Meet the Moderators of Android Central

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
The Android Central Forums are administered and moderated by a dedicated group of volunteer Android enthusiasts. Android Central has the highest regard for individuals who volunteer their time to help make the forums an enjoyable place for each and every member. Please show your support and respect to the following individuals:

Forums Manager & Administrator:

Super Moderators:

Forum Moderators:

Many thanks to our retired moderators:
  • terpitude71
  • igotsanevo4g
  • Kevin Gossett
  • ksmithinny
  • avlfive
  • caliskimmer
  • namebrandon
  • Chris Kerrigan
  • Brett
  • Big D5
  • Jorge Olivera
  • tntdroid
  • mclarryjr

For definitions of each role check out this Wikipedia article. Bio's below.

- Cory Streater & the rest of the Android Central Team

Last edited by a moderator:

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Moderators of Android Central

My name is Cory. I was born and raised in Washington State and currently live in Seattle. I love outdoors activities, spending time with friends & family, and last but not least all things Android.

I hike and camp as often as possible during the spring & summer. A few years ago I spent a week hiking in West Glacier, Montana. It was one of the most amazing experiences of my life.

I’m a Sales Engineer for a software company based in Seattle. It’s the best company I’ve ever worked for and I love my job. I travel frequently across the Pacific Northwest and Western Canada. I’m always happy to head home, and think Seattle is one of the most beautiful cities in the country. I’ve also lived in San Francisco and would love to live there again someday.

I’ve been a member at Android Central since September 2009. Prior to my arrival, I was a hardcore Windows Mobile fan, and prior to that I was a Palm fanatic. My favorite thing about WM was the ability to hack & flash custom ROMs.

A friend talked me into trying the original Motorola Droid. I fell in love with Android immediately. I was impressed by the variety of devices, the strong and enthusiastic developer community, and the ability to customize Android’s user interface to fit my personal style and needs. Anyone who’s experienced Android can probably relate. I love Smartphone forums and was excited to find a strong community of Android experts and enthusiasts at Android Central. I quickly realized Android Central was my first choice for news, information, and community interaction.

I’ve owned every Verizon Android Smartphone since the original Droid. I’ve even owned a few Sprint and T-Mobile phones. I currently have and love the Verizon's version of the Galaxy Nexus. My top 5 Android apps are: WiFi Explorer, Enhanced Email, Dolphin Browser, and iSyncr.

I’m a loyal fan of Android Central & the forums. I also participate in the podcast at 6PM, Pacific time, on Thursday nights. I really hope everyone tunes in and listens. There's even a live chat room where you can also join in and participate. The podcast is very informative and we have a lot of fun!

Last but not least, I want to thank Kevin Michaluk, Phil Nickinson, and the AC community for allowing me to serve as a Forums Administrator. I have really enjoyed watching the forums continue to grow as Android has become the OS to beat.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
My name is Casey, and I?m from California. I?ve moved around quite a bit, but have always stayed around Los Angeles since this is where all my family and friends are. Plus you can't beat having surfing, snowboarding and canyons to carve up with a sport bike just a couple hours apart!

As much as I love California, I never turn down a chance to travel. Being so close to Las Vegas I tend to frequent it with friends. My favorite way to pay for my trip is to hit those craps tables, and surprisingly it works most of the time. The trick is not to be greedy ;)

After a few years in the world of business, I decided it just wasn?t for me so I went back to school. I?m currently a pre-medical student getting ready to take the MCAT. I?d love to go to medical school in California, but seeing as how we have some of the most competitive schools, if I get in anywhere I?ll be happy :D

When I?m not studying for school I?m studying Capoeira. It?s a Brazilian tradition that mixes martial arts, dancing, singing and acrobatics. I got tired of hitting the gym and running, so this is how I stay in shape and have fun at the same time.

My girlfriend bought me my first smartphone for my birthday. I?ve always been a techie but never got into the phone scene for some reason. It was a Blackberry Tour ? I loved that phone. I spent a lot of time on our sister site Crackberry and building/loading hybrid OS?s (ROMs).

After a while I realized how far behind the curve (no pun intended) my Tour was, and there was nothing exciting on the horizon coming from RIM, so I went Android. I got my Epic 4G on launch day and haven?t looked back.

I?m learning everything I can about modifying the Android OS. I flash my phone so much with ROMs and kernels it sees nothing but bright spots. I?d even like to get into ROM cooking or theming, but that will have to wait until a school break comes up.

I?m very happy to be a part of the androidcentral community. Everything I?ve learned about Android has been from the forums, so I love giving back by helping make it is a fun, safe place to hang out.

I have to thank caliskimmer and Cory Streater for giving me a chance as a moderator ? I wouldn?t be here if it wasn't for both of them.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Heya all!

I'm Jerry. I'm at middle aged geek, living the quiet life in the foothills of the Blue Ridge mountains with my wife and my dogs. My formal education centered around Electrical Engineering and Machine Vision, but like many an EE in the early 90's I jumped into software development to seek my fortune. I never found it, but I did get to work with some great people on some very interesting projects through the years, ranging from using lasers to determine the mass of raw oysters, to controlling the robotic arms that inject ink in printer cartridges, to figuring out the sugar content of citrus fruit using infrared cameras and pressure gauges. The 1990's was a fun time for anyone with a passport and slide rule who knew their way around the Unix command prompt. As time went by, I found myself stuck at a desk more often than not, doing training classes or R&D work, which I finally realized is a much better gig than romping across the globe once you get a little older.

These days, I spend my time working from home doing a little bit of consulting, and working with Android Central, of course. I've been hooked on smartphones and PDA's since my boss gave me his old BlackBerry 850 pager after he upgraded to the 857 with it's amazingly new rechargable battery and color screen, right around the year 2000. In the summer of 2008 when I first started hearing about the G1, I knew I would be a big fan of Android. Not because it did anything better than my trusty BlackBerry 8830 (back then it didn't), but because it ran on top of the Linux kernel. I've been a huge Linux supporter since its inception, and plan on staying that way. Bury me with my Slackware 1.00 floppy disks please.

An interesting aside -- I have never owned a smartphone that I haven't taken apart. Including the G2 that just went back to T-Mobile :) I love to tinker, and you've probably noticed I spend most of my time here on the site either trying to break things, or make them better -- I haven't decided which happens more just yet. I never thought my need to constantly mess with my phone would turn into something as rewarding and fun as working with Cory, Phil, and the gang here at Android Central.

When not monkeying around with phones and USB cables, I like to fish. Come Spring, don't expect to see me before lunchtime, as one of the perks of living in the wilds of West Virginia is access to all sorts of freshwater fishing. I like to pretend that I'm a fly-fisherman, but in reality I just splash the water and spook all but the boldest fish. But I sure have fun doing it, and a day spent fishing and catching nothing is a better day than not fishing at all. I also like to strum my old beat up flat top, and I'm an aquarium nut. I know there has to be other aquageeks out there, too, so holler at me -- especially if you happen to be a crystal red shrimp breeder. I'm setting up another tank :p

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Moderators of Android Central1

Hi, my name is Larry and I was born and raised in the wonderful state of Michigan. I’m married with 3 kids, 2 boys ages 10 & 8 and my little princess who is 4.

Besides playing with my phone and running around the forums I enjoy playing hockey, golf, boating, and scuba diving.

During the winter I live in ice rinks, both my boys are playing travel hockey and I’m in adult beer league. My daughter just started dancing classes this year after refusing to take my suggestion of playing hockey or figure skating. My wife has played hockey but is taking this year off because our families busy schedule.

In the summer I like to do anything that is on or below the water. The best part of living in Michigan is having the Great Lakes in your back yard. The lakes provide me with a ton of ship wrecks to dive and every few years I will take a trip to the Caribbean for some warm water diving. When I’m not under the water I like boating on the weekends and taking trips to northern part of the lakes by Canada which is very beautiful place to visit.

My first smart phone was a Motorola Q which was very exciting for me to be able to combine my PDA & dumb phone. After 2+ years with the Q I decided to get a Black Berry Curve after a friend’s advice. After using a 3 different Black Berry phones and 100 million battery pulls I decided it was time for change. I was going back and forth between the iPhone and Motorola Droid and since I was on Verizon I ended up purchasing the Droid. Currently I’m using the Droid Incredible and couldn’t be any happier with Android OS which I will never leave. Before coming to Android Central about a year ago I was hanging out on CrackBerry.

I’m self employed since no one besides myself would every hire me. It has it’s up and down but I wouldn’t trade it for anything.

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Hey all. My name is Brad, and I'm a severe Android enthusiast (see: addict) from Baltimore, MD. I am a mod in the Moto, Samsung, and Android Chat Forums

I first entered the smartphone world a few years ago when I picked up a Treo 755p. After a year with that guy, I got sucked into the world of Blackberry with a Curve. But last November, I saw that scary looking Droid eye on TV, picked up an OG Droid the next week at Verizon (using my wife's update in the process!), and haven't looked back since. All of the crazy fun stuff you can do with an Android device has prevented my phones from leaving my hand on any consistent basis, and have enjoyed learning and helping others learn about this awesome mobile platform.

When not noodling around with my Droid X, I usually can be found managing a store for a well-known retailer, or spending time with my awesome wife, who's patience with Android is much appreciated! You can often find me at Orioles or Capitals games (depending on the time of year), and you can always find me on Sunday's in the fall with my butt firmly planted in front of the TV watching the Ravens. I also spend a good bit of time gaming or abusing my Netflix account on my PS3.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone, and doing my small part to continue to make Android Central the premier Android forums on the interwebs

Last edited:

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi my name is Kevin. This is my first day as an moderator and I look forward to many more.

I got started in the smartphone game with a launch day Pre (and yes I remember you Milo from the precentral forums ). I did all the Preware stuff I could then decided that webOS had not really progressed like I had hoped. I then moved on to the EVO, and wow I was amazed. I switched over to T-Mobile for the Optimus T (and to save some money). I'm looking forward to putting together some video guides for the LG phones (especially since I'm guessing a lot of them will be new to Android and smartphones in general).

Now for some personal stuff...

I've worked in the electronics retail industry for most of my life. I've always had a passion for car audio and will once again be working in that industry for a buddy of mine that owns a shop.

I've been with my girlfriend for 2 years and between the two of us we have 5 kids. We're one girl away from the Brady Bunch LOL. They are 8,7,5,4, and 9 months. Yes it's as hectic as it sounds. But I wouldn't trade it for anything.

If anyone has any ideas feel free to hit me up.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
My name is Dylan.
Born and raised in San Diego, where i still live today in my one bed room apartment in the pacific beach area (read: To damn expensive). I'm the youngest moderator at 19, and work on several charter fishing boats during the tourist rush season-for those that dont know what a charter boat is, its where you pay us to take you out on the best fishing trip you could ever have while we do all the work. Also work construction, well, mostly kitchen remodel and cabinet design when im not on a stinky ole' boat. Maybe ill land a job at sprint or best buy in the future.
Played Football and Basketball throughout high school, and still find time to enter beach tournaments on the weekends or hit 24hr fitness with the guys. If you're ever in the San Diego area and you're up for some not-so-friendly competition on the basketball court, dont hesitate to hit me up ;)

For the geeky side of me... :)
I have had dumb phones all my life until August 2010 when the Evo 4G was gifted to me, I immediately fell in love with the the phone along with the android OS in general. I found out about Androidcentral few weeks after i got my Evo and was immediately interested in all the great things i was reading on the forums, i rooted soon after and i still enjoy rom'ing the hell outta my phone.
After I settled into my rooting knowledge a bit, i wondered what else i could do with my stuff and long story short my 10 y.o. PC tri-boots WinXP-Ubuntu-hackintosh, every one of my friends phones is rooted & rom'ed, and my 1990 35th anniversary SC thunderbird's "brain" has been hack-boosted to give me 15 more Horsepower :D

So I can honestly say AndroidCentral has turned me into a Sports loving geek. If there ever was such a combo haha

Anywho, i hope AC can be as great a resource to you all as much as it as been for me and i look forward to helping maintain an awesome community!

Last edited:

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
Hey! My name is Tom and I'm from central Jersey. No I don't pump fists or gtl ;-). I'm 29 and married and have twins (1 boy 1 girl). My wife and I are buying our first house and waiting to here back on a offer as I type. My day job is a manager of investigations for a large retail company. Its fun and pays the bills but my real love is photography and all things android. I started here when I had a blackberry on crackberry and then got the droid 1 and moved over. I then picked up the droid x on launch and love it. In just also got a Xoom on launch and I love it too. For the most part you will find me around the droid x root section and the Xoom and tablet forum. If anyone ever has any questions let me know. I'm always around to help out.

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Obviously, my name is Kevin.

I'm a native Texan, born and raised. Lived in the Dallas area all my life, and absolutely love it. Ever since I was a little kid, I've had a fondness for taking things apart to see how they work, and then try to out them back together. I wasn't always successful with that (R.I.P. my first digital camera, I tried!), but that hasn't stopped me yet!

I recently got married to the love of my life, and we will celebrate our one-year anniversary in May. We're going to Disney! We have two dogs, a house, and hopefully soon, the beginning of a family.

I'm an avid sports fan. Die-hard Cowboys, Mavs, Rangers, and Stars fan! I have a room in my house dedicated to sports memorabilia I have collected over the years, ranging from a Kareem basketball to a Triplets picture from Super Bowl XXX. I call that room my "retirement"!

My first smartphone was a Samsung SCH-i760 running WinMo. Had to have something to run my Slingbox on! It did pretty well, but then the BB Storm came along. Everyone in the family got one, and I had a love-hate relationship with that thing! (I mostly loved to hate it) I longed for a Verizon iPhone, but got tired of waiting... And that's when I met the Fascinate. I love this phone! It does everything I could ever want, and much more. That is, unless I can get a 4.3" version :)

I try to keep up with several tech blogs daily, as well as the forums. When I'm not doing that, I'm working my full-time job as a retail manager (I know, exciting). Pays the bills, though. Technology is definitely one of my passions. So much so that my wedding gift from my wife was an iPad! She hates the thing, but I think she's just jealous. And I can't say she's too thrilled about me taking on this role, but I'll just buy her some flowers every now and then ;)

Thanks again for the warm welcome, and I hope I can help out as much as I can!

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Re: Meet the Moderator's: Post your Bio's here

Hey everyone... just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Eric, born and raised in Staten Island, New York. I'm 30 yrs old... been married for two... and have a beautiful 1 year old daughter. My background is in Visual Communications...aka.. Graphic Design and I own and operate a design and print studio. I also spend time with my partner as a Computer Repair Technician building/fixing computers and laptops and going out in the field answering service calls. I started off and spent many years in the world of Blackberry and decided to switch over to Android as I was fascinated by their touchscreens. Since then I have never looked back and I am amazed by all the customization you can do with these devices. It has become a hobby to me.. some may say it's an addiction.. I call it an obcession.. or as my wife likes to say "a distraction". Oh well, she doesn't seem to mind when I'm fixing or modifying her and her friends phones and keeping them updated on the latest Android news ;). I enjoy anything that has to do with art.. painting, sketching, web design, animation, you get the idea.. as well as pretty much any outdoor activity. I'm some what of an extremest. I look forward to the development of Android and I'm honored to be part of the Android Central team.
See you in the forums..

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Hello all !

Some of you may know me already form my previous position here as an Adviser in the Epic 4g & Nexus S 4G forums. My name is Paul, I'm married for 10+ yrs with 5 children. Born and raised in the great state of Illinois, most notably Chicago and the suburbs. I have always had an interest in computers, the internet and cellular phones. I started out way back in the days of Atari computers, BBS's and as technology grew so did I. My first phone was the old Motorola big brick phone and from there I moved to Nextel, BB and eventually Android.

My actual day life until the last year or two with the economy has been a heavy equipment operator (backhoes, bulldozers, off road trucks) for over 20 years. Now I'm more of a stay at home dad while my wife handles the income as a nurse until things improve in the world and the construction market.

I have a decent background with ROMs, themes and other aspects of Android due to working on building a few ROMs and themes for a few devices. I hope that combined with my general knowledge will help me point you all in the right direction.

I have nothing but great things to say about the community here at Android Central, it was my first choice of forums when I moved to Android and have stuck with them since that day. If it wasn't for people like Cory Streater and the rest of the AC staff I would of never been given a chance to be an adviser and now a moderator.

I hope to provide you all with quality support and add good moderation to my list of goals.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: Bio's

Hello world, this is Dylan. I am an advisor primarily found in the Galaxy Nexus region of the universe.

When not avoiding life's little gifts or flashing a new rom, I'm an attorney who specializes in tax and corporate law. I grew up outside of Philadelphia, and as such I will defend the Eagles, Flyers, Phillies, and to a lesser extent, the Sixers, to the death. Right now I currently reside in Washington, D.C., not by will but by destiny (or so I keep telling myself...).

