Ingress in landscape mode

Jaroslav Karlik

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Just wanted to ask if Ingress is supporting landscape mode or not and its just not working on my Samsung S3? I would like to put my phone into car holder and have Ingress running while im driving but because Ingress is still in portrait mode its useless in car ...

any comments to this?

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I do not believe landscape is supported. I've used it for a few weeks and cannot find a way to get the game into that orientation. Google has been sort of against people playing while driving.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

brendilon

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Not only does it not work in landscape mode, the App is all but useless when you're moving at faster than a walk for many features. You cannot charge portals while moving and often cannot even get information on a portal while moving.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Not only does it not work in landscape mode, the App is all but useless when you're moving at faster than a walk for many features. You cannot charge portals while moving and often cannot even get information on a portal while moving.

Yes, the asp is designed to allow for only a few very simple functions to work when driving, such as hacking. I don't see the problem, since very few functions are possible when not at the portal walking.

About the only thing I wish they'd fix is the compass on the scanner. Having to constantly manually rotate is a pain.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Yes, the asp is designed to allow for only a few very simple functions to work when driving, such as hacking. I don't see the problem, since very few functions are possible when not at the portal walking.

About the only thing I wish they'd fix is the compass on the scanner. Having to constantly manually rotate is a pain.

You are able to tap the compass in order to have the map auto rotate. On my Galaxy Nexus it will sometimes take several taps to activate the function.

gakio12

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
Just because I'd rather use landscape mode, doesn't mean I only want landscape so I can play and drive... I'd much rather use my Nexus 7 in landscape mode.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
You are able to tap the compass in order to have the map auto rotate. On my Galaxy Nexus it will sometimes take several taps to activate the function.

Yes, and the compass always shows me sliding sideways, spinning in circles, and otherwise doing things unconnected with my actual physical motion. It's the only app on my phone that has the slightest problem with the compass.

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Yes, and the compass always shows me sliding sideways, spinning in circles, and otherwise doing things unconnected with my actual physical motion. It's the only app on my phone that has the slightest problem with the compass.

Yeah, mine is always sideways as well. This has no bearing on the game though. To be expected in a beta. Otherwise it works fine for me.

BMIC50

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like somebody's lawyers did their homework on this one.
While I understand the desire to make this a walking game, its counter-intuitive for those who live in cities NOT like NYC or LA. I live in the biggest city land-wise in the contiguous 48 states, and some of the greatest collections of XM is in a busy road intersection! Am I going to risk walking back and forth a 6 lane divided highway to stay powered up or drive? My son and I have used this game to take cool field trips and learn about the city, occasionally on our bikes. Landscape could help me read the map better and interact with it.

Actually, I use mine in landscape position (obviously, the app doesnt tilt) in my vehicle. I usually use it as a map to get to various portals and collect XM to and fro. But I have had my son tap on the upcoming portal and wait for the 'Hack' button to highlight. Then we hack it as we do a driveby. Or I pull over if I want to do more (like linking or destroying). If you get the portal key, you can recharge from anywhere, in case you didnt know.

Great tip!

ChuckOM

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I completely agree ALL apps should support both portrait and landscape to some degree... i use my gs2 in landscape most of the time! thanks to cm10(.1) before anybody says its not supported

starleaf1

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site

I thought it's a bug. The portal hack/deploy/recharge interface keeps shutting down if I move too fast. I won't play while driving but, sometimes, I really need to do a drive-by hack/deployment/attack from a moving bus.

brendilon

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
While I agree that not running the app while driving is a very good idea, lots of people take public transit, especially in the portal dense urban areas. Being able to hack a portal while moving, but not recharge one, seems pretty darn silly. Netflix doesn't cripple their app when moving just because some people would be stupid enough to run it while driving. There is such a thing as personal responsibility and no jury would find in favor of an idiot who got in an accident because they were playing a game while driving.

BMIC50

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
While I agree that not running the app while driving is a very good idea, lots of people take public transit, especially in the portal dense urban areas. Being able to hack a portal while moving, but not recharge one, seems pretty darn silly. Netflix doesn't cripple their app when moving just because some people would be stupid enough to run it while driving. There is such a thing as personal responsibility and no jury would find in favor of an idiot who got in an accident because they were playing a game while driving.

The app is not crippled. I have been the passenger and hacked and recharged portals on the fly. Either your phone is somehow defective or you have not pre selected the portal.

GonzoBobH

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
It's 2016 already!

You know what is not a good thing? Try using a tablet/phone and not be able to rotate the screen. It's pretty ridiculous, and even more silly than having a 10.5 inch phone (which is awesome, btw).

Cheers.

RizeOrDie: The Resistance lives in HaNoi!

Bob on a Samsung Galaxy Tab S

PS I'll have to pay attention when it happens again, but I'm pretty sure an alert was pushed through from my LG V10 to my Huawei Watch this morning when my one field was taken down in an attack.