ROM's and Mods HQ2

Hitch_Itch

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
WoW looks like new rom development has slowed to a crawl.
I have been on Nil's Business sense 3.0 since his first version, now up to v2.2, the rom is really nice and stable.

Doesn't seem like much of anything else is going on for the Dinc. Dare I say, The Dinc will soon go into the history books as far as development is concerned. Im still hanging on w/ my Dinc until HTC comes out with a dual cpu phone Verizon. Im thinking that will be sometime before Christmas.

The Dinc sure had a good long run and still works very well. I will probably give my Dinc to the wife when I get a new phone, but for now im still enjoying it.

Hitch

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I have been on Nil's Business sense 3.0 since his first version, now up to v2.2, the rom is really nice and stable.

Doesn't seem like much of anything else is going on for the Dinc. Dare I say, The Dinc will soon go into the history books as far as development is concerned. Im still hanging on w/ my Dinc until HTC comes out with a dual cpu phone Verizon. Im thinking that will be sometime before Christmas.

The Dinc sure had a good long run and still works very well. I will probably give my Dinc to the wife when I get a new phone, but for now im still enjoying it.

Hitch

Couldn't agree more.

There just isn't much out there right now that would make me pay for an early upgrade. LTE just got turned on in my area a couple months ago but I haven't heard many good things about battery life where that is concerned. With all the ROM's out there I haven't tried the Inc is still my phone of choice and will be for the foreseeable future.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site

Hitch

I would wager that we will see a bunch of new and updated ROM's now that the OTA is out for Gingerbread.

BBEgo

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
In praise of Nils Business GingerSense ROMs, and a quick review.

I ran Nil's Business GingerSense 3.0 all day yesterday with no real problems at all. It was snappy and pretty, and just great overall.
But...
I had been running Business GingerSense 3D all weekend, and that ROM was even snappier. The GUI is just a little bit prettier, and the animations more fluid. The Spare Parts app in the 3D version allows for fantastic fine-tuning of the eye-candy, and the Sense 3.0 version of the ROM doesn't have this app (as far as I could tell). Business GingerSense 3D is prettier to my eyes, and the latest GingerTiny kernel can run this ROM fast and smooth.
The 3D version has another feature I couldn't enable in 3.0, and that is the ability to unlock by simply pressing the trackball button. The trackball 'wake' function is somewhat hit or miss on either ROM (sometimes it works, sometimes not), but the 3D version unlocks once it's awake with either a pull of the ring, or the push of a button. I like that feature a lot, and missed it when I flashed GingerSense 3.0, where only pulling the ring unlocks it. This is so minor as to almost be a non-issue, but given the fact that our phones must be unlocked each time we wish to use them, it was nice (in the 3D version) to be able to do so with the simple push of a button vs swiping the ring upward.
Besides the few differences mentioned above, the 2 versions of the Business GingerSense ROM appear very similar. But, even though 3.0 is running the latest version of Sense, the 3d version of the ROM wins the day for me.
Nils Business GingerSense 3d is now my daily driver, and will be my gold standard that all other ROMs will be compared to. I've tried Skyraider 4.3, CM7, CM6, OMFGB, Evervolv, Virtuous, and probably a few others I've long since forgotten. Nils Kills!

plemelin

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Pville, do you plan on adding the latest OTA Stang put up on XDA? Real stable and quick. He also put some cool mods up as well.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I can. I've been real busy the last few weeks. Haven't even had time to flash a nightly! I'll post it soon.

Thanks plemelin for keeping me on my toes! ;)

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
CM7 with either a RC or Stable designation is just a nightly with attitude. Development continues after the RC. If you want the latest and greatest, download the last nightly. It's stable and has more than the RC.

fyrfytr24

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Still new to the world of root and rom...thanks for the info.

A few other questions:
What does RC mean?
What is the kernel for, and why would i want to change it?

Last edited:

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
RC is Release Candidate - It's the step before final "official" release in the development cycle. There may be more than one RC build before a final.

The kernel is the heard of the OS, and unless you're having issues with the Kernel that came packaged with your ROM, it's probably best to leave well enough alone.

Personally, I've tried other kernels with CM7 and some other ROM's but always go back to what the dev included to begin with. Though one kernel may be better at battery management, it will fall short somewhere else.

Once you get a better handle on Flashing and what you can do with Root, then it would make sense to play with kernels.

fyrfytr24

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I saw back a few posts about a quad boot...where you could have 4 roms and i guess switch between which one you wanted to boot? anyone still using that?

fyrfytr24

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I just downloaded CM7 with ROM manager...and now stuck in boot loop :-(

EDIT Figured it out. Now thinking about trying something else, but I cant manage to boot into clockwork or any recovery for that matter

Last edited:

fyrfytr24

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
New to this...so sorry for yet another noob question...

If I load a ROM and make a nandroid backup before I flash a new rom...would I always be able to just resore to that without having to go through wiping all of the caches? I know it would be memory intensive, but I was just wondering

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair