How did the Optimus 2x perform so well in benchmarking scores?
As reported in the blog the Optimus 2X benchmarking scores were off the charts. That's awesome. What I don't understand, is that I keep hearing that the dual cores in all these upcoming phones cannot take advantage of the second core, until there's an OS release that supports it. Can anyone confirm whether this is true or not, and if it is how the scores can be so high?
- 01-29-2011, 01:49 PM #2
My guess is that even though Android can't utilize two cores yet, both are still Cortex A9 processors which allow out of order processing unlike the Cortex A8 which are currently on the market which use in order processing. That may account for some of the performance boosts.
- 01-30-2011, 02:42 AM #3
- 01-30-2011, 12:25 PM #5
- 492 Posts
- Rooted AOSP JB on all
Linpack scores were probably due to the better architecure as above. Another thing that probably helped is, despite the fact that the OS cannot take advantage on multithreading, the kernel can, to some extent. You don't have a core sitting completely idle I can almost guarantee. That means if you're running linpack in a single core chip, it might only be using 80% of the core, and the other 20% are going to other system tasks. On a dual core chip, it might be using 90-100% of the core, as the other core shares or completely inherits the system tasks.
As for the robot benchmark (name escapes me), that's probably limited by the GPU, as it was designed to be. If we take the score that the LG got, it was 29% more frames than my Galaxy S. The Tegra 2 GPU was rumored to be ~30% faster in benchmarks like that. Where the T2 really shines is the extra features of the GPU.
Quadrant was probably a mix of the above.
- 01-30-2011, 01:33 PM #6
- 01-30-2011, 02:07 PM #7
Yeah they are using DDR2 but only reason they are able to pull it was due to higher bandwidth with multi thread processing, as CL is still high which is equal to DDR.
Now until we folks at XDA benchmark this I don't trust any of it, then again if you understand basic you will know benchmark does not emulate real world load. Example take NS atm has the highest score they are surpassing 4000+ yet they can't play decent video without lagging lol.
BTW Auzo where are you getting these info from? From the vendor? They can claim ULP is faster than GSX540/AMD Z460 but fact is its slightly faster and again they pulled this off in real world speed translation due to dual core. You will "not" notice it but GLBenchmark 2.0 seem to be decent in this case.
- 01-30-2011, 02:29 PM #8
I do agree the latency of the DDR2 Ram will be higher, but if you were bandwidth limited before the extra bandwidth can more than make up for it.
And in my first post here I linked an article from Anandtech which shows some 3D benchmarks of the Tegra2 vs Hummingbird based SoC with the SGX540. Scroll down to the "12/20/2010 - Updated Graphics Benchmarks" section of the 2nd page to see the results. But it shows a 30% advantage in GLBenchmark 2.0 pro for the Tegra2. The other two tests show an advantage for the Tegra2 but they are less than 30% and vary. I know that the Hummingbird is a single core processor, but these 3D benches aren't heavily utilizing the CPU so i figure the results shouldn't be skewed.
But you're right, I do make a lot of assumption. I wasn't trying to give a comprehensive reason as to why the scores were higher, more just some possible reasons.
- 01-30-2011, 02:37 PM #9
Simple answer...anything will take advantage of dual-core on some level. Look at when dual-core was first released for regular computers. They were faster than single-core and got even faster when windows became optimzed.
The same thing will happen on phones. They will be faster then when Android gets optimized (Honeycomb on phones) the spread will be even greater than it is now.
Also keep in mind that the dual-core snapdragon is expected to meet or exceed the performance of Tegra 2. But then nvidia will announce Tegra 3.Forum Rules & Guidelines -- CLICK HERE
I'm an NVIDIA Tegra Champ. Here's what that means. It means that from time to time I might receive products and/or services from NVIDIA to evaluate them and provide feedback to NVIDIA and you, our valuable members. What this does NOT mean is that my opinion will be biased. Any opinion that I express here and elsewhere are solely based on my personal preference and any relevant expertise that I may/may not have on the subject matter.
- 01-30-2011, 02:49 PM #10