Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    100 Global Posts

Default How to run on Wifi Only

Hi everyone, I've done a little searching around for this answer but couldn't find anything definitive. I am looking for a way to run the phone only on wifi while going to another country. I was able to do this easily on my Blackberry by unchecking the Mobile Network box under network connections and having wifi enabled. I was then able to make/receive calls, get email, browse, use apps, and text when using a wifi network (as if I was still in the US) and everything would be disabled when not in a wifi network.

Basically, I do not want the phone to roam and use up data when I'm not on wifi. What is the simplest way to achieve this on this phone? How can I confirm that I am running solely on wifi? I've only had this phone and been using Android for 6 days so not totally sure how it works. Thanks in advance!
    Android Addict

Global Posts
    1,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS / Stock

The easiest way would be to put the phone in airplane mode, then turn on the wifi. Hope that works for you.
    Thanked by 2:

Shouldn't you be able to do the same thing with your phone. Go to menu>settings>wireless and networks and then just enable/disable whichever wireless connections you choose. I'm also going to Europe in a couple of weeks so if that isn't how you do it I'd call your provider
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    100 Global Posts

Thanks, Smitty_82. I will test that out on my home wifi network later tonight.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    100 Global Posts

I tried the tip on turning on airplane mode and then turning on wifi. It lets me browse and use apps but no calls and no texts.

Any other suggestions?

ROM
    AOSPCMOD OV 6/1/11

Default easy

all you do is go to settings, wireless & networks then at the bottom push mobile networks and disable data. wow some of these other answers were not top notch.