volume rocker while turning the phone on. This will take you to HBOOT, which will allow you to get to Recovery. You can wipe and reset your data there and then flash your ROM zip as well.

Hope this helps.
    Some say that his dormant chips were left that way for YOUR SAFETY... Others say that once "turned on," he can not be turned off... All we know is... He's called The Stig.

Quote Originally Posted by PvilleComp View Post
    Hook your phone up to your computer in Disk mode and make sure your SD card is formatted FAT32. If it's not, copy everything off your SD Card to your computer, format the card so it's FAT32 and copy everything back. Recovery won't upgrade unless your card is FAT32 and ROM Manager needs to install Clockwork for it to work properly.

Or, you could go manual. Download the ROM you want to your SD Card and boot into recovery by holding down the volume rocker while turning the phone on. This will take you to HBOOT, which will allow you to get to Recovery. You can wipe and reset your data there and then flash your ROM zip as well.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks for the help! I'm going to give this a try after work tonight and see if that works.

Just wanted to say that I successfully rooted last night and flashed CM7 RC2. Thanks to everyone on this thread for all the info!

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

Quote Originally Posted by mikec8785 View Post
    Just wanted to say that I successfully rooted last night and flashed CM7 RC2. Thanks to everyone on this thread for all the info!
    Welcome to AC and Welcome to the Dark Side... We have cookies!
    Android Addict

ROM
    Stock rooted 4.1.2 JB

Quote Originally Posted by mikec8785 View Post
    So is GPS working now with RC2? I'm really debating flashing to RC2 or waiting for the stable release.
    @Android_Lee
    Galaxy Note III
    KitKat 4.4 Stock
    Nexus 5
    KitKat 4.4 Stock
    Nexus 7
    KitKat 4.4 Stock Rooted

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

Quote Originally Posted by ucluglee View Post
    So is GPS working now with RC2? I'm really debating flashing to RC2 or waiting for the stable release.
    GPS has been working in CM7 for a while. I use it almost every day.

I also wanted to say that i an a total noob at this stuff and i have succefully rotoed and flashed CM7 RC2 on my Incredible thanks to this great write up.
    Android Addict

ROM
    Stock rooted 4.1.2 JB

I just flashed mine to CyanogenMod 7 RC2. I can't believe I drug my feet this long about doing it.
    @Android_Lee
    Galaxy Note III
    KitKat 4.4 Stock
    Nexus 5
    KitKat 4.4 Stock
    Nexus 7
    KitKat 4.4 Stock Rooted
    The Ever-Living

Global Posts
    5,097 Global Posts
    ROM
    KANG

I just flashed mine to CyanogenMod 7 RC2. I can't believe I drug my feet this long about doing it.
    It's awesome, right?
    Android Addict

ROM
    Stock rooted 4.1.2 JB

Quote Originally Posted by zero neck View Post
    It's awesome, right?
    It's different, I'll give it that much. Haven't really pounded on it yet, so I'm refraining from calling it "awesome" just yet. Still working on my "like/dislike" list. One huge dislike so far, but I'm searching for it before I ask.
    @Android_Lee
    Galaxy Note III
    KitKat 4.4 Stock
    Nexus 5
    KitKat 4.4 Stock
    Nexus 7
    KitKat 4.4 Stock Rooted
    Android Addict

ROM
    Stock rooted 4.1.2 JB

Ah, found it. I want to set different ring tones for certain contacts:

1) Click desired contact
    2) Menu -> Options
    3) Click Ringtone
    4) Select desired ring tone
    @Android_Lee
    Galaxy Note III
    KitKat 4.4 Stock
    Nexus 5
    KitKat 4.4 Stock
    Nexus 7
    KitKat 4.4 Stock Rooted
    The Ever-Living

Global Posts
    5,097 Global Posts
    ROM
    KANG

I like it alot. I've only had the incredible for about 3.5 months, and i only started to flash roms 1-2 months ago, but before cm7 the only rom i stayed on for more than 2-3 days was athena 1.2

And cm7 is packed with features and minimal at the same time. Which is right up my alley.

Default Thank you!!

