Playing on a N7 - wifi only

AlphaVictor87

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
So i finally got my invite! I started the training missions last night. Didn't get a chance to go through them all because it was absolutely freezing out last night.

Anyways here's my question. I know my N7 has gps, but i'm assuming that i need a data connection as well correct? will i be able to throw it in the car on my way to and from work and pick up some XM? or does even that need data as well.

I know i live out kind of in a small town but i would bet where i work are plenty of portals. Only problem is no accessable wifi at work. I'm just trying to get used to the game so when i get my S4 in June when its time for my phone upgrade (i hope the Galaxy S4 will be out by then) I will have done at least a little bit of something!

Has anyone else here tried playing some on their N7? wifi only model?

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
You need data. Once you leave your WiFi zone, all XM and portal information, as well as COMMS are provided through your carrier signal. You will not be able to capture portals, attack portals, hack portals without data.

AlphaVictor87

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Aw Boo =( well at least as far as the game goes i can finish up the tutorials at home and just again wait patiently until i get rid of this stupid iPhone =(

Xray Mike

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Can't you use the wifi personal hotspot on your iPhone to tether your N7 to the internet? That's what I'm doing and all of the newer models of iPhone do it.

AlphaVictor87

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
True I could do this. I'll be busy the next few days at work so I'll have to try it sometime next week. Just finished the training and I joined the Enlightened!! Its a pretty even split (portal wise) around where I live so I picked the enlightened because I saw world wide the resistance has higher MU. So I figured I could help out lol.

All I hope is that I get my S4 before this comes out of beta!! Just in case they do actually reset everything. I'm excited to start!!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums