root beginner help

CraigA5966

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I knew a lot about jailbreaking iPhones but recently ive made a jump to android and so far I'm loving it. I have only only rooted a backflip with a one click method so it was super easy, but now I have the iinspire and ringing it hard even begin. Can anyone help me? Pleaseee.

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
Start Here

If you have any questions after reading some of these threads, STOP and read them again. Don't be afraid to ask, but READ the ENTIRE thread first, because someone may have already asked...

zayragiselle

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Start Here

If you have any questions after reading some of these threads, STOP and read them again. Don't be afraid to ask, but READ the ENTIRE thread first, because someone may have already asked...

the page is not working :(

i also changed from a jailbroken iphone to the inspire and i need to root this and i need the information to do it...is there anywhere else to look for these answers?

terakilobyte

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Head on over to the forums at xda-developer. There you can find threads specific to the Inspire. There is a working root. Follow the instructions, join the IRC channel, and you'll be fine.

Rooted mine yesterday, used the telus kernel for better sound quality, and googled "HTC Inspire ATT APN settings" to get my APN setting back to what they should be.

mrro82

Mr. Ro.
Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Is there an easier step by step list of what I'm supposed to do to root this? I can't find it on the xda site. I may not be looking in the right place on there but from what I've read about gold cards and mm0 mm2 stuff my head is spinning. Is it really this difficult to root?

Yourdogsdead

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Is there an easier step by step list of what I'm supposed to do to root this? I can't find it on the xda site. I may not be looking in the right place on there but from what I've read about gold cards and mm0 mm2 stuff my head is spinning. Is it really this difficult to root?

Here is the readme from the tool I used to root my friend's phone

MAKE A GOLDCARD
Format the microSD card to FAT32 format.

Put the microSD card in your device and boot it.

Ensure you have unzipped the SDK, then open a command prompt to the extract location. Change to the 'tools directory.

Enter

tools/win/adb shell cat /sys/class/mmc_host/mmc2/mmc2:*/cid

You should get a very long number, cut and paste it into this page, to reverse it.

Then visit this page, enter your reversed number and create your goldcard image, which will be e-mailed to you.

Open the HxD hex editor in tools/win/HxD . If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, you must run the application as administrator.

Go to the 'Extra' menu and select 'Open Disk'. Under physical disk, select Removable Disk (your microSD card), uncheck 'Open as Readonly' and click OK. Note that you should select physical disk NOT the logical disk. This is important!

Go to the 'Extra' menu again and select 'Open Disk Image'. Open the goldcard image that you received by email.

You should now have two tabs - one is your removable disk, the other is your goldcard image. Press OK when prompted for 'Sector Size' (selecting 512 (Hard disks/Floppy disks)) and click OK.

Click on the goldcard image tab. Go to the 'Edit' menu, choose 'Select All' then select the 'Edit' menu again and select 'Copy'.

Click on the 'Removable Disk' tab. Highlight offset (line) 00000000 to offset (line) 00000170 (including the 00000170 line), then click on the 'Edit' menu and select 'Paste Write'.

Click on the 'File' menu and select 'Save', accepting the warning.

You now have a goldcard!

2. DOWNGRADE the ROM:

Windows:
Make sure the phone is running and adb debugging is enabled and in charge-only mode (USB not mounted on the PC)
Open a command prompt as administrator and navigate to the location of this package
hackerize-ace setup-downgrade
At this point you should have verified temp root. If everything looks okay, proceed.
hackerize-ace install-downgrade
Once the FASTBOOT comes up, press power once to start HBOOT
Follow the prompts on the phone to downgrade.
Once the upgrade is complete:
Start the phone again and check that adb debugging is enabled.
run the following:
hackerize-ace clean
Do not close the terminal window ? you will need it later.
3. TEMPROOT, RADIO S-OFF, PERMROOT
Once the phone has been successfully downgraded, proceed.
hackerize-ace rage
Once this completes, Open terminal ON THE PHONE.
In phone terminal, type:
/data/local/tmp/rage
Wait for the message: "Forked #### childs."

Menu > Reset Term - Terminal Emulator will exit.

Launch Terminal Emulator again in the phone, it Force Closes. Launch a another time, and you'll have a temp root shell.

Again in the phone term emulator:

cd /data/local
./gfree -f
sync
/data/local/tmp/root
sync

Congratulations! You now have radio S-OFF, you are rooted, and your phone is carrier-unlocked (sim-free)

4. INSTALL CUSTOM RECOVERY
Install ROM Manager from MARKET
Install Clockworkmod Recovery with ROM Manager
55. RESTORE THE SHIPPING RADIO FIRMWARE
(Radio_12.39.60.19_26.06.04.06_M-ace-att.zip)
Make sure USB debuggery is on
hackerize-ace setup-radio
hackerize-ace flash-radio
This will restart the phone is fastboot mode. Push power to start the flash process.
Reboot
hackerize-ace clean

Hereis a link to the thread on XDA

Good Luck

mrro82

Mr. Ro.
Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
I downloaded everything and started watching and following along the youtube videos. Got my goldcard emailed to me and winzip can't open it. This is the message I get: Error: WINZIP only supports IMG files that are in the ISO format. I have no idea how to get this file opened. I tried 7zip and it didn't work either. No rooting for me it seems.

Yourdogsdead

May 15, 2010
Visit site
As far as I know, you don't need to open the goldcard once you get it. You need to need to edit something on your phone with a hex editor and import the goldcard into it.

mrro82

Mr. Ro.
Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
I got the gold card to work. I went step by step in the youtube video procedure. All went fine until the very last command line to get root. It says it wasn't found so now I'm stuck at that point.

mrro82

Mr. Ro.
Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Someone on the xda site posted a download link for the RUU for the stock ROM. I put my phone back the way it was before I started messing with it. Hopefully a one click solution will be available in the future. Thanks for the replies.

Andymasters

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
As far as I know, you don't need to open the goldcard once you get it. You need to need to edit something on your phone with a hex editor and import the goldcard into it.

You just go into the hxd program and open disk image. It works like a charm Google unleash inspire 4g youtube and you will find two great videos showing you how to make a gold card, root, fix sound, and flash any rom. I recommend Attn1's rooted stock. Best I've found so far.

mrro82

Mr. Ro.
Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
You just go into the hxd program and open disk image. It works like a charm Google unleash inspire 4g youtube and you will find two great videos showing you how to make a gold card, root, fix sound, and flash any rom. I recommend Attn1's rooted stock. Best I've found so far.

That's how I was doing it. Attn's hack kit and the youtube videos. I never got it to root completely. I'd get to the last command line that has to be entered in the terminal emulator and it would always say not found. Like it wasn't there which was odd because everything else worked up to that point.

mrro82

Mr. Ro.
Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
As far as I know I still do. I got that to work. When I went back to the original Rom I was told sim lock will still be off.