Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Potential Android convert (from WebOS)

Hi, I'm currently using a Sprint Pre, the original, slow laggy one. I was hoping to get a Pre2, and then a Pre3, but the first never came to Sprint, and the second doesn't seem to be coming to Sprint, and you know what, I'm getting tired of using an OS that isn't very well supported. I love the notifications, I like the cards, I like the "just type" features, and I routinely look stuff up faster than my friends with other devices, even though my connection speed is slower. But WebOS 2 has problems syncing with google calendars more than 3 months out, there are bugs in the imap client, and it's not clear that any of that will ever be addressed as HP seems to have lost interest in phones.

So here I am, shopping for an Android device on Sprint. I mostly use my gadget for email, with some light web browsing and rare phone calls, so I am looking for something with a portrait keyboard. I deally a slider, which I've found really convenient, but perhaps that doesn't exist in the Sprint/Android world.

Any advice, experience, etc., would be appreciated.

Global Posts
    2,047 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Potential Android convert (from WebOS)

Have u looked into the xprt welcome to android central
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Yes, thanks. I gather it's a rebranded old Verizon model, and friends tell me it's outdated, but it might suit my needs well. I have to go tot he Sprint store and give it a spin.

Global Posts
    2,047 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Puzzlegal View Post
    Yes, thanks. I gather it's a rebranded old Verizon model, and friends tell me it's outdated, but it might suit my needs well. I have to go tot he Sprint store and give it a spin.
    Also look into the evos as they are the powerhouse of android and HTC makes a great phone.

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

+1 to Yodatom!

I JUST got off of my Sprint Palm Pre- also. I picked up the Evo 3D 7 days ago and I have not looked back. Android does take some getting use too. Also believe it or not the VKB on the Evo is great! Plus you can download others right off of the app market place!

With a 1.2GHz Dual-core CPU and 1Gig of RAM you have nothing to worry about! HTC responds great to OTA updates and issues with its software. As it has shown the first week the phone was released. I say pick one up! I mean you got 30 days to try it anyways. So if you do not like it then you can return it.

So just like you I waited....and waited....HP does not seem to be doing to much with WebOS. I mean look at the Touchpad? They release it and 30 days later say they have a better one coming? Oh and the REAL release is soon! Thats what they are saying now. SO they might finally be pushing ads for their products and FINALLY get devs on their side. Guess we will see. Little to late for me sadly. Android has been a good home for me. Jump right in to the Android world head first!

And welcome to the forums!

Welcome to the forums.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G
    Personal: Sprint Galaxy Nexus LTE, Nexus 7 16gb tablet

If i have helped you, please hit the Thanks or Like button below!
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by cgardner View Post
    +1 to Yodatom!

I JUST got off of my Sprint Palm Pre- also. I picked up the Evo 3D 7 days ago and I have not looked back. Android does take some getting use too. Also believe it or not the VKB on the Evo is great! Plus you can download others right off of the app market place!

With a 1.2GHz Dual-core CPU and 1Gig of RAM you have nothing to worry about! HTC responds great to OTA updates and issues with its software. As it has shown the first week the phone was released. I say pick one up! I mean you got 30 days to try it anyways. So if you do not like it then you can return it.

So just like you I waited....and waited....HP does not seem to be doing to much with WebOS. I mean look at the Touchpad? They release it and 30 days later say they have a better one coming? Oh and the REAL release is soon! Thats what they are saying now. SO they might finally be pushing ads for their products and FINALLY get devs on their side. Guess we will see. Little to late for me sadly. Android has been a good home for me. Jump right in to the Android world head first!

And welcome to the forums!
    Thanks, but what is "VKB"?

Global Posts
    2,047 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Thanks, but what is "VKD"?
    Do u mean xda they are a dev group that builds rom for android phones

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
    I'm a android know it all with too much time on my hands
    If I've helped you make sure to hit that thanks button
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

see edit to my post

Global Posts
    2,047 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

see edit to my post
    Virtual keyboard

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
    I'm a android know it all with too much time on my hands
    If I've helped you make sure to hit that thanks button

Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP 4.1.1

So ironically this is my first post here as well. I too am a Pre user. I think we all are too caught up with our physical keyboards. I went in to the Sprint store the other day to try out the Android wares (basically focusing on a keyboard device). I tried them all and just for fun tried some keyboardless varients. What happened next amazed me.

I could hands down type faster and more acurately on the on screen keyboards than any of the physical ones (portrait or landscape). Infact the xprt was the hardest for me to use. The Nexus S was by far my favorite however I am holding out for the Photon due to all of the signal issues I keep reading about on the Nexus S.

I love webOS a lot, but I'm really looking forward to getting an Android device.

- Phil -
    (BoraWare on PreCentral)
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Vkb = virtual keyboard.
    I am typing this on my EVO 3d, a former Pre user as well. Holding the pre now makes it feel like a child's toy. Android is amazing and is easy to pick up. the stock multiasking is decent and shouldn't slow you down. Email is great, and there are tons of clients if you don't like the stock one.

Until HP gets their act together and comes to sprint, I am using a phone from this decade and try to stay relevant with a leading platform.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Quote Originally Posted by philbw View Post
    So ironically this is my first post here as well. I too am a Pre user. I think we all are too caught up with our physical keyboards. I went in to the Sprint store the other day to try out the Android wares (basically focusing on a keyboard device). I tried them all and just for fun tried some keyboardless varients. What happened next amazed me.

I could hands down type faster and more acurately on the on screen keyboards than any of the physical ones (portrait or landscape). Infact the xprt was the hardest for me to use. The Nexus S was by far my favorite however I am holding out for the Photon due to all of the signal issues I keep reading about on the Nexus S.

I love webOS a lot, but I'm really looking forward to getting an Android device.

- Phil -
    (BoraWare on PreCentral)
    Thanks for your experience. I do not enjoy typing on my husband's ipod touch. But I will give the Nexus S a try. A lot of people seem to like it.

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

The nexus S is nice! Just stock Google and free tethering! I say give it a shot!

Welcome to the forums!