Hello from Germany

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Hello everybody from beautiful Hamburg.
I'm coming from the Apple-Side of life (I'm considering to switch again, if they decide to keep up with the "we-glue-every-hardware-together-to-one-piece"-idea -.- ), but recently I just fell just in love with the new Nexus 4 (no I didn't get one yesterday? I'm still waiting until I can touch it and test it in a store). I've been using an iPhone4 before, but I really like to tweak things a little, that's why the first thing I did was jailbreaking it, and I was quite annoyed, when I accidentally updated and there was no jailbreak available.
Well, that all should change in a few weeks to months (yes I can wait :D ), for the meantime I'm using a cheap samsung with real! buttons hehe

I was a reader before, but signed up here because now I have a specific question. I tried to search for the answer, but couldn't find the correct one. Also not sure, if this is the right place to ask, but I just try :)

So? my mom has been using my old laptop (wow, it's like 8 years old now), but it's starting to get some problems, don't know how long it will work anymore. We mostly use it to skype (because shes back home in Austria, and calling is just to expensive), but the mic and camera stopped working. So she's already considering a new laptop, or? a tablet. And that's where I thought about the nexus 7. But I'm not sure if a tablet can replace a whole computer.
I mean, my mom's using the laptop just for checking mails, skyping, browsing the internet (shopping on amazon, booking a flight, or something).
There's no doubt the nexus can't do that, but I was wondering if the screen is big enough for someone who has to use reading-glasses. Or is it possible to adjust the font-size in the browser? Because some text might be really difficult to read, especially when it comes to fine print.
Is there, eventually, an app where I can remote the tablet? If I get my mom a tablet I'm to blame for everything that doesn't work and I am the support. So the easiest thing would be, if there is an app where I can have access via the www (because there are 900kilometers/~550miles between us) and take care of the problems.
I've read somewhere in the nexus 7 forum, that it's not possible to rotate the screen to landscape mode without an extra-app. I'd like to keep everything as simple as possible. Or maybe they solved that problem with JB 4.2?

So do you think the nexus 7 would be a good device for someone who doesn't have a lot of experience with gadget and also don't want to deal with it in depth? Or should I consider another tablet? A bigger one? No tablet and a new Netbook or Laptop?
Maybe you have similar experiences and can share them with me :)

So long, nice to be here,
Markus

duddy23b

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Good Morning Markus welcome I see you already checked into the Nexus 7 forum, I'm sure you will found all the answers to your questions eventually hang in there fella enjoy the ride

X0LARIUM

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Hi there..

Sounds a bit like me and my dad's situation.

He too has an issue with font(don't blame him as its his age) on the desktop + I couldn't see him sitting on the chair uncomfortably for hours. The solution? I got him an iPad 2.

Did it help? In a way. Now before I get flamed for saying it, I just want to say, keeping the OS differences aside, it is parents we are talking about here. They can go from totally cranky to completely intolerable in certain situations.

Yes, today, he Skype's with his brother in the US. Reads articles, newspapers, magazines, plays some really simple games etc.

Also, consider a Windows 8 tablet. Against the reviews it is drawing, it is actually a simple OS. It all depends in your functionality, budget and availability in your country.

Do let me know if you want any further help/ clarification.

Sent from my RaZr HD.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca