1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    ROM
    Sideload App Method

Default did i cover all the bases to flash a rom?

just wondering if im ready to flash a new rom if i did everything right

1-downloaded cyanogen 6.1 (first stable one listed) using rom manager

2-backed up apps and setting using rom manager

3-backed up using clockwork thru recovery (didnt say it but is this nandroid backup?)

i read about wiping the cache but is that only if i use the power with vol- option??

or does loading with rom manager take care of this b/c is has pre installation methods to wipe the cache? and which method is best recommended??

thanks in advance for any help

Download CM6.1(through ROM Manager) once it's done downloading it will ask you if you want to back up your current ROM, select that it will save the back up as the current date/time. Also make sure you select to wipe the cache/data. It will then boot to recovery and do all the steps for you. The first boot will take several minutes so don't get worried when it takes awhile.
    Device history:
    Storm 1 > Tour > Droid > Droid Incredible > HTC Thunderbolt > Samsung Galaxy Nexus > Motorola Razr HD MAXX & Nexus 7

Global Posts
    549 Global Posts
    ROM
    CyanogenMod 7 Nightlies

Wow is flashing a rom really that easy with Rom Manager?
    Rooted DROID Incredible
    +Android 2.3.5
    +CyanogenMod 7 Nightlies - Mixer Theme
    +ADW EX i2 Theme

Yup, even if you download the zip file from a website you can use ROM manager to flash it. It will prompt the same prompts (backup current rom, wipe cache/data) then install it for ya.
    Device history:
    Storm 1 > Tour > Droid > Droid Incredible > HTC Thunderbolt > Samsung Galaxy Nexus > Motorola Razr HD MAXX & Nexus 7

Global Posts
    2,192 Global Posts
    ROM
    JB

Rom manager is easy but I would suggest doing it your selfs in recovery. Recovery wipes more then just cache. This is why some people have issues on there roms with rom manager. Download the rom from there forum website using your phone then go into recovery and wipe everything. Then load the rom, if you need help hit me up on gtalk
    I'm the ROOT man
    G Talk: Upstreammiami3o5
    Let me help you ROOT your phone
    Thanked by:
    jr369 

Global Posts
    2,192 Global Posts
    ROM
    JB

Don't trust rom manager so much
    I'm the ROOT man

ROM
    Stock (for now)

Quote Originally Posted by radtechy View Post
    just wondering if im ready to flash a new rom if i did everything right

2-backed up apps and setting using rom manager
    Caution!: Do another backup with Titanium. Nandroid backups just create a system image, which means when you restore, the phone will entirely go back to the way it was. Titanium backup is the one that backs up your apps and settings so that you can carry them over between ROMs. Otherwise, you lose all your apps and data.

Also, be sure to back-up your phone contacts to google.

Quote Originally Posted by menschmaschine5 View Post
    Caution!: Do another backup with Titanium. Nandroid backups just create a system image, which means when you restore, the phone will entirely go back to the way it was. Titanium backup is the one that backs up your apps and settings so that you can carry them over between ROMs. Otherwise, you lose all your apps and data.

Also, be sure to back-up your phone contacts to google.
    ROM manager backs up your data and apps as well so they can be restored. However it should be noted that if your in an AOSP ROM and trying to restore Sense data/apps it will not work.
    Device history:

Global Posts
    2,192 Global Posts
    ROM
    JB

Rom manager does not restore your apps into another rom that's what tibackup is for
    I'm the ROOT man

Quote Originally Posted by Upstreammiami View Post
    Rom manager does not restore your apps into another rom that's what tibackup is for
    Clock work recovery > Backup and restore > advanced restore > restore data or cache or sd-ext isn't a data restore?
    Device history:
    Thanked by:
    jr369 
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    ROM
    Sideload App Method

Quote Originally Posted by Upstreammiami View Post
    Rom manager is easy but I would suggest doing it your selfs in recovery. Recovery wipes more then just cache. This is why some people have issues on there roms with rom manager. Download the rom from there forum website using your phone then go into recovery and wipe everything. Then load the rom, if you need help hit me up on gtalk
    I know your awesome with this stuff. I did a backup using clockwork and titanium forgot that in the first post. Now the rom I downloaded using rom manager can I keep it or go find it somewhere else? So are those two backups all I need? And then go in clockwork and wipe the cache I know that......what about a factory reset and the dalvik cache too. Im so ready to do this tonight but wanna do it right and last thing my paid app is what titanium is for?

Global Posts
    2,192 Global Posts
    ROM
    JB

download it from the internet go into recovery wipe everything that says wipe also in advanced (except battery). then click install from sdcard/ choose sdcard locate the rom u downloaded ... and thats it after that open titanium backup restore ur apps
    I'm the ROOT man
    Thanked by:
    jr369 
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    ROM
    Sideload App Method

thanks for all replies...after not being able to find a cyanogen 6.1 download cause all the links were dead and i dont want a sense rom i was looking for vanilla type rom then after looking i went with the new MIUI rom and really dig it so far.

how i know i have to backup something to flash a kernel, what is it exactly to backup and if i change roms to the same wipes i did when i flashed this rom (wipe/factory reset) and (wipe the partition)

I am going to have to flash my backup back on my phone. I'm having some issues with the roms stability. When I go to recovery (where i made my backup) do i need to wipe all caches again to restore from my back up? Or can i just boot to recovery and select restore and it will do its thing? First time going back and just want to make sure I do it correctly.

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

Could not hurt to wipe cache and dalvik. I can't remember if I did or not. It's been a while since I flashed a backup.
    Some say that his dormant chips were left that way for YOUR SAFETY... Others say that once "turned on," he can not be turned off... All we know is... He's called The Stig.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    6,689 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nexus(AOKP-jb_4.2.1)

I always wipe my cache and dalvik cache when flashing back to a backup just to be sure and it doesnt take long to do .

As mentioned by Pville too cant hurt.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    2,192 Global Posts
    ROM
    JB

you really dont need to, recovery does it for you when you restore
    I'm the ROOT man
    Thanked by:

Thank you all for the advice. All the people in the forums are great, and it always helps having different feedback from so many people.

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

As long as we're covering ALL the bases....

Sorry - This skit runs through my brain every time I see this thread!
    Some say that his dormant chips were left that way for YOUR SAFETY... Others say that once "turned on," he can not be turned off... All we know is... He's called The Stig.