Nexus 7, Fire HD or Galaxy II 7.0?

Doc_V

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Hello all I'm new to the site and looking to pull the trigger on my first tablet however, I can't seem to decide between the Nexus 7 16GB, Kindle HD 8GB or Galaxy 2 7.0 8GB.

Apps aren't a huge issue, as I only need basics. Not concerned about media content either. I use my iPhone for music and Nexflix for video. I would like to use Skype Video and simple word processing app with an external keyboard. Battery life would be important too, since I want to use it in remote places from time to time for writing. And while an SD expansion card would be real nice, it's not a deal breaker.

Looking to spend around $200.

I'd like to hear about real world, everyday use and recommendations.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thx

Doc_V

Last edited:

lynnneil

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Re: About to buy my first tablet. ...Could use some advice.

Nexus 7 would be ideal option. In terms of battery life i would go for Galaxy 2 7.0.

Xopher

Trusted Member
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Nexus 7: Fast processor, latest version of android, no rear camera, front facing camera works for Skype and other apps, no SD card slot (but does allow access to flash drives via OTG cable), very customizable. No HDMI output.

Fire HD: High resolution screen, simple carousel launcher, no rear camera, front facing camera for Skype (may not work for other apps), no SD slot or OTG support, full Amazon experience, including HD viewing of Amazon Prime videos. HDMI output for viewing on a big screen.

Galaxy II: Older version of Android, front and rear cameras, I believe it does have an SD slot. Not sure about HDMI output. The headphone jack does support audio in, so you can connect a set that includes a microphone (if you want to use a mic for Skype). The other two just have audio out through the headset jack.

It all depends on how you are going to use it.