pros and cons of rooting

displacedtexan

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
That depends on what you do with it after rooting.

I like that there are ROMs that have way better battery life
I can get rid of bloatware
I like CM7 and the options is has
Some like it for free tethering

Rooting doesn't unlock it.

Only real downside IMO is voiding your warranty. I have a tendency to void warranties, so it's a non issue to me.

mrro82

Mr. Ro.
Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Check this thread out for some good ROMs. They are in the development section: HTC Inspire 4G - xda-developers

My main benefit of rooting was to get rid of the bloatware, install new ROM's and basically have my phone out of the clutches of the Death Star. I can run whatever I want on it including the Amazon App store which I've already got a bunch of free apps from. I also installed Swype Beta which was a breeze to do.

Reactions: UltraDroid

KCMike

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I just rooted my Inspire HD today and wouldn't mind adding CM7. Dumb question I guess but it CM7 considered a ROM?

UltraDroid

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Check this thread out for some good ROMs. They are in the development section: HTC Inspire 4G - xda-developers

My main benefit of rooting was to get rid of the bloatware, install new ROM's and basically have my phone out of the clutches of the Death Star. I can run whatever I want on it including the Amazon App store which I've already got a bunch of free apps from. I also installed Swype Beta which was a breeze to do.

Another rooting benefit is the ability to do something about the *awful* low volume level of the ringer. Before rooting, I had several calls roll into voice-mail, because I was unaware that the phone was ringing - and the phone was in my pocket at the time. Since rooting, I've found several roms which address the volume level (that helped) and an amazing apk over on the XDA Forum that absolutely SOLVED the volume level problem.

4/29@8:03 PM Here's the link for that app which increases volume on the Inspire - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1047241 - and it works quite well. Read the thread before using.

Rooting has far more benefits than downsides.

-Mike

Last edited:

KarlJ

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Heed the others warnings! This is one of the very things employers are throwing people out on the ears for: tampering with company equipment. You may not see it that way, but more and more employers do nowadays.

lmavros

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
That depends on what you do with it after rooting.

Only real downside IMO is voiding your warranty. I have a tendency to void warranties, so it's a non issue to me.

I got this from the samsung website on warrantys and what is not covered.
(h) defects or damage caused by cellular signal reception or transmission, or viruses or other software problems introduced into the Product;

It seems that rooting is OK but what you install later may void the warranty.

This is just what I could find that seemed to be somewhat relative to rooting.

Kot_Bigemot

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys.
I just got my new Inspire 4G from AT&T and been reading a lot about rooting it. Still not sure if i want to do it. It has benefits but, it also has some negative impact. You know what they say - "You play with the bull, you get the horns".
In any case, i have one question. If i root the phone, will it unable me to to tether without paying extra $20 to AT&T? I was shocked when they told me that my data plan is not enough and in order to use phone as a modem, i need to pay $20/month more. Ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!
So, can someone answer this question for me? I'd greatly appreciate the help. As you can see, i am new to this Android world but, i am a fast learner.
Thanks all for your help.