Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree8Likes

Default Re: [GUIDE] Preparing your HTC Droid Incredible for the Gingerbre

Quote Originally Posted by PvilleComp View Post
    Your file manager should have a R/W setting on it that will allow you to modify the file. Different File manager's have it in different places. For example Root Explorer has a Mount R/W button right on the top of the screen.

If you want to unroot and use the Stock OTA you should follow the instructions here:
    [GUIDE] Preparing your HTC Droid Incredible for the Gingerbread OTA

This will give you the Stock HBOOT and Stock Recovery as well as unrooted Stock Froyo. Then you can go get the GB OTA.

Hope this helps both of you.
    Thanks, Stig. Sorry that I didn't phrase my question clearly. Even though it's rooted, my phone is offering me the OTA update. What I'm asking is, what if I simply allow it to update?

If necessary I have the stock recovery... What if I just put that back on there and let it update? Will anything bad happen to my phone?

Quote Originally Posted by jrkagan View Post
    Thanks, Stig. Sorry that I didn't phrase my question clearly. Even though it's rooted, my phone is offering me the OTA update. What I'm asking is, what if I simply allow it to update?

If necessary I have the stock recovery... What if I just put that back on there and let it update? Will anything bad happen to my phone?
    Thanks again for your help, Stig. I hope you can answer my question above, too... I would strongly prefer not to have to clear my phone's data.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #53  

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

You should be able to flash the rooted update above by just clearing cache and Dalvik Cache (Under Advanced) in Clockwork Recovery - Make a backup first!

You may have to re-install a few apps, but others have had success by just flashing without doing a full reset. If there are problems though then you will either have to do a factory reset or restore your backup, go through the unrooting steps and then apply the OTA.

You will not be able to apply the OTA while you are rooted, the HBOOT and Recovery files on a rooted phone are not compatible with the OTA.

Hope this helps.
    Some say that his dormant chips were left that way for YOUR SAFETY... Others say that once "turned on," he can not be turned off... All we know is... He's called The Stig.

You should be able to flash the rooted update above by just clearing cache and Dalvik Cache (Under Advanced) in Clockwork Recovery - Make a backup first!

You may have to re-install a few apps, but others have had success by just flashing without doing a full reset. If there are problems though then you will either have to do a factory reset or restore your backup, go through the unrooting steps and then apply the OTA.

You will not be able to apply the OTA while you are rooted, the HBOOT and Recovery files on a rooted phone are not compatible with the OTA.

Hope this helps.
    That worked! Thank you for all your help.
    Resident Ringtone Maker

Global Posts
    7,013 Global Posts
    ROM
    BB JB

Stig,Adt night was my first night of sleep. 5 football games of editing. Lol.

I thought you said this one is ok to run right over rooted phones. Unless I'm in the wrong thread. Am I even on android central? I thought this was treo central lol.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #56  

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

Tony - use the link in the Sept OTA thread in the ROMs and Hacks forum. That's the latest rooted OTA.

jrkagen - glad it worked for you!
    Some say that his dormant chips were left that way for YOUR SAFETY... Others say that once "turned on," he can not be turned off... All we know is... He's called The Stig.
    Resident Ringtone Maker

Global Posts
    7,013 Global Posts
    ROM
    BB JB

ok thanks.
    I wiped my storage by accident and had to restore from a backup.
    The Davik cache is in the bootloader screen right?

And for everything else just go into each app and delete the cache?
    Resident Ringtone Maker

Global Posts
    7,013 Global Posts
    ROM
    BB JB

Tony - use the link in the Sept OTA thread in the ROMs and Hacks forum. That's the latest rooted OTA.

jrkagen - glad it worked for you!

ok...I just downloaded the one you have on XDA...ugh lol
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #59  

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

No need to delete the cache in each app. In Recovery - delete cache is on the main screen, delete Dalvik cache is on the Advanced screen. Then flash in recovery.

The Radio (from the other thread) is loaded in HBOOT.

I feel like I'm chasing... or stalking you in the forums tonight LOL
    Resident Ringtone Maker

Global Posts
    7,013 Global Posts
    ROM
    BB JB

LOL...wait so I have the right one....

I am not ready to do the radio.

Sorry, I am just not an advanced rooted guy..

Give me software like autocad, etc and I can customize and program the heck out of it with lisp routines etc lol.....

I appreciate it though. I really do.....I am not an XDA member....just too technical for me.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #61  

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

Too many threads at once!!!!!

Yes, the Link to XDA from the Sept 2011 Rooted GB ROM thread is the correct one.

You don't have to read the XDA stuff to sign up - but when you sign up you can at least use the links. The truth is that not many dev's post their stuff here, so rather than cause credit confusion about who is the author/finder of the work I always link back to the source.

You may remember that there was a brouhaha over that here about a year or so ago. Best to make sure there is no confusion.
    Thanked by:
    Resident Ringtone Maker

Global Posts
    7,013 Global Posts
    ROM
    BB JB

well I just installed it.
    It hung for like 2 minutes and then finished...
    If I remember, any apps that need to be restored (I don't use root manager or nandroid) only Titanium just never restore system data correct?
    Resident Ringtone Maker

Global Posts
    7,013 Global Posts
    ROM
    BB JB

Too many threads at once!!!!!

Yes, the Link to XDA from the Sept 2011 Rooted GB ROM thread is the correct one.

You don't have to read the XDA stuff to sign up - but when you sign up you can at least use the links. The truth is that not many dev's post their stuff here, so rather than cause credit confusion about who is the author/finder of the work I always link back to the source.

You may remember that there was a brouhaha over that here about a year or so ago. Best to make sure there is no confusion.
    LOL I am an AC Machine tonight. I remember the xda thing BIG TIME.

Some like yourself though make the links available without having an xda acct.

uh oh....phone on booting up is stuck at the droid eye splash screen!
    Resident Ringtone Maker

Global Posts
    7,013 Global Posts
    ROM
    BB JB

wait...we have LIFTOFF!!!!!!!
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #65  

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

Everything should be as you left it!

Yeaaaaa - Victory! Let there be singing and dancing... let the wee people sing folk songs on the mountain and let the beer flow freely in the rivers!
    Resident Ringtone Maker

Global Posts
    7,013 Global Posts
    ROM
    BB JB

I actually had UID PARTITION ERRORS so I just reset everything.
    I want to format my men card too but don't want to lose my angry birds and wwf game data lol.

I un-rooted and put my phone back to stock 2.2 but I haven't received an OTA update yet. I downloaded the actual file and put it on my SD card... how can I force it to run?
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #68  

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

Quote Originally Posted by Phantm View Post
    I un-rooted and put my phone back to stock 2.2 but I haven't received an OTA update yet. I downloaded the actual file and put it on my SD card... how can I force it to run?
    Here are the step by step instructions (They may be a little tedious but they cover Everything!)
    OTA Gingerbread!

Hello,
    I have droid incredible and did upgraded to 2.3 gingerbread by using 2.3 OTA. I want to go back to FROYO as I have some issues. When I try to use the unroot using RUU I am getting error message saying the RUU I am using is not latest image update. Can you let me know if I am doing wrong thing. I even tried to unroot using froyo file but not able to go to HBoot mode. Can some one help me how to load HBoot. The Power button and Volume down button not working for HBoot. Any toehr ways please.

Thanks
    Last edited by tvklovesu; 09-27-2011 at 02:06 PM.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #70  

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

Updated download links from dougpiston.com to pvillecomp.com.

woot
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #72  

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

Updated Prep instructions for Stock users to move any apps stored on SD card to internal memory to prevent "breakage."
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123