1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Another Droid Noob

Hello,

I have been a longtime Blackberry user (Palm & Windows before that) and just recently switched to Android. I have lurked around here for a bit and now that I have taken the plunge I thought I had better join. I will spend most of my time reading and very little time posting/asking questions. I am looking forward to learning more about what makes a Droid tick and will dabble in rooting and hybrid rom installation once I figure out how not to brick my phone.

Take care,
    Don

ROM
    Android 2.3.4 :-(

Default Re: Another Droid Noob

What device do you have?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBR View Post
    What device do you have?
    Noob move, I should have listed that. I currently have a VZW DroidX. Though that might change once I do more research. I have unlimited data and I am interested in upgrading to a good reliable used 4G phone.

ROM
    Android 2.3.4 :-(

Quote Originally Posted by AllThumbz View Post
    Noob move, I should have listed that. I currently have a VZW DroidX. Though that might change once I do more research. I have unlimited data and I am interested in upgrading to a good reliable used 4G phone.
    Unfortunately I know nothing about your device. I have a Samsung Galaxy Ace. It's a lower end device, but I squeeze what I can out of it. I rooted mine, so I can do more than it usually does, but sometimes I ask too much of it and it coughs.

If you decide to stick with Android, get a great device if you can. The Galaxy S3 is a wish of mine, but there are many other great ones. Look for one with lots of internal RAM (say 16Gb - Mine has about 0.25 Gb, so I depend on SD card / Link2SD) and with a great processor.

Do you need root? Maybe not. Only go for it if you really want to do something that can't be done without it. A rooted phone may once in a while do something weird, like reboot. Not frequent, but expected. Seldom happens to mine.

If you can do a full backup of the ROM before rooting, that would be great, but you probably can't. So first thing to do one you've rooted is to look for an alternative Recovery mode that will backup your ROM/RAM and all (a NAND backup). Maybe your device's recovery mode does that already? I doubt it. On my Galaxy Ace I put a specific version of Clockwork Mod, which does such backup. And do a backup once in a while, in case something goes terribly wrong. But since I don't tweak around much now, nothing should go wrong.

There's a lot to learn. Search the forums and ask if needed.

Enjoy!