[GUIDE] How to root, un-root and rom your Droid Incredible.

kubla

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Here is a simple guide to take your rooted phone back to stock, S-on, and stock recovery.

Before you start make sure you have a rooted Droid Incredible with clockworkmod recovery and have your sdcard formatted to fat32.
To format your card an easy way is to connect your Incredible with sdcard to your windows computer. On your device select disk drive, then using your computer open my computer and right click on your sdcard and select format fat32. Just like rooting, unrooting will remove all your third party app's and wipe your device.

How to tell if your s-on or s-off
1. Reboot into HBOOT and in the upper right it will tell you if your security is on or off by displaying s-on or s-off. To reboot hit the power button once, then using your volume key down select recovery and then hit the power button again. In recovery make sure reboot is highlighted and press down on your optical joystick.

Please note if your using 2.15.00.09.01 radio unrevoked s-on tool will not work. You will need to download this and flash that PB31IMG before you continue.

If your s-off then you need to download http://downloads.unrevoked.com/forever/current/unrevoked-forever-son.zip to turn s-on.
1. Place the downloaded file on the root of your sdcard.
2. Reboot into recovery using any method.
-Using Rom Manager just open and select Reboot into Recovery
-Pull the battery for a few seconds, then put battery back in and power on while holding down the volume down key, once in HBOOT hit the power key once then use your volume down key to highlight “recovery” and hit the power button to select.
3. In recovery menu (use your volume keys or joystick to navigate through the menu) select “install zip from sdcard” and press on the optical joystick to select.
4. Then select “choose zip from sdcard”.
5. Find and select the file "unrevoked-forever-son.zip" you downloaded and placed on your sdcard.
6. Select “yes install unrevoked-forever-son.zip”.
7. Now your s-on - continue to the following directions to remove root and go back to your stock recovery.

If your s-on you need to download this file PB31IMG.zip
1. Check your sdcard for any file named PB31IMG.zip and remove it before moving to the next step
2. Rename the file you downloaded above to “PB31IMG.zip” without the quotes and place it on the root of your sdcard.
3. Boot into HBOOT by pulling your battery then power on while holding the volume down key.
4. Your phone should find the PB31IMG.zip file and start the update and may reboot a couple of times.
5. Reboot your phone and you should be back to stock :)

*Thanks to Doug Piston for the use of his site.
Just want to know if this method will still work in July, 2011? I notice there is no update.

kubla

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Here is a simple guide to take your rooted phone back to stock, S-on, and stock recovery.

Before you start make sure you have a rooted Droid Incredible with clockworkmod recovery and have your sdcard formatted to fat32.
To format your card an easy way is to connect your Incredible with sdcard to your windows computer. On your device select disk drive, then using your computer open my computer and right click on your sdcard and select format fat32. Just like rooting, unrooting will remove all your third party app's and wipe your device.

*Thanks to Doug Piston for the use of his site.

I have read and reread this post and I think I am ready to unroot my DINC. But! a couple of questions.
1.I replaced the original splash screen and will this method put the original splash screen back on?
2.I have a Rom on the phone. Will that make any difference?

Thank you

Dark Wizard Matoya

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I have read and reread this post and I think I am ready to unroot my DINC. But! a couple of questions.
1.I replaced the original splash screen and will this method put the original splash screen back on?
2.I have a Rom on the phone. Will that make any difference?

Thank you

Yes you'll get the original splash screen back, and the method in this thread will uproot your phone, even if you have a custom ROM installed.

kubla

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Yes you'll get the original splash screen back, and the method in this thread will uproot your phone, even if you have a custom ROM installed.

I want to thank all of you that contributed to the "Facts about unrooting the DINC. I followed the directions and it worked. Just a tag: If you don't load the USB drivers first, the RUU will not go through. The computer will have to be rebooted and things are downhill from there.

GOOoo Forums!

mldiroff

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Wow - I feel a little like I got away with something, it was so easy!

QUESTION: I used the latest Unrevoked3, so I don't have to do the step for S-off, because it's built in now right?

dhs2011

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
besides titanium and rom manager, what other programs are recommended from everyone? also i have a sd card that i am replacing because of a read only issue, should i wait until after i get the new sd card before rooting my phone? And what is the recommended software to start with after rooting the dinc? also i tried downloading software onto my windows computer and it could not find the information to get unrevoked fo my device. Any ideas?

Last edited:

smokedogg

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Wow - I feel a little like I got away with something, it was so easy!
Agreed. Was hesitant at first, but went with it and shazaam!!!! In business.

Gotta question though about my clock that I had. Was wondering what happened to the widget that provides the animated weather...sun, windshield wiper, clouds, etc...Is there anyway of getting that back? I have seen stuff close to it like the H7C clock weather widget, but really liked my old one that came with my Dinc.

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Finally rooted and flashed CM7 nightly and Chad's Incredikernel. I can't figure out how to reset to log into my google acct though. I also tried to restore my backup and was notified that my file wasn't valid as Md5 was missing.... o_O

Last edited:

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
So I figured out the Google Acct issue by reading the first post of the Nightly thread. *embarassed* I needed to flash the Google Apps.

Still unsure how to fix my MD5 is missing problem though.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Agreed. Was hesitant at first, but went with it and shazaam!!!! In business.

Gotta question though about my clock that I had. Was wondering what happened to the widget that provides the animated weather...sun, windshield wiper, clouds, etc...Is there anyway of getting that back? I have seen stuff close to it like the H7C clock weather widget, but really liked my old one that came with my Dinc.

The weather/clock widget is part of Sense. CM7 and other AOSP Rom's won't have it. The Sense based ROM's will. Also, check out Beautiful Widgets. It's as close to the HTC clock/widget as you'll find.

Reactions: mumfoau

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
The only problem I have (had it with my X as well) is that my battery usage time unplugged doesn't match what I figure the time unplugged is from battery indicators reading of when I unplugged my DInc.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Do you mean the initial 3-9% drop shortly after unplugging?

That's a function of the internal battery charger. The phone will charge to 100% and then run off the battery until it hit's 90% then charge back up. The initial dip is the amount of juice it used between 100% - and when you unplugged it. The screen will show 100% until you unplug it and then it will recognize that it's really less.

This has frustrated many a user. All phones do it, not all phones are accurately displaying the 90-100% range for the battery. ;)

treydroid8

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Hello everybody! First off, I'm a noob and this is my first post. About a week ago, i finally had the guts to root my Dinc. Btw, thank you for everyone's info. It has been great so far until a couple of days ago. The dreaded "low on space" popped up again. So I turned the phone off/on and it disappeared. I was going to upgrade and download an app from the market but no ado. I tried downloading other apps just in case but none. I tried somebody's sugg. to uninstall market update but I can't even do that. Tried to sign in my gmail acct and same result. Went to manage apps in settings but all it says is "computing" for a long time. Anybody else having this issue? Does it have to do with the new Market update. Please help!!!

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Did you load a new ROM after rooting? The Low space error generally is tied to the Facebook app, too many sms/e-mails, or a need to flush the cache.

Try booting into recovery and clear cache and dalvik cache, under advanced.

treydroid8

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Did you load a new ROM after rooting? The Low space error generally is tied to the Facebook app, too many sms/e-mails, or a need to flush the cache.

Try booting into recovery and clear cache and dalvik cache, under advanced.

I did not load a new ROM...yet. But i think i should soon. I rebooted in recovery and cleared the dalvik cache and now Everything works fine! Im able to download and update again on the market. Thank you so much! Your a life saver! But, do i have to continually to do this? Thanks again!!!!

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Will you have to do it again? Not sure - some of the newer Games coming out are Serious Memory Pigs! So it's possible depending on what apps you are running.

A good ol' fashioned Cache flushing will never hurt you, but as you found out, it can help!

Glad everything is working for you again.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc