1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Initial Impressions

OK all, I don't do reviews, but I can clue you in on my initial observations in comparison to my MyTouch 4G. Read on....

First off, I'm thinking my device is buggy. I left the phone on overnight to wake up to wi-fi being turned off. It seems to turn itself off after various periods of time. It happened again as I I was just doing something in the other room for a bit over an hour, and even though I was having push emails for work coming through, it was still shutting itself down.

I paired a bluetooth headset and paired the phone with my car yesterday. Today, I find that I have to repair both devices and they're not even saved under bluetooth devices. That's no fun.

With the MyTouch 4G, Wi-Fi hotpot is defaulted to shut off after 10 minutes, but you can change that to never shut off. I like this. On the G2X, the maximum time limit is 15 minutes. I don't want my connection shutting down if I'm reading an article or have to step away. Not worried about battery life since I have it connected via USB anyways. Just very inconvenient.

I've got all my programs loaded, and it feels snappy sometimes while moving from screen to screen or popping up the apps tray, but I'm not seeing a whole lot of difference from the MT4G. Also, I noticed in several hands on videos when they demonstrated how quick it is to move between screens and open programs, it looked like they were mis-touching the display and had to hit it again to initiate a touch or move of screen. I went through a lot of this in my day of usage. It's like the screen isn't really picking up on what you want your touch to accomplish. I have to slow down and repeat my process.

The DTS boost for music is AWESOME. Pumped the volume right up. The caveat is it will eat up more juice, but that's ok for shorter play periods.

Today, I'm going to focus on pictures and videos. I want to see if I get that jerkiness that I would sometimes get with my MT4G or if it's just smooth sailing thanks to the dual core.

If anyone else has any early impressions, I'd really like to know how others are faring.

Today, I'm going to play around with photos and videos
    Moto Droid 1->HTC Droid Incredible->Moto Droid X->HTC MyTouch 4G->T-Mo G2X(RETURNED)->HTC Sensation->Sony Xperia Play (The PlayStation Phone)

RE: With the MyTouch 4G, Wi-Fi hotpot is defaulted to shut off after 10 minutes, but you can change that to never shut off. I like this. On the G2X, the maximum time limit is 15 minutes. I don't want my connection shutting down if I'm reading an article or have to step away. Not worried about battery life since I have it connected via USB anyways. Just very inconvenient.

It will only shut off if there is no connection in use for that period of time.

RE: I've got all my programs loaded, and it feels snappy sometimes while moving from screen to screen or popping up the apps tray, but I'm not seeing a whole lot of difference from the MT4G. Also, I noticed in several hands on videos when they demonstrated how quick it is to move between screens and open programs, it looked like they were mis-touching the display and had to hit it again to initiate a touch or move of screen. I went through a lot of this in my day of usage. It's like the screen isn't really picking up on what you want your touch to accomplish. I have to slow down and repeat my process.

I saw the same thing. The screen sometimes does not recognize input. I found it very frustrating.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by gerasimatos View Post
    It will only shut off if there is no connection in use for that period of time.
    I understand that, but I'd like to have the option to make the choice like I do on the MyTouch.
    Moto Droid 1->HTC Droid Incredible->Moto Droid X->HTC MyTouch 4G->T-Mo G2X(RETURNED)->HTC Sensation->Sony Xperia Play (The PlayStation Phone)

Quote Originally Posted by jbjtkbw00 View Post
    I understand that, but I'd like to have the option to make the choice like I do on the MyTouch.

I agree. When using my phone for work, there may be a period of time I disconnect and its nice to know the hotspot stays active, especially when I am running it while the phone is plugged into the wall charging.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Yeah man. I gotta admit....that MT4G is a sweet little device. I'm wondering how much nicer it will be with 2.3? Even when the Sensation comes out, i'm keeping this phone and not selling it like I normally do. It's a great phone. Not gonna lie. I never disliked it. It just grew on me the longer I kept it. The LG was to be an additional phone and I've used it as my primary to put it through its paces. Just didn't cut it.

I couldn't make it happen with this phone either. I tried two different handsets and tried at least one factory reset on each one and just couldn't make them work. The problems I had:

1. Couldn't make the device recognize sound
    2. Couldn't quickly wake the phone
    3. Video cam didn't work
    4. Wouldn't power all the way down, would stay on "goodbye" screen
    5. Corrupted my SD card
    6. Icons disappeared from home screens when I tried to move them

I also didn't like the browser or the fact there was no music player on the lock screen. If anything, my experience with the G2x made me appreciate my MT4G even more.