Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By anon8380037
  • 1 Post By belodion
  • 1 Post By Sizzers
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Unlimited Data

Here in the UK it's easy to get cheap sim-only and pay-as-you-go deals with the 3 network allowing unlimited data use. I use 3 myself. Am curious to know how things are in that respect in other parts of the world, especially the US.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    21,534 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: Unlimited Data

Quote Originally Posted by belodion View Post
    Here in the UK it's easy to get cheap sim-only and pay-as-you-go deals with the 3 network allowing unlimited data use. I use 3 myself. Am curious to know how things are in that respect in other parts of the world, especially the US.

Carriers that offer unlimited are Sprint and TMobile. Every one else is a tiered data plan. You go over, you pay either high fees, or they charge you for blocks of data.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

With 3 here I pay £15 a month for 300min, 3000 texts, unlimited data. To me that's good value. What's that, $25? How does that seem to you?

Global Posts
    21,534 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

With 3 here I pay £15 a month for 300min, 3000 texts, unlimited data. To me that's good value. What's that, $25? How does that seem to you?

Really good.

Signed, XenonRom, Nexus 5 and AC Forums App

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Carriers that offer unlimited are Sprint and TMobile. Every one else is a tiered data plan. You go over, you pay either high fees, or they charge you for blocks of data.
    Tmobile is the only one offering unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE. Sprint will throttle if you are in the top 5%.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Thanked by:

It is a good price. Does it include unlimited hotspot, and can you use it in tablets and wifi hotspot devices?

7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Phones only as far as I know, and no tethering allowed on pay-as-you-go. In fact their cheapest unlimited data deal is a sim-only contract, £12.90 a month, just over $20 I guess. They say that unlimited means unlimited...example: even if you used 10,000GB by using data for every second of every day of that month, they'd honour it. Whether they'd throttle I don't know. 3 customers don't pay extra for 4G when it becomes available...is rolling out over the country area by area.

Phones only as far as I know, and no tethering allowed on pay-as-you-go. In fact their cheapest unlimited data deal is a sim-only contract, £12.90 a month, just over $20 I guess. They say that unlimited means unlimited...example: even if you used 10,000GB by using data for every second of every day of that month, they'd honour it. Whether they'd throttle I don't know. 3 customers don't pay extra for 4G when it becomes available...is rolling out over the country area by area.

I wonder if they would keep unlimited data once their 4GLTE network is substantial. Verizon forced people to use unlimited data (there was no limited plan available) from 2008 to mid 2011,after which time new customers could not sign up for unlimited data, though existing customers like myself could keep it. Their 4GLTE network was launched in 2010 and I got my HTC Thunderbolt(Verizon's first 4GLTE smartphone) in April 2011 and at the time, their 4GLTE network was pretty substantive. Does any other UK carrier with a substantive 4GLTE network offer unlimited data?

Cost wise, I pay $30 before discount for unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE data , and another $30 for unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE hotspot. I can also put my sim into tablets, laptops, or hotspot for unlimited in any device compatible with Verizon and in which the sim fits.

AFAIK, Verizon Unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE has no limits. I have personally exceeded 5 terabytes in a cycle before.

Speeds are not throttled, I saw this near the end of my cycle.

I also pay for insurance and have to pay for line access ($10 per line) and account access ($40 per account). My account has no texting plan.

Global Posts
    21,534 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    Tmobile is the only one offering unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE. Sprint will throttle if you are in the top 5%.

I did forget about the throttling at the top 5%. Thanks for the correction.

Phone Timeline
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Special thanks to dpham00 for very informative reply.
    If I hadn't been able to use 3 I'd have chosen T-Mobile who also offer unlimited data deals for not much more than 3, but contract only. You also pay more if you want to use 4G. I believe that Orange, who have teamed up with T-Mobile to make EE, also offer unlimited but at a higher price and 4G-only. The others, Vodafone and O2, AFAIK don't offer unlimited. Vodafone, in response to criticism of them in that regard, said "500mb is enough". Obviously it is if you use less than that, and isn't if you use more....meaningless comment really.

Well, I went for Three today. They have new plans in Store since yesterday. They have increased their tethering / hotspot allowance to 4gb from 2gb on now all their 'All you Can Eat' sim plans. Their site says 1gb tethering bolt-ons are available for £5. It will activate tomorrow but I will wait up to 72 hours for porting.
    I am a little dubious about signal strength and speed in my home area on 4 or 3G, so I went for a 1 month rolling contract with 200 minutes @ £18. I will switch to a 12 month contract @ £15 if all is well. 600 minutes are £23 / £20.
    I have had a 3G data sim with Three for a 3G hotspot device. I will keep the 1 month contract going for a bit (10gb @ £15). I couldn't get a deal for a 4G device, they're hopeless at that.
    I went into a different store yesterday but the girl there was off putting.
    I was going to wait another 8 days, but I got sozzled by an extremely helpful and pretty girl in another branch. No hard selling, but so sweet and interested I couldn't say I would come back yet again!
    I know nothing. Caution: I can edit and delete for no reason.
    belodion likes this.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Since starting this thread I've read some offputting things about some of the US carriers. Perhaps they're exaggerated, perhaps they're true. What I can say about Three is that they don't stick a screwdriver in your phone to disable this and that, they don't add bloatware, they don't stick their logo on anything, they don't sell their phones locked to their own network, though they are set up ready for that network, they don't charge extra when 4G becomes available in your area, and they offer a good range of unlimited data tariffs on their PAYG and SIM-only plans, all inexpensive. Also, I personally have never had signal problems.
    (A brief disclaimer...I'm not connected with the company in any way, except as a very satisfied customer.)

anon8380037 likes this.

Global Posts
    421 Global Posts

They have their own version of throttling called "TrafficSense" sort of explained here http://support.three.co.uk/SRVS/CGI-...Case=obj(4046)

Its by no means a perfect network - which one is - but there are and can be problems with its streaming services, particularly during the evening. I'm not complaining TOO much for the £15 a month I pay but it does have its issues at times.

We'll see what LTE brings when it FINALLY arrives in my area which is supposed to be sometime this year - when I will then upgrade my handset and see what happens then.

Sent from my XT1032 using AC Forums mobile app
    Putting out fire with gasoline
    Thanked by:
    anon8380037 likes this.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Yes, the Traffic Sense thing....I'm lucky I've never noticed any effects so far as I'm aware, but am seldom a heavy user.

4G is scheduled for my area some time this year. I read somewhere, possibly in the forums, how a user experienced worse 4G signal after the signal upgrade than had been the case with 3G, though I don't remember which network. Just hoping that doesn't happen.

I didn't get notifications on this thread. I have been on Three for 2 months or whenever I said above.
    4G is not great in South London in that changing venues will bring it back to H+ or way down to 3G displayed probably 50% of the time.

4G is snappier initially, and there is less buffering on the odd occasion I watch tv streaming or a news video.
    I don't think Three offer real 4G / LTE. The LTE band they use is 800 I think which has it's limitations. LTE does not appear on the notification screen, just 4G.

It would seem EE does offer the better data strength and call quality.
    I have bought a £15 sim from EE direct / Amazon which gives 10gb and £15 of call and text bundle credit. I have not been able to use it fully yet, after a week, as the 10gb won't activate after the initial 50mb start up allowance. Phone signal bars are 5 compared to 1 - 2 always on Three, and EE 4G seems strong.
    Some areas in London have EE "Double rate" areas, basically LTE-A as it is known.
    I have only tried the EE sim in my new back up Moto G 4g phone. I want to try it in my Note 3 if I can ever get or contact EE again to get it to work. (hysterically frustr2 story of varying information, incompetence and system failure by EE and the sim suppliers)

I wanted the unlimited data on Three and the new 4gb tethering allowance on new plans recently. EE had a max of 4gb for sim only plans.
    This 10gb over 90 days seems to allow tethering in their rules now and is a good deal, but you can only buy 2 sims in a 90 day period and have to port each time.
    Enough said for now.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro
    I know nothing. Caution: I can edit and delete for no reason.