Restore data from copied directories?

tchopitoulas

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
I recently upgraded to the leaked 4.0.4 on my skyrocket, but I screwed up the backup and lost about six months worth of new contacts and other data. The details of how I screwed up this fairly simple procedure are more tedious than interesting, but in a nutshell, I thought I was doing something clever and time-saving, but was in fact doing something stupid. Not the first time that has happened, and probably not the last, sad to say.

I did however dump the entire contents of the phone's internal storage onto my laptop as a last resort backup, so my question is, if I use Odin to restore the phone back to the previous version of stock Gingerbread, can I use the copied directories to restore my lost data? I know, or I think I know, that user data is folded into the system directories in ways that can make it less than intuitive to separate it from OS files. Are there certain directories/files that I can replace while in regular usb storage mode, or do I need to use download mode so that I can overwrite system files? Can I convert the old file structure into an Odin image?

Thanks for reading.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs