Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Default Browser goes to Ads and other non-requested pages automatically

I am using the default browser since I purchased the device (non-rooted). I recently DL'd several Live Wallpapers and things went sideways from there.

* home page would not load or be reset to something else not of my choosing
    * only would load ad pages when browser was launched instead of home page or defined search engine
    * can load other pages but don't want to do anything for fear of getting data stolen.
    * lots of entries in my App section that cannot be uninstalled and they suspicious as hell. i.e "Buddies Now'

I am not sure if i am hosed or not. I've uninstalled all the apps I thought I installed, no joy. I tried several AV's and they don't find anything and the problem still persists.

Do I need to flatten this phone or is there a way to pull this crud off? I sure would like some closer on this.

Thanks in advance!
    -J
    Professional

Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    ROM
    JellyBean 4.1.1

Default Re: Default Browser goes to Ads and other non-requested pages automatically

Go into settings, manage apps, all, and clear the defaults on the browser. It may be listed as Internet or Browser.
    Cranky...

Ported JW8 SAUROM Project / Galaxy Blue - Theme -

Is Anybody Out There?

Default Re: Default Browser goes to Ads and other non-requested pages automatically

Quote Originally Posted by Jesterjim View Post
    I am using the default browser since I purchased the device (non-rooted). I recently DL'd several Live Wallpapers and things went sideways from there.

* home page would not load or be reset to something else not of my choosing
    * only would load ad pages when browser was launched instead of home page or defined search engine
    * can load other pages but don't want to do anything for fear of getting data stolen.
    * lots of entries in my App section that cannot be uninstalled and they suspicious as hell. i.e "Buddies Now'

I am not sure if i am hosed or not. I've uninstalled all the apps I thought I installed, no joy. I tried several AV's and they don't find anything and the problem still persists.

Do I need to flatten this phone or is there a way to pull this crud off? I sure would like some closer on this.

Thanks in advance!
    -J
    Buddies now is bloatware from AT&T or Samsung.

Global Posts
    980 Global Posts

My last four phones from at&t have all been Samsung phones. None of them had an app called Buddies anything.

Phones were:

Galaxy Note 2 (present)
    Galaxy S3
    Galaxy Note
    Galaxy S2

To the OP, most people don't believe in antivirus apps, but download one and try it. It couldn't hurt to try. I have AVG on my phone, but there are others like Avast in the marketplace. They are free and offer a small piece of mind if anything.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums

last four phones from at&t have all been Samsung phones. None of them had an app called Buddies anything.

Phones were:

Galaxy Note 2 (present)
    Galaxy S3
    Galaxy Note
    Galaxy S2
    My Samsung Infuse came with it.
    Buddies now - from Samsung. Google it.