TV out, HTC Widgets, 720p Video

Lummix

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
Why on Earth would anyone want to install CM7 or any other vanilla Android ROM on their HTC Droid Incredible when all you end up with is a ROM that doesn't have 720p Video, no TV out, and the lack of some pretty nice widgets? I've tried it and I have to say that the HTC stock calendar widget is damn nice. I can't find one even close to it aside from the Launcher Pro Plus calendar that doesn't work properly. Can't use the TV out with CM7, or any ROM without Sense. I've tried many but I find myself asking, "Why?"

menschmaschine5

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I rarely record videos on my phone, and I've never found a reson to have 720p video. I have actually never used TV out. I like the Sense widgets, but not having them isn't a deal breaker by anay stretch of the imagination.

rpz3.14

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The key in my mind is the benefits of CM7. I really don't use the sense widgets, and I prefer adw to the stock launcher (for whatever reason, I hate the Rosie launcher and would much prefer to have 2 or 3 screens instead of the 7 sense gives you). With CM7 running, I have way fewer running processes, and see much better battery life.

Also, CM7 is by far the most customizable ROM I have used, and you get the performance and security benefits associated with Gingerbread.

Is it the only way to go? Absolutely not (I actually installed IncRom to go back to the mostly stock experience and I'm liking it quite a bit). But the joy of android in general and the Incredible in specific is that there are so many options and choices. If CM7 or the vanilla experience doesn't float your boat, you can choose any number of other ROMs, and vice versa.

Reactions: ssethv

Lummix

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
I agree about a lot of what you're saying. I've tried many like I said, I just feel that HTC Sense is as smooth as it gets, and one of the reasons many of us bought the Incredible in the first place.

crondable

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Preference. That is all it comes down to. Your opinions and preference obviously differ from mine, and many other users. Many people, including you, like Sense and everything it offers. Others, such as myself and thousands of others, do not. Some people like to load up their homescreens with shiny widgets. Others do not. Some people use their phone as a video recording device on a regular basis, and would actually benefit from 720p recording. Others find the video quality very mediocre, especially at HD, and rarely use the camcorder function. A very small amount of users even KNOW the Incredible can do TV-Out, and even less actually use that function.

With all that being said, I have no idea what even compelled you to post this thread. All you are doing is degrading the incredibly hard work that is done by all the developers of the Droid Incredible community. These people spend countless hours writing code, for fun. For free. For people like you and me. 720p and TV-Out were not neglected and withheld from CM7 just because. They are unavailable because the drivers, and the code do not exist for AOSP, and would have to be built completely manually. Impossible? No. Extremely difficult? Yes.

Next you want to make a post or create a thread bashing other people's hard work, ask yourself this; What exactly have I contributed to the community?

/endrant

loudaccord

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I was thinking that I'd root and get rid of Sense as fast as I could... especially since I'm so use to CM7 and MIUI roms... turns out that I actually kinda like it :) I flashed a sense rom and can't wait to play with the others :)

ngc457

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Reason why people try other roms is for the fun of it. It is fun to say hey I have gingerbread on my phone. It brings out the geek in yes. For me personally when the fun and newness of flashing roms wore out I went back to rooted stock with bloat removed because everything works. I use TV out a lot to connect to my projector for powerpoint presentations. All other roms had bug issues or little quirks where things did not work right. But it is all about the choice and fun and some like cyanogen or other roms and that is what makes the incredible great. Very easy to try out roms.

ssethv

ANDROID OBSESSED
Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Have you even tried any Roms? cuz I quarantee you wouldn't have even posted this if so... CM7 and Warm Z destroy Sense.... BUT, and I STRESS the word BUT, it is a personal preference. and just a phone :)

Reactions: Lee_Bo

Jowlah

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Preference. That is all it comes down to. Your opinions and preference obviously differ from mine, and many other users. Many people, including you, like Sense and everything it offers. Others, such as myself and thousands of others, do not. Some people like to load up their homescreens with shiny widgets. Others do not. Some people use their phone as a video recording device on a regular basis, and would actually benefit from 720p recording. Others find the video quality very mediocre, especially at HD, and rarely use the camcorder function. A very small amount of users even KNOW the Incredible can do TV-Out, and even less actually use that function.

With all that being said, I have no idea what even compelled you to post this thread. All you are doing is degrading the incredibly hard work that is done by all the developers of the Droid Incredible community. These people spend countless hours writing code, for fun. For free. For people like you and me. 720p and TV-Out were not neglected and withheld from CM7 just because. They are unavailable because the drivers, and the code do not exist for AOSP, and would have to be built completely manually. Impossible? No. Extremely difficult? Yes.

Next you want to make a post or create a thread bashing other people's hard work, ask yourself this; What exactly have I contributed to the community?

/endrant

I agree with you in the sense (pun intended! See what I did there?) that it is ALWAYS about personal preference. I have had my DInc since May 4th, unrooted and loving it. The phone does so much for me the way it is and then some. But I choose to not root.

I think that Sense, for me, is why I bought the phone in the first place. The interface streamlines everything for me in a way that a vanilla Android phone can't. Once again, that is MY personal preference. But the intriguing thing about these forums and about the great community like you guys and gals that contribute to the forums that I find so much fun is the fact that I can read what some innovative person did and then create a ROM that can overclock the phone to 7 GHZ (I know, it's an exageration ;) ) and change from 18 different launchers just by yelling at the phone "by the Power of SHAZAM!!!". But that is why, even though I choose not to root, I have no problem with others that do. That is why I love the Android platform. Choice and openess (although some will question how open).

How does everyone think all those great features that we enjoy in our stock phones get there? I applaud the community and I will definitely enjoy what new Dr. Frankenstein ROM comes through. :)

Last edited: