1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Hi all! I have some noob questions!

Hi all! Just wanted to make my introduction, I plan to buy a Note 2 for AT&T as my first android phone. I look forward to exploring android.

But I have one (or two) big (to me ) question! I plan to root the note 2 and probably put on stock android asap. I just have one big question: Themeing. I asked this question on XDA, and have received 0 replies. I have googled extensivly and not found an answer. Are themes universal? I don't mean launcher, but complete themes. The note 2 looks like it won't have very much community support...so I'd at least like to be able to theme it. Or do most themes need a custom rom to work?

Also, are android mods universal? Or do I have to find it specifically for a phone. Say a mod is application specific, does that mean it will work on all android phones?

Sorry for the noob questions! I'm coming from iOS, where all of our mods are very organized and require little to no interaction besides two clicks on the phone itself.

If I need to clarify what kind of theme, I will find a link =)

Thanks for any replies!
    Last edited by SchusterIX; 10-10-2012 at 10:03 PM.

Default Re: Hi all! I have some noob questions!

Welcome to AC.

Unfortunately no themes are not universal. With the varying differences in ROMs today themes made to flash are usually "ROM specific" meaning if it was built originally for ROM xyz, then its meant to only be flashed when running ROM xyz. Not to say that it wouldn't flash over the top of another custom ROM but in the process it could "break" things because of differences in mods, ROM features, coding, etc... By breaking things I don't mean permanent damage to your device but it made flash okay but you loose function of your browser or status bar, something doesn't come out kosher on the other side after the flash....

Mods are very similar and again then depend on what they are intended to be used in conjunction with. So if a mod to change your On Screen buttons is for custom ROM running CM9 it maybe not work on CM10...

Best thing to do always is check with the developer of the theme or mod before flashing in the dark... And always make a Nandroid backup of your current working setup before you flash any new stuff so you have something that works to restore to in the event of problems.

Enjoy the forums.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Hrm, ok thanks. I see many themes that don't list a rom specific though, so I would assume that it'd be for naked android. Ofcourse they don't seem to like to mention what rom the theme is for lol. Guess I'll have to poke around more in the themeing department of some forums. But for mods, are app specific mods universal? Such as a mod for pandora. I would think it'd be universal, seeing how it is an app and not tied to a specific rom.

Thanks for the reply! I've been googling that themeing question for months and no results!

Yes I would assume if its an app related mod or maybe something more universal as your saying it may work across the board for the make/model of device.

On the themes, if its something for AOSP which usually is a Cyanogen Mod build then it will probably work.. Again just be safe and make the backup before flashing and see what happens.. Worst case you just revert back to your old setup/backup.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

what ive found handy is forum trolling to find something interesting, then browsing on youtube to see if theres a video about it. alot of times youll get alot more info that way because the guy didnt have to type