Long time iPhone user trying to find the right Android phone

sonicresidue

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone. I've been reading this, and other, Android forums for several weeks trying to learn more about Android and the various devices available. I've been using (now antiquated) iPhone 3G since 2009 and was set on an iPhone 5 but thought I would look into trying something different this time around. I've been doing a LOT of research but have yet to find a phone that really grabs me. The only phone I've found I really like is the Asus Padfone2, but that isn't available in the U.S., at least not without paying way more than I'm willing to.

I've been looking at the Nexus 4, Galaxy S3, HTC One, Motorola Atrix, and occasionally looked at the Sony Xperia. None of them have really grabbed me. My biggest issue is bloatware and all the modifications carriers and manufacturers do to Android. On the other hand, I'm not against rooting the phone and installing a custom ROM. I jailbroke my iPhone so I'm not against modding a phone at all. I would just like to start with a clean slate.

Almost settled on a Moto Atrix HD, but I have read that although it's an 8gb phone, it only has close to 4 gb available for use. I did like that the OS didn't seem to be tinkered with too much. S3 is great, but it looks and feels a bit cheap in the hand. TouchWiz (and HTC sense) is just too cluttered looking for me. Otherwise it's a pretty slick phone. I love the concept of the Nexus phone, but am waiting to see some reviews first. I am a bit concerned about LG's build quality, and an early review knocks the call quality (I do need my phone to be a good PHONE as well!).

Two questions I have - If a phone has a "locked" bootloader, does this mean it can't be rooted? Are their any Android phones that one should stay away from if I wish to root in the future? Also, why do carriers screw with Android and "bloat" it with junk no one wants? I understand Android is open source, but the thing I liked about Apple is that they don't allow carriers to do this, and software updates come through Apple and there is no waiting. It would be great if Google could find a way of tempering this a bit.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it! I'd like to settle on something soon. I've been itching for an upgrade for quite a while. I value a clean, efficient UI, good call quality and fast data speeds. Don't really use my phone for games nor do I store a lot of media on it.

alikoyyy

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
If you want a phone roughly the size of the iphone and considering an xperia, the xperia p is not too bad a choice considering it's now on ics. I love the design and the material feels premium, it has an aluminum unibody. Also fast, with a superb display, and I find sony's skins light and very slick looking. :) ive used it for a couple of months paired with the smartwatch and I love it. Nonexpandable memory though, nonreplaceable battery, and although they've promised a jellybean update, who knows when that's actually going to arrive. There's an xperia v coming out soon too which has a 13mp camera and is waterproof/ dustproof and looks real sweet. A lot of people I know are waiting for it. Sony says it's to be released at the end of this year.

You won't go wrong with an htc one x either. It's one of the phones I was considering before. The reviews have been generally favorable except for the battery life but that's going to be fixed with the one x+. Same though, nonexpandable, nonreplaceable battery.

The sgs3 has made a lot of users happy but I seriously can't recommend it because I didn't want it myself. Weirdly the build of the sgs3 that didn't appeal to me seemed better looking on the large galaxy note 2 which I also have now. This phone is amazing, runs jellybean or of the box and the battery life is really really good. I'll tell you it becomes a non issue after a while but if you want a pocketable regularly sized phone, this isn't it.

And then there's the nexus 4. It's your best bet if you want regular software updates, and the specs are none too shabby either. Most of the gripes I have read is over the lack of LTE and the limited memory but if you can live with those, it's the phone you want. :)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Android Central Forums

sonicresidue

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I don't mind it being bigger than the iPhone. The S3 is right on the verge of being too big, especially with a case. I do like being able to pocket my phone, but most of the phones I'm looking at are all bigger than an iPhone anyway. Expandable memory is great, but 16GB is plenty for me. My 8 gb iPhone is just over half full. I have several apps but don't load it with a lot of music.

The lack of LTE bugs me, but many say there isn't an appreciable difference between LTE and HSPA+. I'm currently on AT&T so I will either stick with them or look into doing a prepaid option like many here do. Still, LTE would be nice as it's becoming more prevalent. And a contract free Nexus means I still have an upgrade available if I want to go with a carrier LTE phone.

If Asus produced the Nexus phone, I would be all over it in a heartbeat.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm actually considering going to an iphone, but if I were choosing and android on at&t I'd go One X or Atrix HD or most likely a Nexus 4, HSPA+ is really speedy. The displays on those phones are amazing. Clarity on AMOLED is disappointing.

sonicresidue

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I don't know what AT&T's HSPA+ speeds are like in Dallas, but I'm told T-Mobile's are very good and comparable to LTE. The lack of memory killed the Atrix HD for me unfortunately.... How customizable is the HTC Sense interface without rooting? The stock form of the interface is incredibly ugly to me.

Last edited:

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Nothing Nova Prime can't fix. There are some AMAZING roms for the One X. This alone makes a rom worth it:
Screenshot_2012-08-06-11-20-40.png

aimeeinohio

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I just went from iPhone 4 to Galaxy s3.....Got it yesterday.By last night I was ready to chuck the thing out the window....but today it's better. I'm just telling you, if you enjoy the way iPhone runs, you will be overwhelmed at first! There are a few things I miss BUT I am enjoying the phone now. LOVE the huge screen... I have an Incipio case on it, so it didn't add a lot of bulk, but hubby switched as well and is OtterBox-ing his.

sonicresidue

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I liked the SG3, but the look and feel was kind of "meh". I probably sound overly picky though. The biggest thing that's killing it for me is all the tinkering and bloatware that manufacturers and providers add when they "customize" the phone and the slow updates. It's like they're saying "Look at all this great stuff we added!", and I'm looking at it thinking "That stuff sucks, can't you get rid of it?" I know you can root and change it, but I feel as though I want a phone Im happy with first without having to mess with it, then customize as I see fit. The only thing that has me on the fence about the Nexus is the lack of LTE and Im trying to weigh how important that is. Plus Im waiting for reviews to comment on audio and call quality.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I liked the SG3, but the look and feel was kind of "meh". I probably sound overly picky though. The biggest thing that's killing it for me is all the tinkering and bloatware that manufacturers and providers add when they "customize" the phone and the slow updates. It's like they're saying "Look at all this great stuff we added!", and I'm looking at it thinking "That stuff sucks, can't you get rid of it?" I know you can root and change it, but I feel as though I want a phone Im happy with first without having to mess with it, then customize as I see fit. The only thing that has me on the fence about the Nexus is the lack of LTE and Im trying to weigh how important that is. Plus Im waiting for reviews to comment on audio and call quality.

LTE and storage is the deal breaker for me on that one have heard some reviews state that the way it is made calls might end up suffering pretty badly.

I am a pretty bad serial rom flasher, but I keep coming back to one rom. I think if you rom, you end up finding one you like and stick with it. I run a version of Aosp and it is updated all the time. I can see me running 4.2 before the end of the year...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

sonicresidue

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
LTE is the only potential deal breaker with me. 16 GB is plenty of storage, and I'll be fine without a removable battery. However, it looks like I can sign up with T-Mobile and get faster HSPA+ speeds, and pay $25/month less compared with my AT&T service.

I'm leaning more toward the Nexus 4, because the one thing that kills my interest in Android is all the bloatware, manufacturer UIs and having to wait for updates. I really value a clean, efficient looking device and UI that I can customize if I want. With the other phones I feel as though I would have to spend time undoing all of their "customization" before using the phone. Especially given that there will be a learning curve for me, coming from iOS. I understand Android is open source and is freely given to manufacturers and carriers, but I don't understand why Google can't reign this in a bit. Especially since Apple doesn't let carriers put bloatware on their phones. The only unknowns are - 1) Don't know if I should hold out hope for an LTE version on AT&T 2) Call quality I've also been taking a look at Sony's newest Xperia offering.

Plus, if for whatever reason I don't like the N4 I can sell it and go to something else without any contract or ETF issues.

JobiWan144

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
It really sounds like you want a Nexus 4. If your not satisfied with the call quality or an AT&T LTE version comes out, you can just resell it for close to the $349 you originally spent on it.

sonicresidue

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I'm thinking I should just be safe and try to find one in person when T-Mobile gets it. And that's a good point about resale. My other option is to try T-Mobile. On the other hand I have friends on AT&T with an iPhone 4S and they don't seem to be complaining about data speeds.

Guess that settles that!

zapfrog

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Looked at the One X and GS3 but this was weeks before the N4 was released. Coming from the iPhone myself I too thought "who on earth would like a screen that big?" now I can't fathom going back to a smaller screen. Like others have said I thought the GS3 was cheap feeling at least the back panel but now my GS3 is in an otterbox defender case and I don't worry about the cheap feeling. Also the otterbox doesn't add much bulk.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

sonicresidue

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Well, I've long since decided on a N4. I really don't think I'd be happy with anything else besides an Asus Padfone2. It just sucks having to wait it out. I tried one in a T-Mobile store, did a speed test and got 10-15 Mbps down. Seemed plenty fast to me, so my only concern of no LTE has been taken care of.

The wait stinks but I refuse to pay a scalper or $500 through T Mobile

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2