Enlightened vs. Resistance

auburngirl

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
Can someone do an easy breakdown of the difference? How do you choose? Still waiting on my invite, but want to be prepared. Thanks!

PS I might be bought by the small price of an invite. :)

Sent from my Faux GNex

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
The difference is one team is on one side, the other team is on the other. You can choose by flipping a quarter...... :) but seriously, if you want more information, I'd suggest going to nianticproject.com and reading the whole thing. Once you're done that login to Google+ and find out as much information as you can there. You can try and speed up your application process by submitting artwork on Google+ but I wouldn't expect any invites out of this site.

auburngirl

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. That helps. I am following on G+, but my art skills are about zero, so I am going to have to get creative to get an invite I think.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T

user7618

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. That helps. I am following on G+, but my art skills are about zero, so I am going to have to get creative to get an invite I think.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T

Art skills don't matter. I got mine and I can't draw worth a crap. Lol! In fact, it wasn't even a drawing I submitted.

IMAG0065.jpg

-----
Note to reader: This post should likely be read in a sarcastic tone of voice.

Exergy

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I just watched and read all the content on nianticproject.com but I still don't understand which side is which. Can someone enlighten me?

Love Romert

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
For game play, it doesn't matter (at least not so far). Enlightened want to try to use the portals for the benefit of humanity whereas the resistance want to resist and keep things like they were. I chose what I would if it would have been real (enlightened)

Uristocles

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Haha spoken like a true enlightened!
:)

(For other people just getting into this: another way to look at it is that the RESISTANCE are fighting back against the Shapers who have always been around but have finally noticed humanity and are using the ENLIGHTENED to further their own goals, whatever those may be.)

I don't have an invite yet so I may be completely wrong but as you said it doesn't seem to actually make any difference other then awesome immersive storytelling.

For game play, it doesn't matter (at least not so far). Enlightened want to try to use the portals for the benefit of humanity whereas the resistance want to resist and keep things like they were. I chose what I would if it would have been real (enlightened)

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, the best way to pick is to ask someone online to look on the Intel map and pick whichever side is doing worse. The worse off you have it the easier it is to level up and the more options you have for stuff to do.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
It's a capture-the-flag game, from what I can see (I just got my invite yesterday; haven't had time to do anything but gather power on the commute in this morning). Enlightened is green, resistance is blue, flags are called "portals" and have complicated rules on capturing them and how much territory each one represents (by linking three portals, you can capture all the territory in the triangle, for example).

Choose the side that is weaker in your area, or by your favorite color, or whether you think of this game as a remake of "V" where the aliens came promising humanity major advances and ended up looking for a larder, "Falling Skies" where you can't tell who the enemy really is because onion layers keep peeling back, or a "benevolent generous alien" scenario.

In the end, gameplay is basically the same from either side.

Except, of course, that the resistance is fighting for humanity. ;)

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure why you think picking the losing side is makes it easier to level up. If you pick the winning side, sure when you hack your own portals you don't pick up the measly 100 AP for the hack...but once you get up there in the game a bit....you're going to find you wished you had a lot of ammo. Hacking your own portals often gives 2-4 items. Hacking enemy portals often gives 1 or ZERO items. Couple of tips: When placing resonators, try and do it from as far away from the center of the portal as possible. Once you get past level 1, and have some different resonators to place, stagger them. 2/1/2/1/2/1/2/1 NOT 1/1/1/1/2/2/2/2. This makes it a little harder for the enemy to take out. When attacking a portal, make sure you're standing directly on the first resonator you are going to attack, and attack it until it's destroyed. You should then skip every other resonator.....ie NEWS....then do the NW/NE/SW/SE. It doesn't matter where you start, just keep that pattern. Portals that have the most links and the most control fields attached to it, will have HUGE AP to collect once the portal is destroyed......to the tune of 10-20K depending on how many links/fields are on it (and of course the points you get for capturing the portal, placing all 8 resonators, placing 4 shields, and the 8th resonator is another bonus) Everytime you hack your own portal, hit the link button and see if you can make a link somewhere. Nickel and dime this game to death. Get up early, people aren't going to save their portals at 6AM on a Saturday. I took one out this morning by myself, 20K once all was said and done.

Biggest thing is communicating with your team members, chances are those that have been playing for awhile have a lot of items that they don't really need anymore.....ie level 1 resonators...completely useless once you get past level 3.....unless of course you have an abundance of neutral portals in your area, which is probably unlikely.

Do what you want, but that's just my take on things.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure why you think picking the losing side is makes it easier to level up. If you pick the winning side, sure when you hack your own portals you don't pick up the measly 100 AP for the hack...but once you get up there in the game a bit....you're going to find you wished you had a lot of ammo. Hacking your own portals often gives 2-4 items. Hacking enemy portals often gives 1 or ZERO items. Couple of tips: When placing resonators, try and do it from as far away from the center of the portal as possible. Once you get past level 1, and have some different resonators to place, stagger them. 2/1/2/1/2/1/2/1 NOT 1/1/1/1/2/2/2/2. This makes it a little harder for the enemy to take out. When attacking a portal, make sure you're standing directly on the first resonator you are going to attack, and attack it until it's destroyed. You should then skip every other resonator.....ie NEWS....then do the NW/NE/SW/SE. It doesn't matter where you start, just keep that pattern. Portals that have the most links and the most control fields attached to it, will have HUGE AP to collect once the portal is destroyed......to the tune of 10-20K depending on how many links/fields are on it (and of course the points you get for capturing the portal, placing all 8 resonators, placing 4 shields, and the 8th resonator is another bonus) Everytime you hack your own portal, hit the link button and see if you can make a link somewhere. Nickel and dime this game to death. Get up early, people aren't going to save their portals at 6AM on a Saturday. I took one out this morning by myself, 20K once all was said and done.

Biggest thing is communicating with your team members, chances are those that have been playing for awhile have a lot of items that they don't really need anymore.....ie level 1 resonators...completely useless once you get past level 3.....unless of course you have an abundance of neutral portals in your area, which is probably unlikely.

Do what you want, but that's just my take on things.

Truthfully spoken. I hack resistance portals daily not to mention I stay next to 2 of em lol. 3 lv3 xmp busters daily I now have 15 and have xmpz of every level. Another tip upgrade portals also seeing as u get 75 ap for every one u upgrade and every shield u put down

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I've gotten to lv3 by doing this bro lol. Just was doing it last night in downtown Chicago. Its mostly all resistance and I went and created a couple links and put resonators down in each of our portals as I could and was lv3 before I got on the train. Real talk

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Interesting. Maybe its a bug/glitch. I was out this morning upgrading resonators, and didn't get anything for doing so. I can guarantee you're getting points for the links/control fields, and placing resonators on vacant spaces. If you are indeed getting points for simply upgrading existing resonators, then you should probably report what's happening to Google. This IS a Beta, and the whole purpose of a beta is to report things that aren't working as they should.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Well it wasn't a bug I just miswrote. I got points for my shield deployment but not on upgrading

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Well it wasn't a bug I just miswrote. I got points for my shield deployment but not on upgrading

Yes, and if you have tons of shields to burn you can actually get points for replacing a shield, too. Just click upgrade, click a shield slot, click remove, confirm, then deploy a new shield there.

Not many points, but I used it when I needed 1,000 points to level and unlock a bunch of higher-level gear I had been accumulating.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums