Vanilla android....how?

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
While I love the HTC Sense UI, I would like to try out vanilla android.

I am rooted (thru the help of upstreammiami) though I will admit I don't understand it all. Below is my current set up. Only reason I rooted was for the wifi tethering app. So, what ROM do I need and all (change of kernel??) to try out the vanilla android experience?

Remember, I am not real good at this so I need specific instructions or references. I do have ROM manager....

My set up:

20110409013837.jpg

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Do a nandroid first in recovery.

Then download CM7 with RomManager and select wipe cache and data, and gapps.

You probably want to read the how to flash a ROM sticky and at least the first few pages of the CM7 nightly thread, especially the OP, before you do. This way you will understand what you are doing a little better.

Good luck.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
If you picked GAPPS in ROM manager it should have asked you on first boot which google apps you want to install. Market is one of them.

If not ROM Manager should be installed and you can download and install GAPPS from there. Do not delete cache, just install.

Or you can flash .zip in recovery. The GAPPS is downloaded to /clockworkmod/download/goo-inside.me/gapps/gapps-gb-20110307-signed.zip

On reboot you will be asked which apps you want to install, select what you want and they will be loaded.

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I went back in to Rom Manager and flashed again and it all worked. I played awhile, but I reverted back to my original rooted skyraider Rom. I like Sense too much. I really want to try the new warmz Rom, but. I cannot figure out where to do the download. I tried the link in upstreammiamis thread but the download was going to take forever, I thought I might be doing it wrong.

crondable

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I went back in to Rom Manager and flashed again and it all worked. I played awhile, but I reverted back to my original rooted skyraider Rom. I like Sense too much. I really want to try the new warmz Rom, but. I cannot figure out where to do the download. I tried the link in upstreammiamis thread but the download was going to take forever, I thought I might be doing it wrong.

Were you downloading over 8G or wi-fi? Cause if you were on wi-fi it will go sloooowww.

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I think the 8G reference was a joke carried over from a different thread.

I downloaded two different times and it does take fooooorrrreeeevvveeerrrrr. I used wifi for one and 3G for the other...thank goodness for unlimited data.

In my opinion (and some others as well) warm z is a very nice ROM but has some bugs that cause it to freeze up, randomly reboot and other such things. I ran it for a day and a half but couldn't take its unreliablity.