Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Global Posts
    625 Global Posts

Good writeup, but why reinstall apps from market? I always just restore apps only and not system data using titanium.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #27  

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

Quote Originally Posted by sloan View Post
    Good writeup, but why reinstall apps from market? I always just restore apps only and not system data using titanium.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    My feeling is that by re-installing from the Market, the new ROM is less likely to have issues with an app. It also eliminates a potential source of failure and it does not take very long to do. Start with a clean slate and there are fewer likely points of failure/problems. There is also the opportunity to look and think "Why did I ever install THAT App!"
    Some say that his dormant chips were left that way for YOUR SAFETY... Others say that once "turned on," he can not be turned off... All we know is... He's called The Stig.
    Thanked by 2:
    Almaranaldl 

ROM
    MortifyROM / CM7

Thanks for that very important information...and thanks for explaining it in a very simple way for those of us are are still fairly new to Rooting & ROMing. This info should be a MUST read for everyone.

Default Two exceptions

I consistently restore: (1) bluetooth pairings; and (2) wifi networks when I flash new ROMs. Those are the ONLY system settings I dare restore. No adverse results so far.
    HTC One M9 (2015)
    HTC One M8 (2014)
    Nexus 7 FHD
    Transformer TF300T

Is there an effective way to backup and restore application settings and preferences? Recreating all of that is what is most annoying to me...

Global Posts
    1,309 Global Posts
    ROM
    EOS3 nightly 61 (4.1.2)

Thank you so much for this. I never could get the app restore to work perfectly, so I just stuck with Nand's. Anyway, awesome post....hope this gets turned into a sticky.
    If by some chance I helped you out, please be so kind as to hit that thanks button. You'd be a lot cooler if you did.

ROM
    CM 7 RC2

Pville

You've helped me with several issues recently and I know one of the last things I had asked you was if there was an "all inclusive thread" that covered this exact issue. I'm glad that there is now and I'm sorry if I'm the one that pushed you over the edge to make it

Thanks for the info though! Thread was what the doctor ordered.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #33  

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

Quote Originally Posted by jovox View Post
    Pville

You've helped me with several issues recently and I know one of the last things I had asked you was if there was an "all inclusive thread" that covered this exact issue. I'm glad that there is now and I'm sorry if I'm the one that pushed you over the edge to make it

Thanks for the info though! Thread was what the doctor ordered.
    LOL - No problem. Happy to help.
    Some say that his dormant chips were left that way for YOUR SAFETY... Others say that once "turned on," he can not be turned off... All we know is... He's called The Stig.

Global Posts
    378 Global Posts

correct me if im wrong but...

i thought u could restore all system data if u were upgrading same rom like BAMF 1.5 to 1.6 or sense to sense based etc..

because according to this tutorial u should basically back up nothing except games like Angry birds....i want my login info restored, app settings, etc..

i have 40+ apps and i think its really annoying to selectively find apps that require data restore..

from what i got out of the tutorial is that u just basically back up to make a list of apps so u can manually install from market...sounds very time consuming and counter productive
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #35  

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

If restoring the way you do works for you then no problem. However, restoring system data is the number one reason people have problems moving between ROMS. If you have a problem, I would suggest starting from scratch.

I'm a noob on the verge of rooting my HTC Droid Incredible. This sounds like useful information. Now I just have to figure out what the hell a nandroid backup is.

Google it!
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,968 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by liteon163 View Post
    I'm a noob on the verge of rooting my HTC Droid Incredible. This sounds like useful information. Now I just have to figure out what the hell a nandroid backup is.

Google it!
    Nandroid is a set of tools that will enable anyone who has root on their Android device to make FULL system backups, in case something goes wrong or you want to try out that new experimental ROM/theme. It will return your phone back to the condition it was in when you made the backup.

In other words... it's like making a restore point on your computer. If something goes wrong or you want to return your phone to a previous condition... you flash/install the nandroid backup and your phones OS is back to the way it was.

Global Posts
    2,611 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7 Nightly 148

Quote Originally Posted by liteon163 View Post

Google it!
    Like Cyber said, nandroid allows you to make a backup of your entire phone and all the data stored on it. If you flash a custom ROM and something goes wrong or you just don't like the ROM you can restore your nandroid backup and your phone will be exactly as it was before. If you do root and decide to flash a custom ROM be sure to make a nandroid of your current ROM first.
    Rooted Droid Incredible
    +CM7
    +MIUI Camrea
    +ADW Launcher EX
    +Launcher2
    +Vignette
    +Synergy Theme
    +Blue Gingerbread ADW Theme
    +Nexus One Boot Animation
    +Widgets. Lots of widgets.
    =Pure awesome.

Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    ROM
    DAS BAMF 1.6.3 LeanKernel

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Wizard Matoya View Post
    Like Cyber said, nandroid allows you to make a backup of your entire phone and all the data stored on it. If you flash a custom ROM and something goes wrong or you just don't like the ROM you can restore your nandroid backup and your phone will be exactly as it was before. If you do root and decide to flash a custom ROM be sure to make a nandroid of your current ROM first.
    So what good Nandroid backup would you recommend? ROM Recovery Manager?

Global Posts
    2,611 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7 Nightly 148

Quote Originally Posted by striders View Post
    I make all my nandroid backups right from Clockworkmod Recovery.
    Rooted Droid Incredible
    +CM7
    +MIUI Camrea
    +ADW Launcher EX
    +Launcher2
    +Vignette
    +Synergy Theme
    =Pure awesome.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #41  

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

Clockwork Recovery, which is the recovery flashed to the phone during Unrevoked the root process, has Nandroid backup built in. ROM Manager also has the ability to use the Clockwork Nandroid process.

Making a Nandroid backup should be part of any modification you make to the phone, and having more then one is never a bad idea beacusel like all backup scenarios, there is a posiablilty of having a bad backup.
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,968 Global Posts

How to use ROM Manager for making a nandroid backup:
    http://forum.androidcentral.com/thun...underbolt.html
    Demonstrated on a Thunderbolt... same procedure for the Incredible.

Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    ROM
    DAS BAMF 1.6.3 LeanKernel

Thanks for the quick response, guys. I do have a question on this Clockwork Recovery thing:

I have a Nook Color (I know.. it's not a Thunderbolt phone, but bear with me for a second) with CM7. It comes by default with ROM Manager and when I launched the app for the first time, I clicked on the "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery" and ROM Manager did what it needed to do so.

The problem is, when the new Nook Color legitimate ROM was made available (a week ago), I could NO LONGER install the legitimate ROM due to the ClockwordMod Recovery installed in the device.

So what I am afraid of is that: if I install ROM Manager in my Thunderbolt to do ROM backup, wouldn't it also cause the same issue such that I will NO LONGER be able to install LEGITIMATE ThunderBolt ROM (as pushed via OTA by Verizon, to say fix some issues)?

More importantly, how do I REMOVE Clockwork Recovery from my Thunderbolt? If I need to send my phone to Verizon for warranty work, I will have to do that.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #44  

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

Thanks for the quick response, guys. I do have a question on this Clockwork Recovery thing:

I have a Nook Color (I know.. it's not a Thunderbolt phone, but bear with me for a second) with CM7. It comes by default with ROM Manager and when I launched the app for the first time, I clicked on the "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery" and ROM Manager did what it needed to do so.

The problem is, when the new Nook Color legitimate ROM was made available (a week ago), I could NO LONGER install the legitimate ROM due to the ClockwordMod Recovery installed in the device.

So what I am afraid of is that: if I install ROM Manager in my Thunderbolt to do ROM backup, wouldn't it also cause the same issue such that I will NO LONGER be able to install LEGITIMATE ThunderBolt ROM (as pushed via OTA by Verizon, to say fix some issues)?

More importantly, how do I REMOVE Clockwork Recovery from my Thunderbolt? If I need to send my phone to Verizon for warranty work, I will have to do that.
    You are correct. You will not be able to accept OTA's of Stock software once you are rooted and make modifications to the phone. This is true for all phones. In order to accept OTA's you will need to re-flash a stock RUU and recovery. There should be more info on how to do that in the Thunderbolt ROMs and Hacks sub forum.

Ok, I have a question.

Some people that are running Cyanogenmod update their phone with the latest nightly. Nightly come on average one per day. I currently run cyanogenmod on my HD2 and have 102 applications installed on my device. When I plan on getting a real Android phone, I plan on updating my phone with a nightly at least 3 times a week. I read this and reflashed the ROM without using titanium back up and manually installing the apps (from the market since appbrain would not install all the apps back to my phone) and my settings took close to 1.5 hours of non stop clicking (95% of it was install apps). I doubt that those that update their phones with every nightly take 1.5 hours of their day to manually install apps and they probably have close to if not more apps than I do. What is their secret?

Global Posts
    2,611 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7 Nightly 148

Quote Originally Posted by jasonvvong View Post
    Ok, I have a question.

Some people that are running Cyanogenmod update their phone with the latest nightly. Nightly come on average one per day. I currently run cyanogenmod on my HD2 and have 102 applications installed on my device. When I plan on getting a real Android phone, I plan on updating my phone with a nightly at least 3 times a week. I read this and reflashed the ROM without using titanium back up and manually installing the apps (from the market since appbrain would not install all the apps back to my phone) and my settings took close to 1.5 hours of non stop clicking (95% of it was install apps). I doubt that those that update their phones with every nightly take 1.5 hours of their day to manually install apps and they probably have close to if not more apps than I do. What is their secret?
    When you go from one nightly to another you don't have to do a full wipe, so all your apps, settings and everything else remains in tact. When you get your Android phone and install a CM7 nightly for the first time you will have to install all of you apps and adjust the settings to your liking, but to go from one nightly to another all you have to do is wipe cache partition and dalvik cache. As long as you don't do a full system wipe your apps won't be touched and you won't have to install them again.
    Rooted Droid Incredible
    +CM7
    +MIUI Camrea
    +ADW Launcher EX
    +Launcher2
    +Vignette
    +Synergy Theme
    =Pure awesome.
    Thanked by 3:

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Wizard Matoya View Post
    When you go from one nightly to another you don't have to do a full wipe, so all your apps, settings and everything else remains in tact. When you get your Android phone and install a CM7 nightly for the first time you will have to install all of you apps and adjust the settings to your liking, but to go from one nightly to another all you have to do is wipe cache partition and dalvik cache. As long as you don't do a full system wipe your apps won't be touched and you won't have to install them again.
    Would this apply to those going from release candidate 1 to release candidate 2? How about cm 6 to cm 7?
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #48  

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

CM6 to CM 7 requires a full wipe.

Going from CM7 RC1 to RC2 should not require a full wipe, but as with any nightly flash, if you have problems then the first step is to do a clean install.

Hope this helps.

Default Re: [Tutorial] What to back up and what to restore when switching

New to these forums, but so far the info has been very helpful. Thank you.
    PvilleComp likes this.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #50  

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

Default Re: [Tutorial] What to back up and what to restore when switching

Thanks and Welcome to AC!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast