Problem with CM7

robertojoven

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
So I rooted my DINC last night and decided to try out a different ROM (I have heard lots of good things about CM7). Anyways, I installed TitaniumBackup, did a full system/data backup, and saved it to my hard drive. Then I installed CM7 through ROM manager and it did its thing and is now running.

My problem is this:
I want to restore all the contacts, Sense UI settings, SMS, phone log, etc. but when I connect the phone to my computer (MacBook Pro with Snow Leopard), it doesn't recognize it as a disk drive anymore and I can't find anyway to enable it as a disk drive like on the stock ROM.

Thanks

crondable

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
So I rooted my DINC last night and decided to try out a different ROM (I have heard lots of good things about CM7). Anyways, I installed TitaniumBackup, did a full system/data backup, and saved it to my hard drive. Then I installed CM7 through ROM manager and it did its thing and is now running.

My problem is this:
I want to restore all the contacts, Sense UI settings, SMS, phone log, etc. but when I connect the phone to my computer (MacBook Pro with Snow Leopard), it doesn't recognize it as a disk drive anymore and I can't find anyway to enable it as a disk drive like on the stock ROM.

Thanks

I can tell you right now that trying to restore system data from one ROM to another is the worst possible idea. Especially coming from stock, to CM7. When you flash CM7 or any other AOSP based ROM, you lose anything tied to Sense. I run Linux so I can't say for sure why your phone won't mount to your Mac, but I haven't heard of any similar situations from other users. However, the option to enable as disk drive exists in the notification bar when plugged in to a computer via USB.

Regarding Titanium Backup. Anything backed up by that app is saved to your SD card, so I'm not sure why you would need to plug your phone in to restore.

I suggest you do a bit more reading, all of the information I have posted here is available in threads all over this forum.

Reactions: robertojoven

robertojoven

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I totally forgot that TB put the data on the SD card. Problem solved I guess.

I also seemed to assume (for who knows what reason) that CM7 was Sense-based when it clearly isn't. Oh well, I guess I'll try Virtuous or something.

robertojoven

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, I do have one other question regarding flashing Sense ROMs. How do I import all the apps, preferences/settings, contacts, text messages, etc from the old system. I did a titanium backup as well as the nandroid one through Clockworkmodrecovery.

thanks

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, I do have one other question regarding flashing Sense ROMs. How do I import all the apps, preferences/settings, contacts, text messages, etc from the old system. I did a titanium backup as well as the nandroid one through Clockworkmodrecovery.

thanks

Well that kinda depends. You can restore all your contacts just by logging into your gmail account assuming you had synced your contacts to it.

You can restore your apps in a "batch" operation with Titanium or individually. When you do that you'll be offered app, app+data, data. I would be very careful what apps you restore with data. Typically there is only one app important enough for me to restore with data cause I don't want to have to go through and re-input all the data that was there.

Settings and preferences can't be restored, sorry, you'll just have to go through everything and set it all back up.

There are apps that can restore your text messages, can't think of it off the top of my head, I think some one from A/C did a review of on a few weeks ago.

If your restoring from your nandroid, everything will be exactly the same as it was when you made the backup...it will be like never ever happened.

Reactions: robertojoven

kaefbaml

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I totally forgot that TB put the data on the SD card. Problem solved I guess.

I also seemed to assume (for who knows what reason) that CM7 was Sense-based when it clearly isn't. Oh well, I guess I'll try Virtuous or something.

hey man if u like sence try WarmZ im running it righ tnow its sence 2.2 and its gangster! i just went from cm7 for about a month to this rom, been running warmz for about 2 days not and i love it. its just how i like sence to be.

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Yes. It is vanilla. Like everything it has its benefits and some drawbacks but the drawbacks only really affect you if you like sense.

I like sense and think its very slick and very user-friendly but right now I like the customizations of CM7.

Reactions: Lee_Bo

robertojoven

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
What would be the closest thing to CM7 that's still Sense? I've tried SkyRaider and Virtuous but neither has anything close to what CM7 has.

Is it just one of those deals where if you want Sense, you're kind of limited?

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
What would be the closest thing to CM7 that's still Sense? I've tried SkyRaider and Virtuous but neither has anything close to what CM7 has.

Is it just one of those deals where if you want Sense, you're kind of limited?

Yep. Sense is Sense and AOSP is AOSP. If you want Sense and the look of AOSP try Incredibly Re-Engineered.
http://www.androidcentral.com/android-central-rom-review-incredibly-re-engineered-droid-incredible

Or try Launcher Pro or ADW Launcher from the market. They will give you a more AOSP look, but at the end of the day, your settings and such will still be Sense.

robertojoven

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Oh, what I meant is that I really like the UI of Sense, but like all the features/capabilities of CM7. Is the reason that CM7 has so much because it is open-source whereas Sense is not? What would be the most Sense-like AOSP?