My passion for the Android operating system is somewhat ironic; were it not for another's love of Apple, I would have never had my first--an HTC Droid Incredible. As friends (and unfortunately, family) around me tasted the fruit from the semi-poisonous tree, I immersed myself in the Android community, finding roms, themes, kernels, and experimenting to hell or high-water with a variety of combinations until my OCD was satisfied with the result. Obviously, this had the tendency to drive me a bit nuts, and it even drove my loved ones to question my grasp of reality. However, through this long, strange trip I gained a lot of common sense with the whole "flashing," "rooting," and "not bricking your phone" thing. And even though my coding abilities are on par with my conversational latin, I enjoy taking what I've learned through experience and sharing it with anyone who asks, needs help, or otherwise tries like I did to be the Johnny Knoxville of rom flashing.

This interest and immersion for Android carried over naturally when I bought the Verizon Galaxy Nexus in late December 2011. I think I was stock (locked and unrooted) for maybe 3 or 4 weeks, then, upon realizing the world of adventure that awaited, I rooted, unlocked, and flashed AOKP. The rest, they say, is history.

Oh, I also enjoy spending time with my fiancee Katie, metal (Sabbath, DOWN, Electric Wizard, Slayer, etc.), science fiction, string theory, tax law (yup, read that again), cooking, automobiles, siberian huskies, and Kevin Costner.

Last edited by a moderator:

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
What up, everybody? My name is Chris, 24 years old, born in the suburbs of Chicago, but a majority of the "raised" part took place in the Carbondale area of Southern IL, which is where I still reside.

I don't have near as rewarding of a career path as these dudes above me yet, I work at a place that is basically the same as Chuck'E'Cheese, but it's pirate themed, and we have laser tag. It takes up a majority of my time, but when I'm not working, I'm messing around with my phone, playing the XBox, or spending time with my friends. No boy / husband to speak of (yes, I'm gay), no kids, but I spend a lot of time with my 4 month old (as of this writing) baby "nephew", who I'm not actually blood related to, but my best friend is my "brother", so his kid is my nephew, and I'm definitely loving it.

I have a dog, he is half Chihuahua, half Dachsund. His name is Moose. Yes, his ears are that big. (Image clickable for full-size.)

I got a cellphone during some intense family times, to keep in touch with everybody. It was some old silver Kyocera thing on Verizon. Moved up to another Samsung dumbphone that couldn't really do anything, but I had fun just opening up the "secret menus" and pushing buttons to see what would happen. When I went to college, I bought a Motorola RAZR and I was in love. That was a sexy phone. I had a lot of fun flashing various versions of it's software available to remove carrier branding, change the look, etc..., I went through quite a few of those, and I would purposely buy one that was not intended for Verizon, just so I could flash the software. I also remember spending time doing other semi-related nerdy things, like putting Linux on my iPod Video, buying Windows XP the day it came out, etc... technology has always been a part of my life.

That being said, I purchased an Android phone, basically on a whim. I had a passing interest in a smartphone, but never was actively seeking one. Walked into Best Buy, saw the sale on Virgin Mobile phones. Went home, checked coverage, checked my bank, went back, bought the Samsung Intercept. Spent about 30 minutes with it, and took it back. That thing was painful. Exchanged for the Optimus V, and I was in love. I honestly don't remember how I came about Android Central, I seem to recall it was from some YouTube video on how to flash CM7, and instantly became attached to the Optimus community here. Everyone was always extremely helpful, willing to take actual time out of their days to solve problems, or to walk you through something, it really made me feel welcome, and I have grown to have an emotional attachment to the community in general. I care about this place, and when some forum drama went down in the OV section, that is when I became a moderator. I was honored to have the opportunity to finally do something for the community, as I have yet to grasp the knowledge of a developer, those guys / gals are crazy smart.

Now, I spend a majority of my time as a moderator reading every post in the Optimus section, and just trying to give back to the community that has done so much for me, to make my first smartphone experience the best that it can possibly be.

Big shout-out to Cory for allowing me to be a part of it all, and the rest of the guys for walking me through it as I go. I'm having a blast. See you all around!

Last edited:
Reactions: Paul627g
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463