Need Help with Sense

crump13

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I orginally posted this on the xda developer's forum thinking someone there could help but I didn't get any responses so hopefully someone here has some suggestions.

I apologize for the long post but I wanted to provide as much info as I could about my issue.

I need some help from the experts?.

I have an incredible and here is the current state of the phone:

rooted
s-off
Amoled
ROM SkyRaider 2.5.2 Sense
Radio 2.15.00.09.01
Chad?s Incredikernel 2.6.32.26
Clockwork 3.0.0.8

I have been running SkyRaider 2.5.2 Sense for quite sometime (as you can tell by the version number since he is now at v4.0) and like the ROM it runs great and has been very stable. About 6 weeks ago (Mid March) I decided to try IncRom and installed 1.5 Beta2, it was a great ROM and I liked it so much when IncROM 1.6 came out I installed that about 4 weeks later. As an FYI I did a full wipe of data and cache between all ROM changes. I like that ROM as well but here is where it gets a little strange. About a week ago (or so) my friendstream stopped updating my FB updates and would only update my twitter and my contacts in my phonebook that I have linked to FB their pictures and status that scrolls under their name on their contact record stopped updating and was stuck with the status messages and profile pics from a week ago (when the last update took place). Now when I go to settings, account & sync and view Facebook for HTC Sense it is selected for updates ever 2 hours and contact records and live feeds are both selected as well. I can even have it sync now and the data sync circle comes up showing syncing but nothing changes when I go check statuses and profile pics. I also have the FB app that I use to and it runs perfectly, I even tried to ?add account? in account & sync and add the actual FB app instead of FB for HTC Sense but when I try to selected FB nothing happens. So after fiddling with this for a while (clearing cache, data and stuff for FB and FB for Sense in settings>applications>manage applications menu and it nothing changed I decided something was hanging up somewhere so I decided try a new ROM and see if it had something to do with IncROM 1.6 so I went to SkyRaider to install 4.0. I did a complete data and cache wipe by doing a factory reset in Recovery and then I installed the ROM. I did this via recovery and not ROM Manager. The ROM installed with no issues that I could tell and when I went through the initial set up process where you are entering your Google account, wifi info, location tracking stuff, all went well until it came to the part where you were asked to provide your FB, flickr and twitter info. I selected FB and entered my login credentials and when I selected OK there was a pause and then an error box appeared with a message saying process unavailable at this time do you want to try again or cancel (I don?t have the exact wording of the message but you get the idea). I selected try again several times but the exact same message kept appearing so I ha d no choice but to select cancel. I decided to go on with the set up process and try my Twitter logon and I put in my credentials and waited and waited while there was a line going in a circle like it was trying to do something. I never received an error message as I eventually hit the back arrow and it canceled out of trying to log me in to twitter. I did that a few times and decided to jus skip the FB/Twitter log on process during set up. Once set up was complete everything about the ROM look and appeared to function perfectly except anything having to do with FB or Twitter regarding Sense (no FB pics for my contact records, no status updates because I was unable to log into FB to pull and sync those contact records). So I decided to just do a Nandroid restore from a time where I knew FB for Sense was working. So I went back to my 3/18/2011 nandroid restore which was when I went from Skyraider 2.5.2 to IncROM 1.5 beta2. When I did the nandriod restore everything came back as expected but my friendstream and all my FB for sense would not update with the current updates, it was stuck on the last update as of 3/18/2011. So I went back in to recovery and did a full factory reset and data cache wipe and did another Nandroid restore to another restore point and the same thing happened all restored without issue but anything having to do with FB for sense (contact pics and status updates) were stuck from the last update that was done prior to the nandroid backup and would not update the to anything current.

So I said all of this to say, when you do a full wipe of data and cache via ROM Manager or a factory reset via recovery what does not get wiped? Something is not wiping out and Sense stuff specifically FB and Twitter is not working like it should and what do I need to do to fix my FB and Twitter Sense stuff. Is this and issue of Clockwork 3.0.0.8? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

crondable

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
It sounds to me like there is an issue with FriendStream on HTC's side possibly. However, I haven't used a Sense ROM in quite a while so if anybody else could try to verify this for us?

rpz3.14

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I don't know if it'd have any effect on the facebook issues, but the Dalvik cache is not typically wiped by the ROM Manager or (I think) a wipe in recovery. You can wipe that manually in clockwork mod, under advanced settings.

It might be an issue with Clockwork 3.0.0.8, as well. Since you have an AMOLED, you may want to roll back to 3.0.0.7, since I've heard that it does a better job clearing the caches.

The other possibility I can see is that there is something hanging around on your SD card that's preventing FB from working properly. I would recommend making a full backup of your SD card on your computer and formatting it. See if this helps, and it it does, move whatever you need (game files or what have you) back onto the card.

crump13

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I don't know if it'd have any effect on the facebook issues, but the Dalvik cache is not typically wiped by the ROM Manager or (I think) a wipe in recovery. You can wipe that manually in clockwork mod, under advanced settings.

It might be an issue with Clockwork 3.0.0.8, as well. Since you have an AMOLED, you may want to roll back to 3.0.0.7, since I've heard that it does a better job clearing the caches.

The other possibility I can see is that there is something hanging around on your SD card that's preventing FB from working properly. I would recommend making a full backup of your SD card on your computer and formatting it. See if this helps, and it it does, move whatever you need (game files or what have you) back onto the card.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try wiping Dalvik and see if that helps. If that doesn't work then I'll try the SD card suggestion and then the Clockwork roll back and hopefully one of these will work.

I appreciate your suggestions. :)

crump13

May 12, 2010
Visit site
It sounds to me like there is an issue with FriendStream on HTC's side possibly. However, I haven't used a Sense ROM in quite a while so if anybody else could try to verify this for us?

i check to see if anyone else is a having issues with friendstream. :)

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
If your worried about cache's not being totally cleared out you could always wipe them twice, something I've done before to get Warm Z 2.2 to load properly. I'd start there...wipe all three, Data/Factory reset, Data cache, Dalvik (its under the "advanced" menu in recovery) twice, then reload skyraider 4.0 fresh. As I recall, I had to download FB from the market as it only came with FB for Sense.

I can't speak for Friendstream as I don't use it since I don't Tweet. I know FB has issues just about every day...just the nature of the beast.

As a general rule, I always do my data wipes from recovery, never ROM manager.

crump13

May 12, 2010
Visit site
If your worried about cache's not being totally cleared out you could always wipe them twice, something I've done before to get Warm Z 2.2 to load properly. I'd start there...wipe all three, Data/Factory reset, Data cache, Dalvik (its under the "advanced" menu in recovery) twice, then reload skyraider 4.0 fresh. As I recall, I had to download FB from the market as it only came with FB for Sense.

I can't speak for Friendstream as I don't use it since I don't Tweet. I know FB has issues just about every day...just the nature of the beast.

As a general rule, I always do my data wipes from recovery, never ROM manager.

When I was going throught the issues of recovering and loading ROMs to see if I could get FB for Sense to work I did a factory reset/wipe cache a few times in a row before doing the Nandroid restore or installing the ROM via zip on SD card and FB for sense still didn't work. Friendstream is directly connected to FB for Sense. If you don't log in to FB for Sense then that won't work and since I can't log in to FB for Sense on a new ROM installation or even add FB for android in Accounts & Sync none of my FB contacts have pics. I'm not as concerned about Friendstream as I am about syncing my contacts pics with FB. I can use FB for android as an app without a problem. I just can't add it to accounts and sync for the contact updates or status updates.

Thanks for the suggestions :)

crump13

May 12, 2010
Visit site

I tried wiping Dalvik cache and it didn't help. I'll do the other stuff when I get home from work and see if they work.

Thanks

crump13

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Quick question, I have an extra micro sd card, if i format that and remove my existing sd card can I put the extra card in and then directly go in to recovery and factroy wipe / cache wipe/ Dalvik wipe and then install SkyRaider 4.0 from zip on SD card (of courses I would have to have put the zip file on my extra SD card first). Is it as simple as that or are their other folders required folders/files that I need to put on that extra SD card after I format it and before I put it in my phone and do all this?

rpz3.14

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Quick question, I have an extra micro sd card, if i format that and remove my existing sd card can I put the extra card in and then directly go in to recovery and factroy wipe / cache wipe/ Dalvik wipe and then install SkyRaider 4.0 from zip on SD card (of courses I would have to have put the zip file on my extra SD card first). Is it as simple as that or are their other folders required folders/files that I need to put on that extra SD card after I format it and before I put it in my phone and do all this?

I'm pretty sure anything needed will be built if it's not there. Of course, any programs installed to the SD card won't be there, but if you're doing a fresh install, that should work.

crump13

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I removed my existing sd card and put my extra sd card in after I put the skyraider 4.0 zip on it and I went in to recovery and I did two dalvik wipes, and two wipe data/factory resets and then installed skyraider 4.0 from the sd card and I'm still not able to log in to FB for HTC Sense. I can log into FB for android app but it will not allow me to sync my contacts and stuff with FB for android.

I guess the next step is to fine the CWM 3.0.0.7 version and roll back to that and see if that helps.

It just doesn't make sense why everything works perfectly except FB for Sense. There are a 100 other things that I don't use or care about that could not work and not bother me and it's not the FB thing that is the biggest deal, it's the contact pics and quick status messages I see on each contact record that sync with FB that is the biggest thing.

crump13

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I can log in to FB every where else (computer, FB for android, laptop) without a problem. I get a pop up box saying "Warning: The Service is currently unavailable. Do you want to try again" and I can select Yes or No, If I select yes the error just repeatedly comes up so I have to select No to get out of that loop. But I can then open up the FB for Android app and log in just fine. It is only with the FB for Sense which is in the accounts and sync settings that I can't log into.

It's a mystery....

Edit: I just changed my FB password and tried logging in to FB for Sense and I got the same error.

Last edited:

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried a non-sense ROM like CM7? Could be friendstream/fb for sense is all crapped up. CM7 is a VERY awesome vanilla ROM.

crump13

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried a non-sense ROM like CM7? Could be friendstream/fb for sense is all crapped up. CM7 is a VERY awesome vanilla ROM.

Can I sync my FB contacts and status updates to my phone contacts so I have their FB pic as my contact pics with a vanilla ROM? I have never tried one since I like the FB for Sense and if i went with a Senseless ROM i would loose that but if that ROM would allow the contact sync that is really all I want from FB anyway.

Tripsyk

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Can I sync my FB contacts and status updates to my phone contacts so I have their FB pic as my contact pics with a vanilla ROM?

Yes, CM7 allows you to sync contacts with Facebook and gives you the option to import all contact info from all your Facebook friends just like the sense Facebook app does (although the sync all friends thing is ******ed, IMO).

crump13

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I really only like the sync think for the contact pictures. I have a lot of contacts and it is nice to have their FB pic as their contact pic and as they change their pic on FB it updates on my phone too so I don't have to go in to FB often to keep tabs with folks, I can by their profile pic and their status updates that scrolls under their name on their contact record.

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I really only like the sync think for the contact pictures. I have a lot of contacts and it is nice to have their FB pic as their contact pic and as they change their pic on FB it updates on my phone too so I don't have to go in to FB often to keep tabs with folks, I can by their profile pic and their status updates that scrolls under their name on their contact record.

Just had a thought...are you trying this on WiFi or 3G?

I've had lots of problems with my FB app not working over certain WiFi's for no real rhyme or reason. If I'm in a place where it doesn't work, I turn off the wifi and go back to 3G and surprise, it works.

crump13

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Just had a thought...are you trying this on WiFi or 3G?

I've had lots of problems with my FB app not working over certain WiFi's for no real rhyme or reason. If I'm in a place where it doesn't work, I turn off the wifi and go back to 3G and surprise, it works.

I have tried it both via WiFi and 3g. Right now i'm on 3g and the interesting thing is when I tried login just now through accounts and sync, I got the typical error box that popped up saying "Warning, the service is currently unavailable, do you want to try again"... my practice is to hit yes a few times in a row and on one of those times I accidentally hit the keyboard in the background which added a letter to my password and when I hit yes to try again I got the message that I had an invalid password. So this means it is getting through to FB because there is no way of knowing if my password was correct or not if it didn't. So I'm wondering if there is some setting on FB that I might have changed without knowing that is blocking me from signing in to HTC Sense FB but still let me use the FB for Android app.

Is that possible?

crump13

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Mystery is solved!!! :D

There is setting in FB that allows you to set the privacy of apps and I was getting a lot of farmville/mafia wars/ treasure isle...... invites and wall posts from my friends so I went to the application privacy and selected turn off all platform apps, which stopped all the annoying wall posts. I figured if i just turned them all off it would save me the time of having to go and select all the apps my friends are playing and blocking them individually. Well, after I did that, it worked I was no longer getting anymore wall post on all these games. But I guess FB for Sense connects to FB as a platform app and it blocked it. I didn't connect the two until today when I put in my wrong FB password and it gave me the incorrect FB password message and that let me believe it was something on FB side.

So this whole issue had nothing to do with Sense or my phone it was me changing my FB platform app settings.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions and help!! :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair