Differences betwen Sense or AOSP? Etc

Network24

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Ok so I have been reading, reading, and reading about ROMS and I am beginning to get a little confused. At first I thought there was only Sense or AOSP (but i'm not sure what makes these things different) but then i found this site ROMs - The Incredible List and started to see terms like vanilla, gingersense, or senseless. I know that Sense is the UI for HTC but what do these other terms mean? Can anyone clear this up for me? If you have a pictures of the differences can you post them?

Dark Wizard Matoya

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Sense-HTC's custom UI. If you have a Dinc then you're already familiar with it. It has it's own look and comes with all of HTC's widgets, like Friendstream and the famous flip clock. Gingersense simply means that the ROM is based off of Android 2.3 Gingerbread with the Sense UI on top of it.

Senseless-A ROM based on Sense but that has had large elements of the Sense UI stripped away. The best example of this on the Dinc is Skyraider Athena, which is based on the Sense framework but for the most part looks and feels like AOSP Android.

AOSP-Android Open Source Project. This is Android as Google created it without any manufacturer UI's on top of it. There are several AOSP ROM's available for the Dinc, the most well known being Cyanogenmod 7 (CM7).

Hope that helped. :)

Reactions: Network24

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
This is where Science becomes art! ;) The naming. It's all marketing. Bottom line it's either Sense or AOSP. Gingersense is a gingerbread Sense ROM (either sense 2 or sense 3, the stock DInc sense or a Hybrid of any/all three!); senseless is a Sense based ROM but the launcher has been replaced; Vanilla is AOSP or Google UI based.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: Network24

Lee_Bo

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
Sense based roms also take up a lot more space on your phone than AOSP roms do. I did an install of Skyraider without installing anything additional, and then did a nandroid backup. I then did the same thing with CM7. I discovered the backup for Skyraider was 140 megs while the backup for CM7 was only 80 megs.

This really has little to no effect on phone performance, but I just wanted to share.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22