Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts

Default Rooting for a Rook

I want to try something new, so im going to try to root my d inc. But first i need to know where to start... i know i go to unrevoked and follow those steps, but what else am i supposed to get? i keep seeing stuff about roms, kernals, etc. i wanna go with cyanogen mod 7. where and how do i get that? please help.
    Thanked by:
    The Ever-Living

Global Posts
    5,097 Global Posts
    ROM
    KANG

after you have rooted, you need rom manager, you flash recovery with it, and make a backup.
    Cm7 links can be found in op of nightlies thread by crondable. Cm7 comes with a kernel baked into it so you won't need to flash one.
    You will also want to look into titanium backup.
    And make sure you read alot before you do anything.
    Last edited by zero neck; 05-15-2011 at 07:34 PM.

ROM
    HTC One (Verizon) Stock

Quote Originally Posted by megamef View Post
    I want to try something new, so im going to try to root my d inc. But first i need to know where to start... i know i go to unrevoked and follow those steps, but what else am i supposed to get? i keep seeing stuff about roms, kernals, etc. i wanna go with cyanogen mod 7. where and how do i get that? please help.
    PLEEEAAAASSSEEEE!!! After you root before you ANYTHING, make a Nandroid backup first!!! If you don't know what that is you need to read some more. If you do know what that is take my advice and DO IT. It will one day save your bacon after you've goofed your phone and don't know what else to do you can always revert to your back up and its like nothing ever happened.

ROMs, kernels, CM7, all take a back seat to making your nandroid backup.
    "I drank what?" -Socrates

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

Megamef - Also please read the folowing threads!

http://forum.androidcentral.com/incr...ncredible.html

http://forum.androidcentral.com/incr...hing-roms.html

Ask questions if you have them - We're here to help!

Happy Reading... then Happy Flashing!
    Some say that his dormant chips were left that way for YOUR SAFETY... Others say that once "turned on," he can not be turned off... All we know is... He's called The Stig.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts

Cool, thx for the info
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts

2 more questions.. #1. Is the unrevoked forever required, or an option (turn s-on to s-off)? #2. Can I get custom roms directly from my phone or do I have to get them off computer first, hen put them on phone?

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

#1 No. The current version of Unrevoked does S-Off by default.

#2 Either or both. You can use ROM Manager to download ROMs, but I would flash them manually. Also you can go direct to the website on the phone to download, or you can download on PC and copy over. It all depends on how reliable your downloads are on 3G. If thay are good your OK, If not use Wi-Fi on the phone or the PC.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by PvilleComp; 05-16-2011 at 12:55 AM. Reason: typo
    Some say that his dormant chips were left that way for YOUR SAFETY... Others say that once "turned on," he can not be turned off... All we know is... He's called The Stig.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts

Ok thanks and yes, this has helped a lot.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts

umm ok, so i downloaded and installed cyanogenmod from their site. the file i downloaded is "update-cm-7.0.3-Inc-signed.zip". I backed up everything, and switched to cm7 and now i am stuck at what appears to be a black loading screen with an arrow circling droid on skateboard. i tried rebooting and battery pull but it jus keeps looping. i let it run its course but it stays like this for a while... uhhh can anyone assist me please!!!!!

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

Let it sit on the Skateboarder for 10 min or more. First boot on a new ROM can take what seems like FOREVER!.