I am completely new to this, so I was hesitant to root at first but ultimately decided to do so in order to gain access to Wireless Tether. There were moments where I panicked and got terribly nervous, but I just sat back and watched. In the end, it was quick, painless, and worked! Thank you so much for the incredibly clear, straight-forward guide!

So I started the guide and did everything as said but enrEVOked won't find my phone and I cant figure out why. Any ideas?
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #68  
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,393 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 7 / Incredikernel .37

Did uninstall the HTC drivers and then then install the ones listed in the guide to allow your device to be recognized?

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Did uninstall the HTC drivers and then then install the ones listed in the guide to allow your device to be recognized?

I installed all the ones that were linked to in the guide. Which ones am I supposed to uninstall. I know I don't have HTC Sync is there something else I'm missing?
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #70  
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,393 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 7 / Incredikernel .37

did you put your device into 'debug' mode?

Yep.

Hey guys so I'm a noob and any help would be greatly appreciated.

So i rooted my Dinc yesterday with no problems using your guidelines and have been trying to flash CM RC2. I used Rom manager and when it installs I get stuck at a screen with the logo that has an arrow circling around it. I then have to do a battery pull and restore my stock rom. I have done this about a half dozen times. Any ideas?

Also....I flashed a rom called fusion ice and it worked fine but there is no link for the market and it won't let me sync contacts with google. I used the browser to go to the market and dl titanium backup(where I saved all my apps of course) and I installed it but the app was nowhere to be found on my phone. I'm back on my stock rom for now but if this happens with another rom is there something I can do? I installed this rom twice once with ROM manager and once with Clockwork Recovery.

Once last thing. When I hook my phone to my PC(using windows) I have two SD card files. One is removable storage G (FAT 32) and the other is rem st H (FAT). What's the difference and which one do I want to be my saving my files to?

Sorry for all the questions guys. I tried to figure things out on my own and it just wasn't working.

Quote Originally Posted by IanXXX8325 View Post

So i rooted my Dinc yesterday with no problems using your guidelines and have been trying to flash CM RC2. I used Rom manager and when it installs I get stuck at a screen with the logo that has an arrow circling around it. I then have to do a battery pull and restore my stock rom. I have done this about a half dozen times. Any ideas?

Also....I flashed a rom called fusion ice and it worked fine but there is no link for the market and it won't let me sync contacts with google. I used the browser to go to the market and dl titanium backup(where I saved all my apps of course) and I installed it but the app was nowhere to be found on my phone. I'm back on my stock rom for now but if this happens with another rom is there something I can do? I installed this rom twice once with ROM manager and once with Clockwork Recovery.

Once last thing. When I hook my phone to my PC(using windows) I have two SD card files. One is removable storage G (FAT 32) and the other is rem st H (FAT). What's the difference and which one do I want to be my saving my files to?

Sorry for all the questions guys. I tried to figure things out on my own and it just wasn't working.

Did you have problems rooting your phone? Like I said I'm stuck with unrEVOked not recognizing my Dinc. Hopefully someone else had this problem and was able to work around it.
    The Ever-Living

Global Posts
    5,097 Global Posts
    ROM
    KANG

Quote Originally Posted by IanXXX8325 View Post

Your sd card might be partitioned? im not sure. if you don't have anhyting important on your sd card, or you back up the files you need, you could reformat the card for fat32.

to install rc2 you should boot your phone into recover mode, wipe the cache partition, dalvik cash, (and a data wipe if coming from a rom that's not cm7), then choose to install zip from sd card, find the file in rom manager sdcard/clockworkmod/downloads/ (i think), and flash the zip file. you probably also downloaded gapps thru rom manager? so that file should be in that same folder and you can flash that after you flash rc2.

then reboot the phone and let the cm logo go through it's thing for at least 5 or 10 minutes (bc it takes a while) and you should be straight.
    The Ever-Living

Global Posts
    5,097 Global Posts
    ROM
    KANG

Quote Originally Posted by tjl87 View Post
    Did you have problems rooting your phone? Like I said I'm stuck with unrEVOked not recognizing my Dinc. Hopefully someone else had this problem and was able to work around it.
    are you using a pc or a mac?
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast