Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Commuter Case vs. Defender Case

Hey guy. I just recently bought a HTC Inspire 4G, and I need a case, ASAP. I've heard a lot about Otterbox Cases, so I decided to get an Otterbox, but I don't know which one. I'm torn between the Commuter case and the Defender Case. I like the size of the Commuter Case, but I'm not quite sure how good the screen protector is. I really like how the Defender case has a screen protector include (so I don't have to apply a screen portector myself) But the case is quite bulky. Does anyone have any suggestions or feedback about either cases? That would be great. Thanx.

i have both, i almost prefer the defender for the protection. commutter screen protector is very good! i hate the built in one of the defender and took it out. i use my defender more than the commutter which is surprising to me. just feels good, and not as bulky as it seems really.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

How well is the protection on the Commuter? Also, I'm very curious about the comparison of the thickness of both the phone cases. How much more thicker is the Defender case than the Commuter? Would you happen to have any side by side photos? lol

there is quite a difference in the two. i will post pics in a few hours when i get home for lunch.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Alrite. Thanx alot for the help....

ok, here are the pics, not the best quality, but i had to use my captivate to take them as my wife has hidden the digital camera! LOL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Commuter Case vs. Defender Case-2011-05-11-20.06.43.jpg   Commuter Case vs. Defender Case-2011-05-11-20.07.13.jpg   Commuter Case vs. Defender Case-2011-05-11-20.07.28.jpg  
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Great! That really helped me out. Btw, what screen protector did you replace the DEFENDER case with?

i did have the one off the commutter, but i took it off. if i get another i'll put it back on though. i was trying out another that didnt work
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Alrite, cool. I just placed an order for the Otterbox Commuter case. Hearing you say how great the screen protector is, made me confident in buying it. It looks like a really, all-around great case.

Good comparison. cobra302, do you use a holster or you carry them in your pocket?

Thanks! I carry them both in my pocket. Unless I'm "dressed " up for something then i use the holster that came with the defender. The defender is actually not too bad in my front pocket. I wear a lot of cargo shorts so it goes in the side most of the time.

Sent from my Inspire 4G

Thanks for the pics. Ordered mine and got it in 4 days!!!!!!!!! (off ebay)

Thanks for pics))

I find the on button, at the top, is difficult to press with the commuter case on than without it on, imo. It's sorta slants with the curve making my finger have to reach more and press harder. -_-.. other wise it's a nice looking case with minimal protection.

I was looking on ebay for inspires with cracked screens and one guy said his fell from his lap to a tile floor with the commuter case on. u_u Makes me want to buy the defender.

Awesome! Thanks!

I have both the Otterbox Defender and the Commuter, not to mention a plethora of other cases, and there is just no comparison, the defender is great if you want the best possible protection and don't care about the bulkiness, The commuter is great also, if you don't want a gigantic phone, but want very good protection.

Right now I have an evo 4g and have a gigantic battery, so I had to buy a gigantic case(Seidio Innocase Rugged Extended). Now that case is HUGE.

Bought the defender and love it.

Quote Originally Posted by mattee28 View Post
    I find the on button, at the top, is difficult to press with the commuter case on than without it on, imo. It's sorta slants with the curve making my finger have to reach more and press harder. -_-.. other wise it's a nice looking case with minimal protection.

I was looking on ebay for inspires with cracked screens and one guy said his fell from his lap to a tile floor with the commuter case on. u_u Makes me want to buy the defender.
    I had problems with that button on the first case that I tried. (speck candyshell) So I took that one back and ordered the Seidio Active X case. It's VERY similar to the commuter, but looks a hell of a lot better imo. Plus you can get it in an assortment of colors. Best of all, the top button is even easier to push than with no case at all. They've apparently compensated for that with a little extra piece of rubber at that spot.
    I like being angry. It makes me happy.

Default Re: Commuter Case vs. Defender Case

Posting so I can see attachments.

I've got a otterbox defender case i'm looking to get rid for the inspire/ desire....its case only, no screen protector. Looking to get $20 for it, pm me if interested.

Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    ROM
    CoreDroid

I have had the OtterBox Commuter for my BB 9700, iPhone 3GS and now the HTC Inspire. Love it and I will not buy another case. I have yet to drop my Inspire but I threw my iPhone across the room (don't ask lol) and it was just fine. I have dropped my 9700 from about 10 feet while at work and the phone was not harmed.

What I like is that it adds a bit of bulk but not too much. It feels great in your hand and you don't feel like you are lugging around an extra 5 lbs.

Best case on the market, IMO.