1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default BOLD 9700 to Galaxy NOTE

I've been on AT&T using a Blackberry BOLD for over 3 years. Before that, I was on Palm Treo models for 5 years. I'm really drawn to the new Galaxy NOTE, but I hate making such a big change and I'm a little affraid of the open nature of Android and the Google eco system. I do have a couple of gmail accounts but I'm not ALL IN with everything Google offers. Has anyone with similar history and similar reservations taken the plunge from BB OS to this new Galaxy NOTE and how has it worked out for you? I'm new to Android Central and any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks, Sticky Note Man
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    6,356 Global Posts
    ROM
    NOS M7 Sense 5.0

Default Re: BOLD 9700 to Galaxy NOTE

I don't have the Note but did come from BB like many others here and after catching on how the Android OS works it has been very good move IMO. I'm sure after a few days of getting comfortable with your new phone you too will fall in love with Android.

Welcome to AC
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks for the input. I should get my G-Note in a day or two. I'm surely looking forward to the adventure, but I'm going to run both devices for a while to be sure the transition goes smoothly.

Thanks again.

Global Posts
    597 Global Posts

Welcome to AC! I'm a newbie myself and also jumped from a Bold 9700 to the GS2. I absolutely LOVED my Bold to death so the switch was not an easy one to make. I've had my new phone for about a week now and I'm still getting used to all the ins and outs. The transition to the all touch screen is only really irritating when I try to type things as I am still used to the physical keyboard. But there are many great keyboard apps to try and it should be easier for you since the Note is fairly large.

I knew exactly where everything was on my Bold while I am still getting used to my S2, so I think the difference for me is mostly being comfortable with something. There are pros and cons to any phone and anything new will take some time getting used to. I have my Bold still as well but I find myself not using it(probably because I'm still trying new things out on the S2 even though it's been a week lol!). The main thing you'll notice is going to be battery life. It definitely takes some getting used to after coming from a BB that can last you 2~3 days no problem. I've researched endlessly on how to make the most out of my battery and am now sick of worrying about it and just carry my extra battery around(they actually give you a spare one here in Korea. Remember the good old days when they used to do that in the States too?)

I'm sure you won't regret getting one and you will enjoy it
    Benny Girl
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thanks puddin78, I actually just picked up the NOTE at my AT&T store about 2 hours ago and I'm just learning how to use it. I'm afraid it's going to be a tough road for me. I am keeping the BOLD as my primary device until this becomes easier and more automatic. Thanks for your input and let me know if you have any suggestions on smoothing out this transition. I'll be looking online for tips and help during the next few weeks. Thanks again!

Global Posts
    597 Global Posts

You're welcome! I'm sure you will have lots of playing around to do

If I might make a suggestion: I think you should jump totally to the Note. I know it's scary and I know it will be really uncomfortable, but I don't think you can get a really good idea of how to use/make use of your new device if you still carry around and use the old one. Because what will invariably happen is ->you can't find something on your new phone->you get frustrated and use the old one->you never really learn how to get to that function on the new phone.

It will be frustrating no doubt. There are times when I am out and just end up sighing again and again while I try to find something I could find on my Bold in about 2 seconds. But I think it will help you alot in the long run. Definitely keep your Bold for a back-up, but just try using your new phone only. It will force you to become familiar with it and to figure things out.

We're all jumping into the water for the first time; you'll come up swimming don't worry
    Benny Girl
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Yes, normally I would agree. This new device will be more of a secondary device for now. I'm hoping it will sort of replace my iPad in some of my daily needs. I am a service technician and I will use it in the field to take notes, photos and manage my work schedule. I have about 2000 contacts (on the BB) with a hundred or so that I communicate with during any given time period. At this time, I only have about 50 contacts that are integrated with my Google email account. (I guess that's because I have sometimes sent emails from my desktop PC via Gmail) I have only synced my BOLD with my MS Outlook locally, no active sync or Google sync (don't even know how those work yet) I am a little paranoid about having all my contacts in the cloud. I do have a lot to learn and process about this Google/android space we live in. I'm sure I will get the hang of it..
    Thanks again.
    Last edited by Sticky Note Man; 03-15-2012 at 11:36 AM.