Ingress N00b Q&A

HAAS599

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I have the beta and played a few of the tutorials, but I'm just not getting it.

Can someone who has this game figured out tell me what I'm supposed to be doing in layman's terms?

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Re: Ingress N00b help

I have the beta and played a few of the tutorials, but I'm just not getting it.

Can someone who has this game figured out tell me what I'm supposed to be doing in layman's terms?

The short, short version: Keep your XM total high. Hack the other side's portals and claim them as your own. Snag unclaimed portals. Submit new portals. Make your friends jealous that you're playing and they're not. :p

etnpnys

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site

I haven't managed to do a whole lot because, well, you know - I have kids and a job and stuff that need my attention also. But it seems pretty cool... Basically, it's kinda like capture the flag with zones and real life landmarks.

You hack portals to get information about them. You also get objects when you hack them, such as "resonators" (used to help power up your team's portals) and "portal keys" (kinda like passwords to access that portal) which you use to link portals together in triangles to create zones.

I don't know yet what the zones do. And I don't know anything about hacking the other team's portals but I read that the portals attack you back while you are trying, and that's another reason why you need to maintain high XM levels.

etnpnys

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site

One thing that I learned: you can't create portals in-game. You can only find them and use them. If there's none in your immediate area, try going to historical sites or landmarks or something. And check out Ingress Intel. You can find them all there, but make sure you are zoomed to a proper level to see the open portals also.

Last edited:

typhi

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

Hi Everyone,
I'm trying to figure out what exactly I'm supposed to be doing with the "confidential" media I'm picking up from hacking. I know it has something to do with the game codes, but not really putting it together.

Thanks!

Tre Lawrence

May 13, 2010
Visit site

• Collect as much equipment as possible. IOWs: hack a lot!
  • If you live in an area with a lot of highway markers, Niantic's other app, Filed Trip may be helpful.
  • If your portals are under attack, you can recharge them remotely.
  • Leveling up is the best strategy, IMO. easier said than done, but more Ap equals more power.
  • If you want invites and are artistically gifted, follow Brandon Badger on G+.
  • Passcodes seem to have lost infinite usage, so when you find one use it quickly.

MrSherms

Great Googley Moogley!
May 4, 2012
Visit site

Not a gameplay question, but I've been playing Ingress for about 24 hours now, and I still have yet to be asked to enter in my access code anywhere. Am I missing something? I'm fully done with training and have gained a small amount of AP (but am still a LVL1). Is my invite somehow linked to my Google account?

MrSherms

Great Googley Moogley!
May 4, 2012
Visit site

Also, maybe someone with a Nexus 4 can answer this question: Whenever I try to submit a new portal (via sharing a photo), I get the message that my photos have no geolocation. My
"Store Location" setting is set to on for my camera. Any suggestions?

Tre Lawrence

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Also, maybe someone with a Nexus 4 can answer this question: Whenever I try to submit a new portal (via sharing a photo), I get the message that my photos have no geolocation. My
"Store Location" setting is set to on for my camera. Any suggestions?

Some people reported that they did not have to input a code, but it should be tied into your account.

Make sure you have geotagging set up in camera settings.

kkapoorr

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Not a gameplay question, but I've been playing Ingress for about 24 hours now, and I still have yet to be asked to enter in my access code anywhere. Am I missing something? I'm fully done with training and have gained a small amount of AP (but am still a LVL1). Is my invite somehow linked to my Google account?

Do you mean the activation code that came in the invite email? I can't figure it out too

| RESISTANCE IS FUTILE |

user7618

May 17, 2010
Visit site
n00b alert! How can you check to see how much xm you have? I can't seem to find it, if its there.

-----
Note to reader: This post should likely be read in a sarcastic tone of voice.

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
My question...I was collecting blue dots for a while, but now whenever I get close to it nothing happens. I'm sort of just stuck looking at blue dots and can't do anything. WTF am I doing?

etnpnys

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
My question...I was collecting blue dots for a while, but now whenever I get close to it nothing happens. I'm sort of just stuck looking at blue dots and can't do anything. WTF am I doing?
You can't collect any more XM until you aren't full anymore. Your bar at the top must be full.

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
You can't collect any more XM until you aren't full anymore. Your bar at the top must be full.

It is full. When I open, it says "scanner disabled". Obviously I'm supposed to do something to reactivate the scanner...hack a portal or something?