Results 1 to 24 of 24
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By fernandezhjr
  • 1 Post By pazzo02
  • 1 Post By cyanogen-man
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    pazzo02's Avatar

    Posts
    1,031 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,029 Global Posts
    ROM
    Sabsa Prime ICS

    Default Rooting is easy, it's flashing a rom that's a pain in the ***!

    I rooted the other day with ace hack kit, and couldn't believe how easy it was. The key is to do it through Ubuntu live CD. The real fun begins when you flash a custom ROM. Since it wipes your phone you have to reinstall everything. I have like 150 apps! Even with restoring from Titanium backup, you have to install them all one by one, and then move them all back to the SD card. It took me like 2 hours, and almost all my battery. I wish there was an easier way to do it. If anyone knows, please pass it on.
  2. #2  

    Default

    If you buy the key for Titanium, making it pro, you can batch backup and restore. There are also apps in the market that will batch move your apps to the SD card.

    Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk
    manicalchemist likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    pazzo02's Avatar

    Posts
    1,031 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,029 Global Posts
    ROM
    Sabsa Prime ICS

    Default Re: Rooting is easy, it's flashing a rom that's a pain in the ***

    Quote Originally Posted by fernandezhjr View Post
    If you buy the key for Titanium, making it pro, you can batch backup and restore. There are also apps in the market that will batch move your apps to the SD card.

    Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk
    I did use batch. It works on the free version, too. Doing the batch restore, as it goes through the process, the screen pops up to install or cancel for each app, same as when you first install an app. Does it not work that way in the paid version?
  4. #4  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pazzo02 View Post
    I did use batch. It works on the free version, too. Doing the batch restore, as it goes through the process, the screen pops up to install or cancel for each app, same as when you first install an app. Does it not work that way in the paid version?
    No. It restores one after the other without any user interaction required. The free version still has batch mode, but it is crippled.

    Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  
    pazzo02's Avatar

    Posts
    1,031 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,029 Global Posts
    ROM
    Sabsa Prime ICS

    Default Re: Rooting is easy, it's flashing a rom that's a pain in the ***

    Thanks, I'll try it before the next ROM I flash. Is there any way you know of getting around the app2SD problem?
  6. #6  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pazzo02 View Post
    Thanks, I'll try it before the next ROM I flash. Is there any way you know of getting around the app2SD problem?
    Search the market. I don't use one, but I know there are apps in the market that do batch as well. It will pull up a list of the apps that are available to move to SD, you check off the ones you want to move, and it will move them as a batch without any interaction required.

    Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Rooting is easy, it's flashing a rom that's a pain in the ***

    I use App2SD Pro...it's on the Market and Amazon App Store
  8. #8  

    Default

    U don't have to wipe data with every rom you flash...

    Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk
  9. #9  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Youngunn View Post
    U don't have to wipe data with every rom you flash...

    Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk
    No you don't, but it is highly recommended. The only time I wouldn't wipe data is if I were upgrading to a newer version of the same rom. And even in some cases of doing such, the dev recommends wiping with some upgrades, especially if he is changing to a different base.

    Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk
  10. #10  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fernandezhjr View Post
    No you don't, but it is highly recommended. The only time I wouldn't wipe data is if I were upgrading to a newer version of the same rom. And even in some cases of doing such, the dev recommends wiping with some upgrades, especially if he is changing to a different base.

    Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk
    True.

    Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk
  11. #11  
    racer2348's Avatar

    Posts
    6 Posts
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts

    Default Re: Rooting is easy, it's flashing a rom that's a pain in the ***

    Newbie question.....rooted the same way he did the other day as well. Do I have to flash a new radio everytime I flash a Rom, or can I keep the stock radio I have? Planning to flash coredroid later is that a Rom that's highly recommended?
  12. #12  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by racer2348 View Post
    Newbie question.....rooted the same way he did the other day as well. Do I have to flash a new radio everytime I flash a Rom, or can I keep the stock radio I have? Planning to flash coredroid later is that a Rom that's highly recommended?
    Coredroid is solid. No you don't have to flash radios everytime. I still use the ota froyo radio cuz it's always worked the best. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

    Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  
    pazzo02's Avatar

    Posts
    1,031 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,029 Global Posts
    ROM
    Sabsa Prime ICS

    Default Re: Rooting is easy, it's flashing a rom that's a pain in the ***

    Quote Originally Posted by fernandezhjr View Post
    Search the market. I don't use one, but I know there are apps in the market that do batch as well. It will pull up a list of the apps that are available to move to SD, you check off the ones you want to move, and it will move them as a batch without any interaction required.

    Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk
    App2SD does do that. I am using the pro version. The big problem is that I have more apps than will fit on internal storage, so they can't all be reinstalled without interrupting it occasionally to move apps to the SD card. I guess until someone builds a ROM that automatically installs apps directly to the SD card, there's no other way.

    Or, if the App2SDPro devs are listening, put a setting in to automatically move apps to SD when they can be. It automatically notifies me every time, so taking the next step to move them automatically should be doable.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  
    pazzo02's Avatar

    Posts
    1,031 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,029 Global Posts
    ROM
    Sabsa Prime ICS

    Default Re: Rooting is easy, it's flashing a rom that's a pain in the ***

    Quote Originally Posted by racer2348 View Post
    Newbie question.....rooted the same way he did the other day as well. Do I have to flash a new radio everytime I flash a Rom, or can I keep the stock radio I have? Planning to flash coredroid later is that a Rom that's highly recommended?
    As Youngunn says, if it's working without flashing a radio, why mess with it? If a dev recommends you flash a specific radio to get the full benefits of the ROM, than it's up to you. Just be sure you know what you're doing.
  15. #15  
    frmorrison's Avatar

    Posts
    260 Posts
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSPx

    Default Re: Rooting is easy, it's flashing a rom that's a pain in the ***

    Quote Originally Posted by pazzo02 View Post
    Or, if the App2SDPro devs are listening, put a setting in to automatically move apps to SD when they can be. It automatically notifies me every time, so taking the next step to move them automatically should be doable.
    Newer phones have a decent amount of internal memory, so in the future the app may not be necessary. Granted, lots of people still have time before the 2 year contract is up, so it is a good app for now.

    Also, I have a few apps that stop working if I move them to SD, so I have to ignore some of the APP2SD requests. So always moving the app to SD is not the best idea.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  
    pazzo02's Avatar

    Posts
    1,031 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,029 Global Posts
    ROM
    Sabsa Prime ICS

    Default Re: Rooting is easy, it's flashing a rom that's a pain in the ***

    Okay, let me rephrase that slightly. Give me to option to automatically move apps. And yes, 1 GB of internal memory is generous, but Amazon's free app of the day is even more generous. I have over 5 GB of apps on my SD card
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Rooting is easy, it's flashing a rom that's a pain in the ***

    Which version ubuntu did you use the one in the manual or the newer one? Does it honestly matter which one you use?
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  
    pazzo02's Avatar

    Posts
    1,031 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,029 Global Posts
    ROM
    Sabsa Prime ICS

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thelewisfamily02 View Post
    Which version ubuntu did you use the one in the manual or the newer one? Does it honestly matter which one you use?
    Google "ubuntu live cd". That's what I used. The version number doesn't matter.
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Rooting is easy, it's flashing a rom that's a pain in the ***

    Quote Originally Posted by pazzo02 View Post
    Google "ubuntu live cd". That's what I used. The version number doesn't matter.
    Using the Ubuntu live CD do you have to enter the pa$$ k3y or is that automaticly done ?
    or is it pretty obvious during the process, I plan on trying it this weekend, am still reading and researching
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  
    pazzo02's Avatar

    Posts
    1,031 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,029 Global Posts
    ROM
    Sabsa Prime ICS

    Default Re: Rooting is easy, it's flashing a rom that's a pain in the ***

    Unless attn1 changed it (it's been months since I rooted) you will still need the passkey when rooting through Ubuntu. It's his way of making sure people read the effin manual, since he went to the trouble of writing it. When you spend enough time in the forums, you see how many peole have obviously not read it through.
    Thanked by:
    cyanogen-man likes this.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Rooting is easy, it's flashing a rom that's a pain in the ***

    Cool, Thanks

    Yea I have noticed how many don't read, and looks like some do read and don't get it either.....
  22. #22  
    cyanogen-man's Avatar

    Posts
    1,048 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,049 Global Posts
    ROM
    ice cold sandwich aokp

    Default Re: Rooting is easy, it's flashing a rom that's a pain in the ***

    I got lucky as soon as I put my gmail in the market it started do all my apps took 10 minits but it backed up my phone and Google contactsbsoon as I hit sync all my contacts appeared it don't hurt to sync it every once and a while to back everything up I'm currientally on cm7 with an inspire and I love it also check out ron tool box some really really nifty stuff in there and partition your SD if possible and yes all backed up items in titanium provwill do the same so go buy it its what 3 dollars so worth it and yes before you flash a Roman make sure you BACK UP THE CURRENT ROM AND WIPE THE DALVIC AND CACHE OR YOUR GONNA BOOT LOOP AND ALL KINDS OF NASTY CRAP
    manicalchemist likes this.
  23. #23  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cyanogen-man View Post
    I got lucky as soon as I put my gmail in the market it started do all my apps took 10 minits but it backed up my phone and Google contactsbsoon as I hit sync all my contacts appeared it don't hurt to sync it every once and a while to back everything up I'm currientally on cm7 with an inspire and I love it also check out ron tool box some really really nifty stuff in there and partition your SD if possible and yes all backed up items in titanium provwill do the same so go buy it its what 3 dollars so worth it and yes before you flash a Roman make sure you BACK UP THE CURRENT ROM AND WIPE THE DALVIC AND CACHE OR YOUR GONNA BOOT LOOP AND ALL KINDS OF NASTY CRAP
  24. #24  
    cyanogen-man's Avatar

    Posts
    1,048 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,049 Global Posts
    ROM
    ice cold sandwich aokp

    Default Re: Rooting is easy, it's flashing a rom that's a pain in the ***

    Quote Originally Posted by pazzo02 View Post
    Unless attn1 changed it (it's been months since I rooted) you will still need the passkey when rooting through Ubuntu. It's his way of making sure people read the effin manual, since he went to the trouble of writing it. When you spend enough time in the forums, you see how many peole have obviously not read it through.
    Yes damn tha k you someone who has read and fallowed and most importantally comprehended the instru tions!!!! Its simple as hell

Posting Permissions

B