Here is what you do when you start playing Ingress!

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Seeing around the sites there are tons of people who can't figure out what to do with this game when they start, I decided to attempt to be helpful. Here's what you should do when you begin playing.

-Do all the training missions! These are your game tutorial. They're not the greatest thing, but it shows you the real basic things you have to do to be successful.
-Do all the training missions again! If you don't understand something, try redoing the training missions. Especially if you live out in the sticks like me and don't have any portals within walking distance, this is something to do to check out the game and have some fun.
-Make sure you are at max XM as much as possible. When you first start, you don't have a full bar of XM. Spend some time walking or driving around to fill up your XM bar. Try to always have this bar as full as possible so you can always act when necessary. Almost all actions cost XM to perform. KEEP THE BAR FULL. (Protip on filling XM bar, hop in the car and drive around for 10 minutes does it for me at low levels)
-Farm farm farm. In the beginning, the game is pretty boring. You can't go nuke the opponent's city to oblivion because you don't have any armaments. Even if you did you wouldn't have any resonators to secure the portals for yourself. Spend however much time you deem necessary farming up tons of stuff. TONS of stuff. Not like 5XMPs. 5 XMPs won't do anything. You need more like 50 XMPs. Get yourself armed to the teeth no matter if it takes days. Especially if your city is owned by the opposing faction. You will get 100AP for hacking enemy portals to farm stuff up, but you will get more items from your own portals. You can hack portals four times in a four hour period, with a five minute cooldown between each hack. It's wise to find an area with 4-5-6 portals you can walk around in a circle between that takes five minutes. If there are two areas like that even better. Try to hit those places before work, maybe on lunch if you can, and before you go home. Gather up as many level 1 XMPs, resonators, and shields as you can BEFORE your assault. This is also good practice for later, because no matter what stage of the game you're playing, you will be farming a ton. You might as well become efficient at it now. (Some out there say to ask your faction for low level items as they have them. I don't agree with this line of thinking. You will level more quickly this way, yes, however you will not have the knowledge of the battlefield, the AP gain from hacking enemy portals, and you won't have a good idea of the people playing around you as you won't be reading the com for as long) (Also you will have tons of portal keys, those are useful)
-When you have a sufficient ammount of level 1 XMPs and resonators, go to town. No really, go into town, and start taking it over. XMP mechanics are pretty straightforward. Stand ON TOP of a resonator before you begin attacking, then attack till the one you're standing on is gone. You will do ~15% on average to the one you're on top of, then lesser damage to the nearest resonators to your location. I believe the latter number is between 4-7 from experience, however I can't say for sure. After that one is down walk ACROSS the portal to the one across from you and take that one down. Again, your splash damage will weaken the other resonators. If you started with the northmost resonator, second would be southmost, then you'd go to either east or westmost and repeat till the portals are down. It takes a lot of XMPs to take down a portal with eight resonators of your same level, and even more with shielding deployed. That's all you got at level 1 so you will need tons and tons of XMPs. After you've taken down the enemy resonators, it's time to deploy your own. Drop eight of those bad boys and some shielding if you have it and go to the next closest portal. Try to get three portals very near each other. This will make life easier.
-When you've taken 2 portals in a very small geographic area to each other, it's time to link. Access portal menu, choose link, select destination, and gain a buttload of AP. (Note that the destination portal key will disapear from your inventory when you link and you'll have to rehack it to acquire another)
-Now that you have 2 linked, go for a third. When you've secured the third link it with the other 2 and create a control field. Control fields are the factor in who has the global control. The more control fields covering the most landmass, the better your faction is doing at that point in time. This is all fleeting, however it's a huge part of the game. Creating a control field is another huge boost to your AP.
-By now you're at least level 2, probably level 3 if you're creating fields. You now understand what to do to play the game alone. This is not a solo game though. It's cool to go out by yourself and wreck some shop, yes. Yes it is. I enjoy doing that. You won't establish long term control doing that though. The key in the early game is to level, and you level faster by playing alone, maybe getting some items from a teammate. Now that you're knee deep in the fight, it's time to work together with your faction. Set up days where you will either meet up or get on IRC or something and all go to a location to take over the city. Plan your attacks and fortifications ahead of time, who goes where and does what. Then plan to keep it up.

Hopefully this long winded post helped some people. I don't think I could do any more for you unless I come to your house, steal your phone, and play the game for you. There are other sites around with theorycrafting that explain the exact mechanics of how XMPs and portal shields work. At the outset this isn't all that important to know, and some trial and error will help you to understand what they're saying in the theory craft posts. Good luck out there, but only if you're an agent of the Resistance :-$

-Uribam

Last edited:

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
One more thought for you. Just because you hit level 2 or 3 doesn't mean your level 1 XMPs aren't still useful. A weapon is a weapon. If you are assaulting a heavily fortified part of town and run out of level 2 XMPs at level 2, you can still finish the job with a ton of level 1 XMPs you've been saving and keeping around. You can feel free to give them to lower level players around you, but it's better to have a weapon than no weapon at all.
The best real example I can think of to compare this to is the ballistic knife. If memory serves, the ballistic knife was used by the Russians during various points in history. What this thing is, is a knife with a trigger. Inside the handle is a small charge that will shoot off the blade of the knife vaguely in the direction you point it in. This was a pretty dumb weapon as a regular knife is a great last resort. If you have nothing left but a knife you can use the knife indefinitely. If you shoot the blade off your knife, you have a handle. A very small handle. You're out of the game if you're holding only a handle

Moral of the story (tl:dr) don't be an idiot. Don't shoot the blade off your knife. Hang on to your level 1 XMPs.

Road_Rebel

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for this, i was a little confused as to what i was doing this morning when i went out for the first time. this has helped a lot although im not looking forward the amount of petrol im about to go through.

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Glad to be of service. Fuel is killing me as well. Time to invest in bicycles.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Scythe55

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
My screen times out when playing Ingress....anyone have any idea on how to make it keep the screen alive?

BTW, Thank you for the tips above.

rlhammon

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Not possible within the game unfortunately. When you are forced to drive around to play this game (because I'm not in a major city with tons of portals), it's rather distracting to hit the screen all the time to keep it from timing out. You can only pick up XM when the screen is on, so if you aren't full... this is what you have to do. Couldn't imagine doing this on a bike!

kameleon

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
Not possible within the game unfortunately. When you are forced to drive around to play this game (because I'm not in a major city with tons of portals), it's rather distracting to hit the screen all the time to keep it from timing out. You can only pick up XM when the screen is on, so if you aren't full... this is what you have to do. Couldn't imagine doing this on a bike!

I setup a tasker profile that when Ingress is running it will not let the screen go to sleep. The biggest help is when I am low on XM I can just drive around town and collect it without having to take my hands off the wheel (except when I come upon a new portal... :) )

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
The Tasker profile is a good idea. I have my phone set to ten minute screen timeout in the phones display settings. Also, in Dev settings you can choose to keep screen on while charging. That's very useful in the car. Regarding the ten minute timeout, just touch your screen every nine minutes and you'll be fine if you don't want to go the Tasker route.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Roman Itri Keckes

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
There is "hidden" way in game for this. But it works best for move between portals. Not when standing still close to it (with a small trick it may be achieved also).
When you are done on one portal, select the next one and set is as target. While you have any portal targeted, it will not dim the scrren, nor lock phone or disable GPS...Also, as you aproach the target, it will be notifying you on the distance and direction (like nort, east or south-west). Also as soon as you get in range, (if not bugged out) it will immedietely bring the portal menu up.
But be careful, as it will greately affect your batery life...

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
As a mid-level update, I'm level five now mainly due to lack of playing, but could probably go to seven in a few hours of playtime. The trick is to farm up tons of xmps and smoke portals with many links and fields. There's a guy in our g+ community who got some crazy amount of ap (over 20k) from capturing two portals. Building is much slower so use that as bonus ap.
The best thing to do is to leave the portal neutral so low level players can capture and link them.
The faster your faction levels as a whole, the faster you'll be able to have a high level farm.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums.

If I have been helpful to you, please go to the store, buy a bunch of beer, and send it to my house.

Devtodi

Feb 13, 2010
Visit site
In the car, bluetooth automatically takes over sound, is there some way to keep bluetooth connected AND get game sound via phone only?
And remember kiddies, Don't play and drive!!

Foreverinpanama

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
In the car, bluetooth automatically takes over sound, is there some way to keep bluetooth connected AND get game sound via phone only?
And remember kiddies, Don't play and drive!!

The phone connects via Bluetooth as media audio and call audio. At least on my S3. You should be able to un check media audio.

Edit under blue tooth settings forgot to add

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm really delighted so much good info is being passed around and helping newcomers. Thanks to everyone participating in this discussion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
im glad i found thus thread. Actually found it by accident.Nice to see a thread like this on AC :D

sent from my SIII

Koriania

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
This is by far one of the most helpful beginner posts I've seen. A lot of the other ones get me bogged down in a lot of numbers that I can sort of mostly make sense of, but don't give me a sense of what I can and can't do at level 1 until I level up.

Thank you for taking the time to write it out!

Last edited:

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Best AP early is from linking. Mid to late game you need to find a portal with lots of spokes and fields. It's not uncommon, if you've found a suitable candidate portal, to get over 20,000ap from destroying one portal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

Buddy1969

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
/push

Good post @Uribam. Problem is, when you are Lvl 1 and all the Portals are owned by Lvl 6 to 8, you will never be able to capture one. Therefore you will never be able to gain proper experience points. There are not so many portals here, and most of the portals in my area are owned by my faction. I could hack them,which gives me items, but no experience. Attacking the few portals of the other factions does 1% damage if anything at all. So I would have to run around my city for months to gain enough XP-Busters to do any kind of significant damage ...
This is not so funny, as a game. I do have a life and can't run around my city for hours a time ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bawan maviya