Any ROMs that are 100% glitch free and retain 100% functionality

JakeRoux

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
With the continued delay of Gingerbread and the constant reference to rooted ROMs, I'm just curious - are there any custom GB ROMs which:

1. Are 100% glitch free
2. Retain at least 100% of stock device functionality, and
3. Are easy to install once the device is rooted?

Although my device is rooted so I can run a few apps that require it, I have not yet taken the custom ROM plunge due to these concerns. While I appreciate the efforts and interests of those tinker-ers out there, I'm just not willing to lose device functionality or serve as a beta tester just to get a slicker looking OS.

Advice? Suggestions?

somerussianguy

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Re: Any ROMs that are 100% glitch free and retain 100% functional

1. No!...All ROMs, all operating systems, be it mobile or computer have some bugs/glitches.
2. I guess that would depend on the device and what you mean by functionality.
3. Well, installing ROMs in general, is pretty easy once you get the hang of it. You might want to install Clockwork Mod Recovery as it gives you more options over the stock recovery. Once you have it, boot in to it and: wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache, wipe Dalvik cache, & finally Install .zip from SD card. That's it. Your new ROM is waiting for you as soon as you reboot your phone. Well this is how I do it on my Nexus S, you should always check out the installation instructions. It might sound complicated at first but once you know how to do it, installing a new ROM can be done in under 5 minutes. CM7 is generally regarded as one of the best, if not THE best ROM out there for any phone. I went from stock Gingerbread 2.3.4 to CM7 2.3.7 and never looked back at the stock ROM....well I did flash other ROMs but never went back to stock until a day ago when I had to so I can update to ICS.

JakeRoux

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site

Thanks RussianGuy.
By glitch free, I guess I should have said at least as glitch free as the stock Froyo OS.
By device, I'm referring specifically to the Infuse.
By stock functionality, I'm referring to the fact that it seems that I've seen references to several of the custom ROMs causing the Infuse to lose a portion of its camera functions. I haven't researched all of them, perhaps there are some or many that do not cause the Infuse to lose any of its stock functionality - thus my inquiry. Just looking for recommendations that may fit the criteria I've described above.

Thanks again.

somerussianguy

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site

Hmm, not sure about the Infuse since I'm using a different phone...You can backup your stock ROM with Clockwork Mod plus there seem to be other ways of going back to stock on XDA (link below). Not sure if you've checked all those ROMs or not but from the looks of it, there are ways to go back to stock if anything should go wrong. Which camera function are you talking about by the way?

[REF] Infuse 4G Super Thread - ONE STOP SHOP FOR EVERYTHING - xda-developers

JakeRoux

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site

Thanks again for the assistance. As I recall, a couple of the Infuse custom ROMs I was looking at disabled the front or rear camera. Don't remember the specifics, other than ruling those out since rear facing works fine for video an stills and my front facing works fine for video in Tango using the stock OS. Will just do a little further investigating over at xda. Thanks again...

somerussianguy

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site

Damn, I didn't think it was that bad! I thought you meant those ROMs disabled flash or exposure level or something like that...didn't think they'd disable the cameras themselves! Anyway, XDA is your friend for information. I'd also suggest you watch some YouTube videos on flashing ROMs or any hacking-related material because you can actually see how it looks and what would happen on your phone screen while doing it. Happy Hacking!

joe1987

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site

I agree, XDA and YouTube is great, XDA is endless supply of knowledge and "how to's". I can spend hours just reading and reading...knowledge is a great tool.

I have installed different ROMs on my Captivate and now my Infuse, with attention to detail is a must...to keep from "bricking".

The current ROM I am using on my Infuse is the best I have seen and used IMO on my Infuse.

cwmont13

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site

JakeRoux

Your post sounds just like where I was coming from not too long ago. Wondering when (if ever) an official GB upgrade from Samsung might show up. I finally decided that "never" is probably the answer. So I decided to see what I could do to improve my Infuse.

First I hit XDA and youtube for some searching and rooted with super oneclick using instructions on link below.

How To Root Samsung Infuse 4G On Android 2.2 With SuperOneClick

Then installed Titanium BU and Root Explorer from the market and installed the 3e modded recovery using instructions from link below.

Modified 3e Recovery For Samsung Infuse 4G-Flash Unsigned Zip Files

I also watched a vid on youtube showing the 3e install as well as installing ClockworkMod (CWM) by using Rom Manager from the market using the link below.

How To Install 3e Recovery & ClockworkMod AT&T Infuse 4G - YouTube

After all that I was set up to install just about any rom out there right now. As I was searching on youtube, I found this vid showing how to use Rom Manager to install custom roms. As I already had Rom Manager on the phone, I decided to see what I could do with it. I'm new to Andriod having come over a couple of months ago from years of using a BB so I was a bit tentative about flashing a rom and possibly bricking my phone. The procedure in the video looked fairly easy so I decided to try it.

I wanted to make sure I kept all the basic functions of the phone working as I need the camera and video camera, GPS, Bluetooth, and other stuff working. I mainly wanted to remove the AT&T bloatware, get some performance increases, better battery life, and whatever custom stuff might be included in the new rom. After looking around I decided to try the Infused v1.6.0 from gtg465x included in Rom Manager. It's Froyo based and while not the latest rom out there seems to be stable on my Infuse. I followed the procedure in the video and using Rom Manager everything went perfectly. Links below.

Samsung Infuse how to install the infused ROM - YouTube

[ROM] Infused v1.6.0 - Froyo - (08/31/11) - Maintenance update! - xda-developers

I've been using it a few days now and the overall performance of the phone is way way better than the stock rom. Feels like a completely different phone. Lots faster overall, GPS works perfectly, front, back, video cameras work great and the power switch mod to use it as a shutter button makes the camera easier to use. Even though this rom is Froyo based, running on my Infuse it outperforms my Wife's HTC Inspire which is running Gingerbread. So far very happy and will probably just run with this rom till my upgrade comes up in February.

JakeRoux

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site

Thanks guys for the additional advice, instructions, links and encouragement. May have to better educate myself about it over the holiday down time and give it a go. I've got the first step under my belt already, having installed SuperOneClick a couple of months ago. It is a corporate issued phone though, thus part of my hesitation...

Thanks again for the valuable info.

fox0137

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

Check out these links. IMO they have everything you need to go from stock to root to modded recovery, CWM and then flashing YOUR choice of ROMs.

[REF] Infuse 4G Super Thread - ONE STOP SHOP FOR EVERYTHING - xda-developers

15 Links that will carry noobs from Stock>Root>3eRecovery>ROM - xda-developers

As of right now I am running CatyRom v 2.1 ICS Edition. Link below.

[ROM]CatyRom_Extreme_ICS_Edition_v2.1[2.3.6]UCKJ4_[Updated]12-7-11 - xda-developers

This rom has been running smoothly for me so far and looks awesome!!

You wont regret taking the plunge.

Reactions: reefrunway

buzzman

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site

Zeus rom just came out about 2 weeks ago and everything works. Including sound on first call after booting and bluetooth. It's pretty great! Developer is the same who did Caty rom. Check out xda.

lavman72

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site

I too am new to rooting and Custom ROM's, but took the plunge last week. Running Infused v1.6. The process was fine, mainly because the Youtube video spelled out everything step by step. One thing to emphasize is Titanium backup is a must. Without it, I would have lost all my apps. I had heard that once you wipe data, install the Custom ROM, and reconnect to the Market, will start re-installing apps to your phone. I'm not sure if that is true, as I did not see that happening. But being able to move those apps back in was a savior. I also use Go Launcher, so from purely a visible standpoint, there isn't much difference. I plan on flashing the Infused 2.2.3 ROM, which I believe is Gingerbread based.

buzzman

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site

I recommend Titanium back up Pro version. Worth the $5 or so. It automatically allows batch reinstalls. The non pro version makes you do them 1 by 1. I made this mistake once and it was very frustrating!

joe1987

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site

I too am new to rooting and Custom ROM's, but took the plunge last week. Running Infused v1.6. The process was fine, mainly because the Youtube video spelled out everything step by step. One thing to emphasize is Titanium backup is a must. Without it, I would have lost all my apps. I had heard that once you wipe data, install the Custom ROM, and reconnect to the Market, will start re-installing apps to your phone. I'm not sure if that is true, as I did not see that happening. But being able to move those apps back in was a savior. I also use Go Launcher, so from purely a visible standpoint, there isn't much difference. I plan on flashing the Infused 2.2.3 ROM, which I believe is Gingerbread based.

Being new, I would read and read the forums at Android & Windows Phone: Tablets, Apps, & ROMs @ xda-developers there is a ton of knowledge, and attention to detail, will keep "bricking" from happening. For the infuse there are some many that have knowledge. I have flashed so many ROM's in trying all in the Infuse forum. Take away from this is:

Read, Read, Read and research thru the XDA forums and jump into the process....

reefrunway

May 7, 2011
Visit site

Good thread! I appreciate the thorough feedback from the guys (and/or gals) that took the time to put together the "how-to's" above. I, too, am ready for some GB action and am going to take the plunge with a custom ROM. I've been rooted since a couple days after I bought the phone (on the day it was released) but have yet to flash a custom ROM. My concerns were similar to those voiced in the OP... namely, I didn't want to lose functionality of the camera and a couple other little glitches that I've read about over the months. But looks like, depending on which ROM of course, those problems have largely been addressed.

Thanks again, and I'll report back with my experience!

tamelion1117

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

tamelion1117

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I was running ZTR, but it had an issue where you have to toggle the phone in and out of speakerphone before receiver audio will work. A lot of Roms have this issue for the first call, but with ZTR this was an issue was with all calls. I was able to replicate this issue on my phone and my wife's as well. Cm7 was my next favorite. The only issue with that rom was that the Bluetooth wouldn't work. Same with Cm9, which also presented some issues with cwm distortion if you didn't have Gb boot loaders. I'm currently running Zeus 6. Waiting for Bluetooth fix for cm9.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

tim horton

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site

Cm7 was my next favorite. The only issue with that rom was that the Bluetooth wouldn't work. Same with Cm9, which also presented some issues with cwm distortion if you didn't have Gb boot loaders. I'm currently running Zeus 6. Waiting for Bluetooth fix for cm9.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

How can I tell if I have the GB or Froyo bootloaders for my cwm? Does the camera work for cm9?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay