Traveling to Belgium and Italy, need cell service

gvndeb60

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I am traveling to Belgium for 5 days and then Italy for 12 in May. I am wondering if anyone has traveled there recently and used any prepay cell service......I am on AT&T in the US and their roaming fees are obviously crazy high. I would need it for 2 cell phones, only a few minutes for a few local(whatever country I am in) calls and maybe some data. I would use data to keep in touch with home so that is my biggest need. All I can find online is resellers that want $50-70 for the SIM. I am wondering if it as easy to pick up a SIM while there as it is in the US, any info would be helpful.
Thanks!!

jwhjxn

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
Me too. I am headed to southern Italy for 2 weeks. I have a Nexus 4. Interested in using it there. My StraightTalk.com plan is U.S. only. Please let me know if you find a prepaid SIM solution and I will do likewise.

gvndeb60

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Will do....I see on sites like Vodaphone that you can get SIM cards to do prepaid so it should be no problem doing when there. I just would rather do it from home so when I get off of the plane I am good to go instead of wasting time there.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

gvndeb60

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Me too. I am headed to southern Italy for 2 weeks. I have a Nexus 4. Interested in using it there. My StraightTalk.com plan is U.S. only. Please let me know if you find a prepaid SIM solution and I will do likewise.

Ok just got back. Super easy to do prepaid in Italy. They will photocopy your passport and it will take 12ish hours to activate. There are stores in the airport if you have the time. I used the carrier "3" and they worked fine. I got 2 SIMS, one data only and was for 4GB with no weekly or daily cap, the other was for like 400 minutes, 400 SMS, and for 1GB but the data was capped at 250MB a week. Both only cost $15 Euro($18ish US). My biggest suggestion is to make sure you know about any weekly limits. Enjoy your trip.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

rlhammon

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I know this thread is rather old, but it's at least on topic to me.

I'm traveling to Italy in a few weeks, and I'm looking to find a global GSM phone that will work. Unfortunately I have a Galaxy Nexus on Verizon, so it's CDMA only. I believe I can pick up any unlocked quad band GSM phone on Ebay (etc.) and then pick up a pre-paid SIM once I'm in Italy. Is that correct?

I figure I could resell the phone when I get back and it should be a reasonable price to do for short time I'm over there. Just looking for confirmation, because once I'm there I won't be able to change much if I set things up wrong to start.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc