another noob here with a ? before I get more confused

Jeff Blackwell

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I've had an Optimus V for a couple of years now, got tired of it so I went and bought the HTC Evo V 4G. Kept Virgin Mobile plan ($10 more, same #...). OV still works except for phone. Is it possible to root OV or would it be considered a non-activated phone? Would like to know before I possibly screw it up any further.
thanks for any info given.
:confused:

Imnutsnj

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
The LG Optimus V is very easy to root, just download gingerbreak 1.20, (you don't have to have service to root) . I still have an OV here that I still mess around with. You will also find that your new phone is not to difficult to root either, I have one of those as well.

Sent from my Jelly Bean flavored HTC DROID DNA

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
As Imnutsnj said, you can definitely still root the device. You can turn off cellular services and use it as a WiFi-only device, if that's the type of solution you're looking for.

Jeff Blackwell

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
ok i dont know what i did wrong. i did get to the point where it said if superuser is in apps then phone is rooted. after that is where i started to lose direction copying files to sd backup folder. In android terminal emulator entered text up to - flash image recovery /sdcard/"a.img". then it kept giving me error sdcard img not found. Got fed up with it and ended up wipeing cache and user info.
Am i wasteing my time or what??

Imnutsnj

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Superuser isn't going to root your phone. Download Superuser and install
Download Gingerbreak 1.20 install/run
You will be rooted.
There is a ton of information on Android Central about this phone.
Have fun!

Sent from my Jelly Bean flavored HTC DROID DNA