Razr Maxx Doesn't allow you to use it for file storage

Stephen Carter

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
I was just told by a Motorola support tech that I can only transfer multi-media file (photos, music and videos) to it and other file types are not supported. This appears to be true because my Kaspersky's Password Manager cannot see it to load the portable version to it, like I could on my Bionic using Gingerbread.

My experiences contacting Motorola support for this phone makes feel like my more than a decade of support for this company was misplaced. At this point, I would advise anyone who asks not to purchase a Motorola device. They seem to be forgetting that the devices are for the people who use/pay for them and not for the companies that sell them.

I have not yet attempted to root any android phone because I didn't want to void the warranty. Does anyone know of a way to connect my Razr Maxx's ICS version with a windows computer so I can put the files I want on it without rooting it?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You're getting wrong information from these people. You can easily transfer any file from your computer to your Razr Maxx.

First hook it up to your computer using your USB cable. The first window that will pop up has to do with Motocast--simply hit the red X in the upper right corner to close that box, because you don't want to open it now. Wait a few more seconds, and you'll see 2 windows pop up for 2 different drives--one of them represents the phone's internal storage, the other represents the phone's external SD card. I believe the external SD card that came with the Maxx will be labelled "MOTO"--I can't remember how the phone storage is labelled.

Now, you can treat either of those storage areas on your phone as a drive on Windows, and drag and drop files into whatever folder you want.

If the above isn't working, check your phone, drag down the notification bar, and tap on the USB symbol. It will show a few options for how to connect to the computer--make sure USB Mass Storage is selected.

Let me know if you still have problems.

Jack33

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
This may not be directly on point to your question, but if you are having problem with your computer recognizing Maxx's SD Card (internal and external), make sure you didn't delete Motocast app. I recently bought a new laptop (Toshiba Satellite with Window 8) and it requires Motocast app in order for the computer to recognize my SD Card ext on my Maxx. I didn't have this problem with Window 7 on my HP laptop. I had the hardest time trying to figure out what was wrong, until I remembered that I recently erased Motocast from my Maxx. Go figure.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the info--I wonder if that's peculiar to Windows 8. I have disabled Motocast on my stock Maxx, and I am still able to access both internal storage and external SD as separate drives on Windows Explorer on 7. Sometimes it just takes a while for those drives to pop up on Windows.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084