Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7 Nightly #125

Default Confused as to how portals/locations populate the map.

I just started playing and am confused on how the game world is generated. Portals appear on what is basically a Google map, correct? Why are there only a few portals currently downtown where I am? How are more portals added? Are they based on locations already present in Google maps? Or does taking a picture with your camera and submitting it via share>selecting Ingress accomplish this? If this is how new portals are added, does this mean every single portal that currently exists and will exist was/will be added in this fashion?

ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Confused as to how portals/locations populate the map.

Quote Originally Posted by Cretz View Post
    I just started playing and am confused on how the game world is generated. Portals appear on what is basically a Google map, correct? Why are there only a few portals currently downtown where I am? How are more portals added? Are they based on locations already present in Google maps? Or does taking a picture with your camera and submitting it via share>selecting Ingress accomplish this? If this is how new portals are added, does this mean every single portal that currently exists and will exist was/will be added in this fashion?
    - Portals appear on what is basically a map view, yes.
    - The portals Ingress started out with are significant landmarks and civil buildings like fire departments, post offices, etc. You share a geotagged photo (GPS/Location ON) to "NIS Super Ops" on your phone to submit a new portal for consideration, it supposedly takes about a month or two to publish a new portal between the approval and publishing process.

Global Posts
    3 Global Posts

Default Re: Confused as to how portals/locations populate the map.

Check out www.ingress.com/intel
    Link portals, making triangles makes fields of MU.
    Thanked by: