[Tutorial] What to back up and what to restore when switching ROM's

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Clockwork Recovery, which is the recovery flashed to the phone during Unrevoked the root process, has Nandroid backup built in. ROM Manager also has the ability to use the Clockwork Nandroid process.

Making a Nandroid backup should be part of any modification you make to the phone, and having more then one is never a bad idea beacusel like all backup scenarios, there is a posiablilty of having a bad backup.

anon(220176)

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the quick response, guys. I do have a question on this Clockwork Recovery thing:

I have a Nook Color (I know.. it's not a Thunderbolt phone, but bear with me for a second) with CM7. It comes by default with ROM Manager and when I launched the app for the first time, I clicked on the "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery" and ROM Manager did what it needed to do so.

The problem is, when the new Nook Color legitimate ROM was made available (a week ago), I could NO LONGER install the legitimate ROM due to the ClockwordMod Recovery installed in the device.

So what I am afraid of is that: if I install ROM Manager in my Thunderbolt to do ROM backup, wouldn't it also cause the same issue such that I will NO LONGER be able to install LEGITIMATE ThunderBolt ROM (as pushed via OTA by Verizon, to say fix some issues)?

More importantly, how do I REMOVE Clockwork Recovery from my Thunderbolt? If I need to send my phone to Verizon for warranty work, I will have to do that.

Last edited:

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the quick response, guys. I do have a question on this Clockwork Recovery thing:

I have a Nook Color (I know.. it's not a Thunderbolt phone, but bear with me for a second) with CM7. It comes by default with ROM Manager and when I launched the app for the first time, I clicked on the "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery" and ROM Manager did what it needed to do so.

The problem is, when the new Nook Color legitimate ROM was made available (a week ago), I could NO LONGER install the legitimate ROM due to the ClockwordMod Recovery installed in the device.

So what I am afraid of is that: if I install ROM Manager in my Thunderbolt to do ROM backup, wouldn't it also cause the same issue such that I will NO LONGER be able to install LEGITIMATE ThunderBolt ROM (as pushed via OTA by Verizon, to say fix some issues)?

More importantly, how do I REMOVE Clockwork Recovery from my Thunderbolt? If I need to send my phone to Verizon for warranty work, I will have to do that.

You are correct. You will not be able to accept OTA's of Stock software once you are rooted and make modifications to the phone. This is true for all phones. In order to accept OTA's you will need to re-flash a stock RUU and recovery. There should be more info on how to do that in the Thunderbolt ROM's and Hacks sub forum.

jasonvvong

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I have a question.

Some people that are running Cyanogenmod update their phone with the latest nightly. Nightly come on average one per day. I currently run cyanogenmod on my HD2 and have 102 applications installed on my device. When I plan on getting a real Android phone, I plan on updating my phone with a nightly at least 3 times a week. I read this and reflashed the ROM without using titanium back up and manually installing the apps (from the market since appbrain would not install all the apps back to my phone) and my settings took close to 1.5 hours of non stop clicking (95% of it was install apps). I doubt that those that update their phones with every nightly take 1.5 hours of their day to manually install apps and they probably have close to if not more apps than I do. What is their secret?

Dark Wizard Matoya

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I have a question.

Some people that are running Cyanogenmod update their phone with the latest nightly. Nightly come on average one per day. I currently run cyanogenmod on my HD2 and have 102 applications installed on my device. When I plan on getting a real Android phone, I plan on updating my phone with a nightly at least 3 times a week. I read this and reflashed the ROM without using titanium back up and manually installing the apps (from the market since appbrain would not install all the apps back to my phone) and my settings took close to 1.5 hours of non stop clicking (95% of it was install apps). I doubt that those that update their phones with every nightly take 1.5 hours of their day to manually install apps and they probably have close to if not more apps than I do. What is their secret?

When you go from one nightly to another you don't have to do a full wipe, so all your apps, settings and everything else remains in tact. When you get your Android phone and install a CM7 nightly for the first time you will have to install all of you apps and adjust the settings to your liking, but to go from one nightly to another all you have to do is wipe cache partition and dalvik cache. As long as you don't do a full system wipe your apps won't be touched and you won't have to install them again.

Last edited:

jasonvvong

May 25, 2011
Visit site
When you go from one nightly to another you don't have to do a full wipe, so all your apps, settings and everything else remains in tact. When you get your Android phone and install a CM7 nightly for the first time you will have to install all of you apps and adjust the settings to your liking, but to go from one nightly to another all you have to do is wipe cache partition and dalvik cache. As long as you don't do a full system wipe your apps won't be touched and you won't have to install them again.

Would this apply to those going from release candidate 1 to release candidate 2? How about cm 6 to cm 7?

cypruss9

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Tutorial] What to back up and what to restore when switching

New to these forums, but so far the info has been very helpful. Thank you.

music_man185

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm getting ready to upgrade to a new phone (droid x to razr maxx). After looking through my apps, there are only about 2 that store data locally. And I'm not too concerned about losing the data from them. Would I be safe in erasing everything from my sd card (after backing up pics and videos), and starting from scratch on my new phone?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Do you have the contacts, sms, mms and bookmarks backed up? They are not on the sdcard but you may want them.

Yes once you back the other stuff up you can just format the card and start fresh

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

music_man185

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Do you have the contacts, sms, mms and bookmarks backed up? They are not on the sdcard but you may want them.

Yes once you back the other stuff up you can just format the card and start fresh

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

My contacts are backed up through my Google account. No bookmarks. And I don't mind losing my sms/mms.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2