Best ROM for Battery life-Stability

AustinAndroid

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Ok...so we can all admit that we want more battery life for the Inspire (well, for every smart phone for that matter), RIGHT? I am such a geek I am ordering mine in 2 days but already preparing for it. I have looked up extended batteries (so far none that I am thrilled with), which settings to tweak, and now looking for ROMs that really just strip down and streamline battery, cpu, memory use, etc

So... has anyone conducted ANY tests with their Inspire with ATT's "locked & bloated" ROM vs any of the other mainstream ROMs out there?

I am not looking for a ton of bells and whistles (in fact, i am a firm believer in the more variables you add, the more malfunctions you ultimately have). So... I am looking for a ROM with the following:

1. Removes bloatware
2. utlizes memory efficiently
3. keeps only core processes running until called upon by the user
4. allows installation of third party apps
5. allows sync with microsoft exchange
6, extends battery life
7. extends battery life
8. extends battery life.

Anyway, let the discussion begin. Apologies if this thread already exists but I didn't see one dedicated for the Inspire.

AustinAndroid

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Also, I just read in a Droid Incredible (Dinc) thread that the Kernel matters more than the ROM for battery life. Can any Inspire people confirm that?

Skyraider vanilla 3.0 with kings ASOP #1 kernel AMAZING battery life and doesn't take long to charge. I've been using skyraider since it came out I stand by it 100%

AustinAndroid

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
ok....I will keep on replying until an expert in these things sets me straight. If anyone else is reading, hope it helps.

1. The Kernel seems to matter more than ROM (I am still assuming here)
2. At least from Evo forums it looks like Netarchy is the most stable. (I would LOVE to find out if this is true with Inspire!)
3. I found a great benchmark test that from I can gather has Netarchy 4.2.1 HAVS Aggressive as great Kernel with great frame resolution and excellent battery usage. This seems to confirm what others have been saying: Composite HTC/AOSP

mrro82

Mr. Ro.
Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
From what I've seen so far with all the ROM's I've flashed, vanilla ones tend to last a bit longer as they don't have the sense things running. That's just what I've noticed so others will more than likely have other results. Many factors go into battery life.

Also, the kernel is where the power conservation is. The CPU at stock is set to run at 1024 period. Regardless if it's being used or not. With a custom kernel you can tweak that to ramp down when the screen is off and also OC (over clock) it if you want. Every kernel is different and has stipulations that have to be met to use it. Using them in a way not origianlly intended could cause the phone to lock up and result in a battery pull. Just about every ROM has an optional kernel to flash with them. Have fun.:)

Reactions: berdinkerdickle

winsettr

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
You will find that most custom ROMs include tweaked kernels, but be advised that certain kernels work with certain ROMs, they are not all interchangeable.

In addition to using a kernel that supports underclocking, (if you are willing to play around and figure out what settings work best for you) undervolting will significantly increase your battery life. Different settings work better/worse for different devices (even same models) due to the quality of the silicon (everyone who modifies voltages and CPU speeds should read this: it explains everything you ever wanted to know about WHY your results will vary).

For example, I am running CM7 with one of LordMod's kernels and undervolted and I easily get more than 24 hours per charge with 1-2 hours of display on and 1-2 hours phone calls. More frequent/rigorous use will obviously consume more battery, and everyone's "typical" use will vary.

mdunn1066

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I have tried a good majority of the custom roms available both sense and non sense. Using the correct radio each dev specified for the rom, I have gotten the best out of CM 7.0.x and Android Revolution 5.0.x. Using Inspired Ace right now because revolutions rom was giving me force closes on the phone app. Make sure you use the correct radio for the rom you have and you're golden

ATT.Fan1982

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I have tried a good majority of the custom roms available both sense and non sense. Using the correct radio each dev specified for the rom, I have gotten the best out of CM 7.0.x and Android Revolution 5.0.x. Using Inspired Ace right now because revolutions rom was giving me force closes on the phone app. Make sure you use the correct radio for the rom you have and you're golden

I'm a newbie that recently rooted and flashed the Inspired Ace rom on my device. I like the stability of the rom and other subtle improvements over the stock but what can I do with this rom as far as themes and other tweaks?

mrro82

Mr. Ro.
Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm a newbie that recently rooted and flashed the Inspired Ace rom on my device. I like the stability of the rom and other subtle improvements over the stock but what can I do with this rom as far as themes and other tweaks?

You really need to ask that in the thread where you got the ROM.

Sent from the International Space Station with my Inspire.

mdunn1066

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site

Im not sure about theming, i use it because its stable stockish gingerbread with sense, improved speaker volume, sideloading, etc.

Four-Fifty-X

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Ok...so we can all admit that we want more battery life for the Inspire (well, for every smart phone for that matter), RIGHT? I am such a geek I am ordering mine in 2 days but already preparing for it. I have looked up extended batteries (so far none that I am thrilled with), which settings to tweak, and now looking for ROMs that really just strip down and streamline battery, cpu, memory use, etc

So... has anyone conducted ANY tests with their Inspire with ATT's "locked & bloated" ROM vs any of the other mainstream ROMs out there?

I am not looking for a ton of bells and whistles (in fact, i am a firm believer in the more variables you add, the more malfunctions you ultimately have). So... I am looking for a ROM with the following:

1. Removes bloatware
2. utlizes memory efficiently
3. keeps only core processes running until called upon by the user
4. allows installation of third party apps
5. allows sync with microsoft exchange
6, extends battery life
7. extends battery life
8. extends battery life.

Anyway, let the discussion begin. Apologies if this thread already exists but I didn't see one dedicated for the Inspire.

See my post here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1081167

Using stock rooted with side loadind and sense removed is a very stable rom with improved battery life.

If you're looking for even better battery life, look at something like leedroid. It is also gingerbread, so it has lot's of minor differences from froyo, but it's not stock, so you'll find a bug or two.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conrad Edmund