New Android-user [Nexus 7]

MathiasVerden

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Hey, everyone! As you all know december 24th is just a little over a week away, and I just bought my own christmas gift, a Nexus 7! I partially paid for it, which is why I know what I'm getting, and because of all the rumors out there, I was allowed to check it out for a few hours so I could see if everything was ok. The device itself seemed perfect, except from the back making noises when holding the device tightly, which doesn't scare me nor surprise me in any way. When I first turned it on I was surprised at how smooth and fast it was, it's scary stuff.

I have an iPad 2 and as an apple-fanboy I've tried all the latest iDevices, but let me just tell you this (if you don't already know) the Nexus 7 is faster and smooth than anything I've ever used. Applications launch instantly, and I haven't experienced any lag at any given time. I've never heard anything good about Android from anyone I know, which is likely due to people choosing cheap HTC Sense phones. I did a little research and was surprised at how much you can do with Android, even something as simple as music in the cloud can't be found on other platforms (or at least not where I've been looking) which is a great example of Android's functionality.

I can't wait to do more with my Nexus 7, and personally I've enjoyed using Cydia on my iPad 2, but I've always felt like it took forever and ruined everything pretty easily. I'd love to hear if you guys have any suggestions or ideas to what I should do or what I should get for my first Android device! I've already invested in 3 different stores, so I'm probably not going to go on a download-spree anytime soon, but if there's something valuable and something I need to have (even TSF Shell, which isn't exactly inexpensive) then I'm willing to pay :D I've actually saved so much by buying a Nexus 7, that I have about $200 just for applications and extras (might get the dock) which I hope will last me some time.

P.S. swype does not appear to be anywhere on my Nexus 7, even though it worked perfectly on the one I checked out in the store where I bought mine. I've checked settings and found it to be turned on by default, but even following guides from other websites doesn't seem to work out for me :(. Swype isn't in the Play Store and I'd really love to check it out and perhaps use it if it's it is indeed faster.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It isn't called Swype on the N7--it's called gesture typing. Go to Settings/Language and Input, hit the settings icon next to Android keyboard, and check Enable gesture typing.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

adammcgovern

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Although I am happy to see that you are excited with your new android tablet(and looking forward to a phone) I have to call you out on your description of HTC devices. In the Android community it's pretty well known that HTC has excellent build quality. I'm not sure if it's one of their selling points, but I wouldn't be surprised. There are a number of different manufacturers for the Android platform and many of them put out phones ranging from lower end to higher end, similar to the range of blackberry's product line. This isn't a knock on you and I'm definitely not a troll, but a few minutes of information verification would have steered you in the right direction. By the way, I own a Samsung phone

MathiasVerden

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
It isn't called Swype on the N7--it's called gesture typing. Go to Settings/Language and Input, hit the settings icon next to Android keyboard, and check Enable gesture typing.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

And I've already enabled it, yet it doesn't seem to function at all :/

Although I am happy to see that you are excited with your new android tablet(and looking forward to a phone) I have to call you out on your description of HTC devices. In the Android community it's pretty well known that HTC has excellent build quality. I'm not sure if it's one of their selling points, but I wouldn't be surprised. There are a number of different manufacturers for the Android platform and many of them put out phones ranging from lower end to higher end, similar to the range of blackberry's product line. This isn't a knock on you and I'm definitely not a troll, but a few minutes of information verification would have steered you in the right direction. By the way, I own a Samsung phone

I own an HTC phone myself, and the build quality is just amazing (I'd prefer a soft-touch on the back though). The thing is HTC used to make a lot of slow brown phones with small screen, and even the more expensive ones were's equipped with good enough cameras. When I bought my HTC phone a lot of people were just telling me how slow their phones were and awfully bad their cameras were. None of this turned out to be true, but that's only because I got a phone more expensive than the Nexus 4. After what I've heard about Android and bloatware, I've somewhat been scared into not buying older devices and other than the HTC DNA I don't think I would ever consider buying anything but a Nexus device when it comes to Android.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz